• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Bear Lake Reports

Has anyone been out in White Bear Lake recently and had any success? I was out with two friends last night fishing the humps in Birchwood with no success. Any reports would be appreciated!

Was out last weekend and got into some good crappies and sunnies... Stayed in the first part of the lake... Seen a 45in+ muskie right behind the boat just a foot under the water .... No camera but that would have been a nice pic !!!

Was out today and fished the south arm. (Where the heck is Birchwood, anyways?) Caught more than my share of 8" perch and 20" norhterns. Marked lots of fish but no takers. Did see lots and lots of sunnies on the camera in 12-15 fow in the weeds. Last fish of the day was a 16" smallmouth that looked like it had been run through a lawnmower. One side had an open sore about the size of a quarter and the other side was missing a bunch of scales. Nice size fish.

Lindy rigs with fatheads for the perch and bass, and this time I tried a new crankbait and only used it a little bit but the slime darts just killed it. It's a Salmo Yellow Dace. Kinda spendy at $10 for a 2 1/2 inch crank.

Was out on memorial day and did really good for bass early in the morning fishing tops of shallow weed beds. later in the day we got mostly northerns and a decent crappie fishing the deeper weed edges with cranks and jigworms. My dad lost a northern going 6-8lbs., not bad for WB.

We saw 4 or 5 muskies cruising around also. I got bitten off by a decent one throwing plastics for bass.

WBL hot today! (Friday)... windy and cloudy... unsettled weather.. must be a good thing.. We caught around 15 pike and 15 bass in 4 hours... C&R.. mostly on plastics- tubes and craws and sinking minnows. Very fun! Most were on the smaller side.. but a few great bass.

Wonder why so many pike are small on WBL.. so many.. seems so rare to get a nice pike.. what happens to them? confused.gif Although I did have one so big I didn't get to see him.. broke my fireline.

EDIT: See the yellow spinnner to your left? THAT'S the one I lost tonight... frown.gif

EDIT: NOW my avatar shows my latest favorite lure.. a wacky rigged bubblegum senko! smile.gif

sylster

Maybe it wasnt a pike that broke your line. IT certainly could have been but I have personally seen a few really big muskies out there. I havent had the pleasure of hooking up with any out there yet however. laugh.gif

I was out today, Sunday June 5th. Was pan fishing with my kids, wife, parents, brother and sister-in-law. All in a pontoon. Seemed to me that the bite is getting better out there. Caught a ton of sunnies (probably a dozen of good size), 5 bass, 1 Pike, and 1 crappie. We were out there for only 2 1/2 hours.

We caught 2 decent size bass while bobber fishing with leeches. My brother and I switched to a spinner and a crank, and caught 2 right away. But the weather was turning bad quick and we left. Can't wait to get out there and try that spot again.

I will be hitting it this weekend for walleyes and muskies possibly. I have been out there a few times living only 2 miles away. But will be picking up my new boat tomorrow. I caught a 46" muskie last year in 40' of water fishing for eyes off the big point accross from the island.

Was out again tonight after work for 2 1/2 hours. The 3 of us caught about 10 bass, 2 northern, and 1 sunnie. We were mostly throwin crankbaits and drifting across a bay that was 5 feet deep. We were picking up fish everywhere in the bay. The last 45 minutes it got really windy as the front was moving in and the fish just shut down.

I caught the sunfish on a small lipless crank. It was the biggest sunfish I had ever caught. I am thinking this is what is referred to as a "bull" on this site. I am waiting for my brother to get home and send me the pic. I will post it later.

Good evening of fishing....

• 1 month later...

I was out this morning from 6 t0 10 and did pretty well. Caught 3 bass, 4 northerns a few nice sunnies, and saw a giant Muskie roll right next to the boat. I would say very clost to 50". One of my bass was a 17" Smallie. I would say I saw a good day on the lake. Anyone else been out lately? On WBL?

I made it out early Saturday morning and a pretty good day as well. The fish were definetely in feed mode. We found a spot and eventually anchored right in the middle of a large school of shad that hung around the boat for a couple hours. Northerns and bass were busting them up all morning. The boat ended up with a good number of decent sized largemouth and northerns. Lost one bass bass to a particularly aggressive northern. Reeled him in up to the boat and as I was getting ready to get him out, about a 30-36" northern came out of nowhere, jumped out of the water shredded the bass, cleared the back corner of the boat and smacked off the motor and back into the water. Never seen anything like that before.

And now for the craziest part of the day. In the middle of some fishing for sunnies in the same spot my buddy hooked up with one, had him on for a few seconds, then something drilled it and took off and the fight was on. 5-10 minutes later we saw what the culprit was. Easily the largest muskie I've ever seen had his bullgill stuck in his clamps. Got him up to the side of the boat snapped some pics and got a rough measurement at easily 50". The muskie eventually got tired of trying to fight with the bluegill and let go after letting us watch at the side of the boat for a few minutes and swam back off in the water.

Hit a few more spots later on and also got a few more bass and some small snakes then the pleasure boaters eventually ran us off the lake.

Only had a film camera so I'll try to post some pics of that muskie after they are developed.

Shad in White Bear Lake? confused.gif

Sounds like you had a good day no matter what type of baitfish they were. grin.gif

Dont what they were for sure, just assumed, first time I've ever fished there. What ever it was it was a huge school.

What you see quite often on WBL are massive schools of 3" sunfish dimpling the surface. Actually, you'll see that on lots of lakes with ultra-high sunfish populations. And, you're right by fishing around them. They are a predator magnet.