• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Colors/Rigs

getting ready for next weeks trip up to the big pond and was just wondering what the hot colors and rigs have been lately??? All info is appreciated

good luck & good fishin'

fishgutz

Colors for me so far this season have gone from the hammered gold to a perch bait fish pattern, Although last weekend color didnt seem to matter one bit to the fish, 3 of us limited out 2days straight and I used about every color i could think of seeing what the bite was on,all did very well but that gold and perch pattern did the best

Day in and day out, hammered gold, and hammered silver are no brainers. Beyond that, you'll have to experiment with whatever you have in the box. I think adjusting your weight as the wind speed change is more important than color on LOW. You want just enough weight to tickle the bottom, which can be anywhere from a half ounce up to two ounces--depending on the wind/depth.

Sorry, I'm talking about spinner rigs tipped with minnow, leech, or crawler (bring all three). I got in the habit of using bottom bouncers, but a lot of people use chain sinkers, foam walkers, and/or sliding sinkers for weight. I haven't noticed a difference in bites with one type of weight vs another.

My parents just got back from the big lake. They fish on the warroad side. The filled out 3 days in a row.

They where using hammer gold spinners with silver hooks. They used worms and leeches. They said the worms seemed to catch more fish.

Okay I will spill the beans on my semi secret weapon! A couple years ago I got to prefish with a pwt pro from washington state. He turned me onto smile blades which I had not used before. Since then these are my go to blades and they are deadly. Rather than just adjusting your weight to wind/boat speed, if possible adjust your speed with a drift sock, electric or kicker. These smile blades are killer when drifting/trolling at speeds of .4 to .8, they work well going faster too but .4 to .8 they are wicked deadly. I like the gold sparkle when cloudy and the goldfish scale when its bright. I rig them with a regular bead, then a couple of rattle beads followed by another regular bead and they run about even with sinker on a 5 foot snell.

I have sold many a fisherman on the smile blades over the past 2 summers. They are to my summer fishing what the AEjr is to my winter fishing.....Always rigged on a rod and a MUST have. If you don't have any go find some!

Have a great trip.....fiskyknut

Hey fiskynut where do you get those smile blades?? Are there different sizes of blades?

Hey Shawn Eichorn your parents must have ate A-LOT of fish to be able to catch limits 3 days in a row. Since your poss. limit I belive is 4 Walleyes 2 Saugers on Lake of the Woods. Did they really keep that many fish?????? Just something to ponder! shocked.gifshocked.gif

Wicky, there are 3 sizes....S,M,L. I use smalls and mediums. Some colors are tough to find up here anyways. C-store in Roseau has some assorted color packs as does Strieff's. Coast to Coast in Roseau has 5 packs of golds and silvers in small and medium sizes.

Try them you'll like them!

fiskyknut

Hard to beat the plain old Lindy Rig too. Yesterday morning at Elm, a tin can would have been deadly.

Fisky, how many boats do you fish out of in one day? I saw you backtrolling at Elm in the morning and in the Alaskan on the sandbar in the afternoon.

Fisky, how many boats do you fish out of in one day? I saw you backtrolling at Elm in the morning and in the Alaskan on the sandbar in the afternoon.

That would depend on how many limits I want on the particular day as I find it more stealthy when double or triple tripping to just go ahead and take a whole nother boat out vs. the same one back and forth, a bit sneakier that way ya know!!!! Just kidding!

Tell me again, do you have the white or the gray motor on your Alumacraft?

A whole lot of boats out yesterday eh! Sounds like the fish were biting decent everywhere too.

fiskyknut

I was helping Mack's Lures at a Distributor show 3 Years ago and we played alot with the Smile Blades and the Foam Walkers (a self standing slip sinker)in my aquarium tank. When I brought them to LOW I had alot of fun with the combination. Caught alot of Walleyes! They work great together because the Smile Blades turn at a very slow speed and the Foam Walker works perfect at slower speeds. I had alot of success with the small to medium Gold scale and also the Gold Sparkle color. Bruce Mosher

Fishgutz, if your over on the east side of the pond you can get them from Steve at the Log Cabin Baitstore out near Wheelers point too.

Fishgutz, bring some jigs along too. Gold and chartruse have been working for us. Just draging them on the bottem drifting. I've been using the new AEjig for a couple of weeks. Needless to say Scenic Tackle has got another winner in their tackle line. Also gold and some glow spinners have worked well.

Hey Pat how goes it? I have'nt seen that pretty pursuit on the water yet this year....Where you been hiding out at!!!

Tried ya on 6 a few times too, wrong days I guess.

Have a great summer season....Fisky

Hey Fisky, Pat's been hiding out on the Canadian side so far this year. How'ld you guys end up last night?

WJ, bite was off compared to every other trip this season. We got 9 or 10 fish each or so. Dirtball lost about a 4 pounder boatside over to the west in shallower water before you showed up. I drug a crawler around for quite awhile, minnows worked best though. Got quite a few small ones toward the end there on a gold jig/minnow. I lost a nice one pulling SR7 over near the island.

Kept 2 nice 16-17 inch eaters, could have kept a few more but 2 nice fish is all I needed for supper.

Hopefully he weather will cooperate this weekend as I wanna run out to where the fish went crazy 3 years ago when we had high water/flows somewhat simular to this year. should be interesting????

fiskyknut

fisky, thanks for the tip on the smile blades, we used the gold sparkle today because of the clouds, 2 of us were using them, after we caught about 8 walleye, the third guy had nothing, he finally accepted my offer to loan one. We were fishing on Buffalo Bay.