• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody actually from Duluth?

I see a lot of talk about the BWCA, but was wondering, are there any anglers out there from Duluth/Superior area? Lets chat eh.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

I'd love to swap canoe country stories with you, but I have not been able to go into the boundary waters since the 1960s for health reasons -- Great memories, though.

I used to take the Gunflint Trail when it was just that, a trail. My Dad was a boundary waters guide in the 1920s and 30s.
A favorite lake of mine was Plummes, a couple lakes and a few portages above Northern Light.

Good luck and enjoy the BWCAW.

Guess what, Lundman -- I misread your post. I thought you wanted to share boundary water info. I see, instead, you were looking for Duluth area folks. Used to live in Duluth, but fished only Superior and the St. Louis River.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lundman,I'm from the area. Fished Sup-entry yesterday w/suckers no bites.Heard Fish Lake might be starting, but don't know for sure, gonna be warm Saturday. Might do some sniffin this weekend.

Hey Lundman, just wanted to let you know that there are people from Duluth in this forum. I haven't been out on the ice yet, but hopefully over the holidays. Talk to you later.

Magman

Lundman,
Another one from around Duluth. I hit lake superior early in the year for salmon and trout and fish the St Louis river the rest of the summer/fall. Unfortunatly put away my boat at the beginning of Nov, could be out trolling the harbor or jigging near Hwy 23 for eye's right now if I hadn't!!!
Bring on the ice!! Xplorer

As per your post, I'm another person in Duluth. I just put the trolling board mast and two down riggers on my 16ft boat, as my 24 foot is stored for the winter. I hope to try some trolling out of Knife River. If not there, perhaps out of Two Harbors. I've never done that at this time of year, but I'd be willing to see how that shakes out. Anyone out there ever do that this time of year? If so, did you use small spoons or plugs?

evntam, You can probably still launch at Two harbors while the weathers still warm. Don't know about Knife River, might be closed. Another place is Bluebird Landing by Shorecrest Supper Club, kindda unimproved but usually open water, will need 4x4. I havn't been out in 2 years but everything was on the surface, they usually use floating stuff like Rapalas, Bombers, Normans ect.. I'm not a expert, but I hope this helps ya. might want to do a little scouting on those launches.

evntam,
I used to go out in my 16ft/30hp during winter/early spring and slow troll for mainly loopers. Stickbaits were the best (my favorites are the bombers, they have a wide wiggle even at slow speeds) but spoons will also produce. I always set one out for variety. You may also pick up a stray salmon here and there, coho or jacks.
I second the "only 4-wheel drive" at bluebird landing. Even with 4-wheel, be careful cause the rocks are loose and icy. If you ever need a second in the boat,give a shout on this board I'm always nuts enough to go out no matter how cold! My boat is tucked away til the shallow sand bite starts in March (hopefully!!!) Xplorer

Thanks for your posts guys. Have a nice Christmas and New Year. If the pattern of warm weather continues after the holidays, I just might try to get out for some late season trolling.
I've seen boats at Blue Bird before. I've got a 4X4, but I'd hate to have to load a boat onto a trailer there if the waves kick up. On the other hand, I would like to fish in front of the Sucker R. Ah, decisions, decisions.
FYI - I put Amsoil in the lower unit of my 25HP, and found that it works nice in the cold weather. I tried it the first time on the Rainy River in March 3-4 years ago. It is a bit more spendy, but I've liked it.

------------------
Ev

Hey, wow, thanks for all the responses guys. I don't fish a whole lot on the big lake, but have been wanting to try it out. I played around this spring a little along park point, and the south shore, but nothing. Probably not using the right baits, or in the wrong spots, not sure which. Sure could use some advice, and/or, hitch a ride with some that know what they are doing. As for ice fishing, I do a fair amount of that locally, mostly on Fish, and on the River in the winter. Make some trips to places like Winnie, Lake of the Wood at Baudette, and/or Long point. I also get out down in Wi. some too, since my in laws live in Cable. Looking forward to keeping the chat going on this board, and maybe meeting some of you soon. Thanks again for the responses. By the way, my e-mail addy is:
[email protected]
Shoot me one if ya want.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

Unfortunately I had to leave Duluth after College because of the job market frown.gif , currently in Iowa (cornhole of the US).

I used to frequent the endless streams around Duluth and quickly learned where and how to catch brookies, browns, splake, and native rainbows with just a #10 hook and half a crawler. I would always come back with 5 - 10 nice fish in the 10-19" range. Yes, 16" brooies, 19" browns, and loads of 10-15" native rainbows above the posted boundaries.

I'm talking the Lester, Amity, Knife, French, Sucker, Midway, Talmadge, Rocky Run, Gooseberry, Temperance, Cascade, Caribou..every river I tried. I've found numerous beaver dams, waterfalls, man made pools...(heaven) and 90% of the time stayed south of Two Harbors. All I had to do to convince the sceptics was bring them along.

Mid winter in the holes of the ice created by the waterfalls on the Lester River.

I didn't bother trying the GREAT lake when I found the best fishing ever that everyone seemed to overlook.

Now living in Iowa the nearest wann-a-bee trout stream is 3 hours away, stocked with paved trails and handicapped accessible. Wishing I hadn't wasted the opertunity to drive 10 miles and fish until the sun said no more on all those hung over Saturdays.