• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Night ban

str8shooter

Me and a buddy were talking about that last night. I think its because the walleyes are so vulnerable this time of year. They are in the shallows and bite like crazy when the sun goes down, and they're easy to target. Just our thoughts after a few beers, talking like we new what we were talking about tongue.gif is that the drunk graemlin? I'm sure someone will know the real reason.

Well, They start biting at 8PM and it only gets better till 10... and Then there's that treaty rights S---.

I believe this was Minnesota's first attempt at extra conservation beyond the 6 fish limit. Mille area started promoting c&R and the night ban to protect the fishery. Too many people, not enough fish.

I don't want to sound out of line, but no other lake that I know has a night ban and I think it's kind of silly.

I think there might be more to it than just conservation.

Mille acs is known for its night bite. Most big popular lakes aren't.

And being that Mille acs is so close to the twin cities it gets more pressure.

I'm doing this from memory. Creel serveys showed that 60% of walleye harvest came during the first 6 weeks of the season. The walleyes are very catchable at night especially in the spring. It was a way to reduce the harvet total. Personally I don't mind the night ban. Or I would want to fish all day and then most of the night too. If I was tired I would lay there thinking I was missing a good bite. This way I can fish all day, get some rest and if nobody else can be out there either I don't feel so bad.

I know thatthis is the wrong forum for this, but it will be interesting to see if they implement a night ban on upper red when that opens up, they bite pretty good at night up there also.

The night ban has been in place as long as I have fished the lake (17 years). I believe it was put in place in the late '80s. The ban was put in place to help protect the fishery from overharvest well before treaty managment ever came about.

Jeff S

Jeff S sums it up nicely. I believe it has been in place 20 years now. Time flys fella's. Go fishing...

I believe the night ban is a very good thing. Too many pigs get taken at night in the early season. Over harvest and over limits is way to easy when it's dark. Fish all day and sit by the fire and BS a little at night. grin.gif

RIGHT ON NOVA! ARE YOU GOING TO BE AROUND THIS SUNDAY OR NEXT WEEK AT ALL? HEADING UP TO PRE-FISH THE WACKER JUST THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK IN WITH YOU AND SEE HOW ITS GOING IF YOU'LL BE THERE??

Someone will know the exact year but I think the night ban began in the early/mid 80s - like 83, not the late 80's. It was around long before treaty management.

Harpoon, I am going up tonight and staying the whole week Prefishing myself. I have a fish house at Fisherman's warf. Swing by and we'll compare notes.

I MIGHT HAVE TO DO THAT. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR?

If you come by water follow the harbor around until you see my blue w/tan trim fish house(right side of the channel) and a black pro V tiller w/ 90 HP merc in front of it. Name on the house is Tim Kisch..that's me. Last name is also on the dock. What will you be driving in case I see you on the lake.

I HAVE A BLACK PRO-V ALSO BLACK W/ TAN BTM SOME RED LETTERING

ITS A 2025 DUEL COUNCIL 200 MERC W/ A 9.9 KICK

• 2 weeks later...

Harpoon, how did you fair in the wacker? We took a huge gamble on day one and went to the mud with the wind changing to the west for the first day all week. Needless to say we should have been on the gravel. Our worst showing yet..very disappointed in ourselves. mad.gif

I WASN'T IN THE WACKER THIS YEAR JUST UP PRE-FISHING CHECKING IT ALL OUT. MY UNCLE FISHED IT AND ENDED UP 27TH I THINK. ONE OF MY FRIENDS FISHED IT AFTER DAY 1 THEY WERE IN 3RD. ENDED UP IN 13TH. THEY WERE A LITTLE DISAPOINTED BUT WHAT DO YA DO. I FISHED THE MUD SUN-WED. WEDNESDAY MY BUDDY AND I HAD 3 FISH OVER 7 POUNDS. ALL IN ALL IT WAS NOT TOO BAD A WEEK. I PUT SOME PICS ON THE PHOTO SHARING. THERE ARE NOT ALL FROM LAST WEEK SOME AROUND OPENER. I THOUGHT I MIGHT OF SAW YOU OUT THERE ONE DAY....? YOU DIDN'T HAPPEN TO HAVE YOUR WIFE WITH?

No wife, just drug my brother around Monday and Tuesday, fished by myself wednesday. I saw your pics, nice fish.

THANKS NOVA,

I GUESS THE BOAT I THOUGHT COULD HAVE BEEN YOU WASN'T.

Who's your uncle Cy or Bob? I've hunted ducks with Cy and fished beside him a couple of times.

Harpoon is way to small of a guy to be related to Cy!

When do you want the Krinkle to invade the waters of M.L.??

YOU MIGHT HAVE A HARD TIME TRYING TO RIG OVER THE SIDE OF KRINKLE, UNLESS YOU WANT TO TRY DOWNRIGGERS! HOW ABOUT YOU LEAVE KRINKLE ON THE BIG LAKE AND WE'LL USE THE V ON LITTLE MILLE LACS