• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey everybody, hope everything is going well in the northland. I meant to tell everyone that while taking a break from the walleyes over the opener, we cast some spoons for northern in Bystrom Bay. My buddy hooked a 48 inch musky which was photographed and quickly released. Talk about a delightful accident. I know the season was closed so we returned it as soon as possible. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I get them back.

Since it was out of season, it should have been released without taking photos and handling the fish. So therefore, it wasn't released as soon as possible.

"Ace" cool.gif

[Please read forum policy]

Lighten up, Ace.

In his own words the fish was released quickly. Rather than grandstanding with a public "dressing down", a quiet private email would have been more in order if you felt he needed "correction".

Keep your rod bent.

Hans

Must have taken a crabby pill...... grin.gif

Too many Muskies are caught by accident and those fish are typically not handled very well. The post stated he would post SOME pictures, that means the fish was held out of the water for multiple pictures, when it should have been released ASAP. I would bet there is probably a vertical hold in one of those pictures too. And all that would have been done after a long fight on lighter tackle. These fish are trying to spawn during the Walleye/Pike opener, any disturbance like that could keep that fish from having a successful spawn. It's about the sport and care for the resource.

Congrats on a great catch - it just could have been handled better.

Steve

FrazerBayMan,

Thanks for the post, it's nice to hear about that nice muskie. I guess I hadn't been educated on these muskie-handling issues until this thread came up; so I would've probably done the same thing--take a picture or two of a real nice fish. Now I know not to do that.

Cashcrews

Pretty high and mighty in here again I must say. Fish are caught by accident all the time. Heck I was on the lake last night and I saw 4 different boats casting bucktails all over the lake. This guy catches a nice fish while fishing walleyes gets excited about it and you jump on him. Didn't you guys support the tourney the last few years? Are fish held out of the water, measured, etc for money in that deal? Oh yeah but that bring business and reconigtion to a lake you financially benefit from, I guess that's o.k. What if this was one of your paying customers, no pics then? I doubt it. What about all you guys who have been braggin up the bass fishing? Aren't these fish spawning and possibly harmed by your handling? Congrats on the fish, like you said nice suprise.

Hey Hans,

I don't think I need the advice of a walleye fisherman on what is right or wrong when it comes to handling Muskies. The key words here are "OUT OF SEASON"!! and no Mr.local, I don't take photos of "OUT OF SEASON" Muskies for my clients. Last years tournament was also held DURING THE SEASON.

Muskies may be big and nasty fish but they are in fact very sensitive to over handling, especially during the spawn. If you must take a photo, make it an in the water release photo. Ask any CO on Vermilion, if they had seen you taking photos of this fish, you would have gotten busted. blush.gif

The rules are there to protect the fish, if you are an ethical angler, you follow the spirit of the law. Nobody said he caught it intentionaly it was however according to the rules to be released IMEDIATELY, it doesn't say anything about taking a bunch of photos first. smirk.gif

Say what you will to me, but I will not post a photo of a Muskie caught "OUT OF SEASON" on this board, and I don't care if it's popular or not.

Have a great Muskie opener, it starts Saturday!!!

"Ace" cool.gif

Quote:

Hey Hans,

I don't think I need the advice of a walleye fisherman on what is right or wrong when it comes to handling Muskies.

Hey Ace,

I didn't give you any advice about handling muskies.

Just a lowly walleye guy trying to keep the comments here somewhat civil. Your high-and-mighty public scolding of the original poster was out of line. A quiet private email would have served the same purpose.

~~~

We pass the word around; we ponder how the case is put by different

people, we read the poetry; we meditate over the literature; we play

the music; we change our minds; we reach an understanding. Society

evolves this way, not by shouting each other down, but by the unique

capacity of unique, individual human beings to comprehend each other.

--Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail (1979)

~~~

Walk softly and carry a big fish,

Regards,

Hans

In my opinion there are two separate issues here.

If taking a picture of an out of season musky makes the release "non-immediate" according to the law, pictures should not be taken. On this I agree with Ace.

However there are comments about not taking a picture because muskies and the musky fishery are fragile. If this is truly the case then the true musky sportmen, who are protecting the resource, should not be taking out of water pictures of their muskies or their client's muskies. They also shouldn't be supporting or participating in tournaments where you need to call or flag down a judge for catch verification and measurement.

Just make sure your own practices are consistent with what you are telling others to do or not to do.

I'll second that Walleye Guy. Season or not, these fish probably should never come out of the water.

You guys are getting rediculous. So the guy made a mistake by taking pictures of the musky. probably 75% of the anglers on the water could be considered weekend anglers and are probably not clued into all of the finer details of "ethics" of handling fish. It is unfortunate but lets maybe try focusing on the education of other anglers rather than bashing. Im sure this guy had no intentions of hurting the fish or knew he was doing anything wrong from the sounds of his post. Give the guy a break!! and I believe there was something on the top of the page saying "No Bickering or Axe grinding allowed." Lets keep this website a friendly place!! grin.gif

The reason people come to forums like this is for information. If you didn't know it was breaking the law to take photos of out of season fish, you learned something. If Ace had sent this fellow a PM, instead of telling him in an open forum, you still wouldn't know it was wrong. It may have been a little embarrassing for the guy who made the mistake, but it is important for everyone to know the correct way to handle an out of season musky.

Mr. Bear is right on. By the way, I posted a message earlier placing the bashing blame where is belonged but it never appeared. So to the Guideman (who lives up to his threat of editing out stuff he does not like), don't be bashing if you can't take the heat in return.

Rules is rules!

I has tosing the ball i the water to the hounds by one of our docks Wednesday morning.

Boat comes in to the far south shore, I stop as I did not want to upset them from fishing.

Guy has to boys in boat, they are untangling lines and stuff then start trowing small spoons.

Cool.

Hounds love watching that stuff.

Then Pops gets up and starts flinging a 10" SUICK!

No way I think.

shocked.gif

Now Pike might eat suicks, but that is not a typical Vermilion Pike lure fer sure.

crazy.gif

I simply ask if they was Musky fishen early?

That the season was not open and we sort of frown on usen Musky type lures for Pike when A simple Red & White or any spinner bait will do the trick.

Pops just smiles.

I mention that the local CO have eye glass and might also like to have his boat for up coming acution?

LOL

They move along down the shore and Pop unhooks Big Ol SUICK and has kid slip him a spoon.

Was I out of line?

Not in my mind, but I aint no DNR CO.

Peace brothers.

Love that Photo of Nasty Ned Crash!

cool.gif

T.

Quote:

It may have been a little embarrassing for the guy who made the mistake, but it is important for everyone to know the correct way to handle an out of season musky.

We don't correct our children in public so that other nearby children will learn a lesson, we do it privately, no matter how "important" we are or how "important" the lesson is.

Public humiliation/embarrassment cannot hide behind the excuse of "I wanted everyone to know what the rules are".

Quote:

Was I out of line?

Nope, I think you did the right thing. A quiet private conversation between two fishermen. Sounds like it worked out just fine.

Good job.

Like Tom, I’ve seen my fair share of out-of-season musky fisherman this last week. I think that’s a much bigger issue than some walleye fisherman who takes a few photos of an unintentional catch.

Instead of joining in the fray of what's the right or wrong thing to do, may I offer a possible solution? Since pictures were taken, there was obviously another person with them. Perhaps pictures can be taken during the battle and prior to the fish being brought into the boat, again, providing that the fish is quickly landed and immediately released. And if the picture-taker assists in the landing and immediate release, so much the better.

grin.gif

Echoing earlier comments - be civil. When you're encounter problematic situations with others, its much better to try offer a solution when you point out the behavior. I'm sure guides don't insult their clients - they help them. Let's do the same for our fellow forum members. laugh.gif

I'll be up next week at Spring Bay Resort. Cap'n Doug is a great host, informative guide, and I consider him a friend. Hope the fishing is as good as I have been dreaming about since I was there last year. I just hope the weather is at least fair - no T-storms or high winds. Maybe even some sun once in a while. cool.gif

Out again last night and 3 separate typical muskie spots had boats casting them. Funny. Is it possible that if certain individuals were'nt broadcasting how great things were for financial gain and we were'nt hosting televised tourneys that this pressure would be less? Possibly even limited to in season fishing. Wouldn't that be what is truely best for the resource? When you tie money to the ethics of managing a resource you end up with a conflict of interests. That's a fact.

Guideman,

I just stumbled across this post, I am neither a musky fisherman, nor am I a Vermilion fisherman, but I can tell you I learned something today, and I will take action on it.

You have the worst attitude of any staff I have ever seen on this site, and I will be absolutely certain to make sure if anyone ever asks me about a guide, a will highly NOT recommend ace guide service.

Not that you care, because you clearly only answer to yourself.

Guideman, don't let these guys get you down. Understand that many of us still support you and thank you for your insightful and informative posts. You have helped make us better fishermen. Keep on posting!

Maybe some of you guys should go into the forum history to get a better idea of what Guideman brings to the board. You could write a book with the detailed tips he has givin (presented with a good attitude also).

That's a growing feeling around the lake too. Have a good one all and good luck on Saturday.

[Please read foruim policy]

On a completely separate issue....

The tournament is being blamed for giving the lake exposure and guys fishing out of season?

Wow. Must say I completely disagree, and I am not a tournament angler either.

This is the information age, I think by this point just about everyone knows about the big muskies on Vermillion.

It's in every musky mag, every website, and every outdoor publication period(this info was not a secret WELL before Bobby M ever created a tournament). If you think the reason for guys invading "your" lake is because a guide is talking about musky fishing on a website, I ask you to think about this and realize all the other media factors involved.

I think everyone would ideally love a lake to fish for themself but realistically....that's not going to happen. Fortunately or unfortunately, it is 2005 and not 1945....people talk.

Let's stop pointing fingers at who,or what is to blame and instead appreciate the fact we have a resource with such a great fishery that allows for us to even have these arguments. Have an open eye on the water, report those who do break the rules and are not on the same page as us. And let's be honest....a lot of those dopes out there breaking the rules can't catch fish anyways smile.gif

Ace -

I had a feeling someone would say what you said. Of course, I feel bad for catching the fish, as I said we were not targeting muskies and I would never do anything like that. I am a fisherman and believe I have the ethics of a fisherman. To have you preach to me about how you feel about the incident, frankly, makes my impression of you change. I have been to your website... I have seen the many pictures you have taken of fish you and your guests have caught. If you statement is true, then YOU did not release those fish as quickly as possible. The fact that the fish was ACCIDENTALLY taken out of season does not change the rapidity and carefulness that the fish was returned to the water. The fish was a rush, seeing that I have never caught, or seen one caught frankly made my day. I really don't need you grandstanding to me about what you feel is right or wrong. I hope you don't take offense at this, but I won't let you ruin a fish that made the day for me and my fishing buddy. Thanks

Quote:

Ace -

The fact that the fish was ACCIDENTALLY taken out of season does not change the rapidity and carefulness that the fish was returned to the water. The fish was a rush, seeing that I have never caught, or seen one caught frankly made my day. I really don't need you grandstanding to me about what you feel is right or wrong. I hope you don't take offense at this, but I won't let you ruin a fish that made the day for me and my fishing buddy. Thanks

I think the point ACE was trying to make was that the fact it was caught out of season and should never have left the water in the first place. I also don't think its a matter of what he thinks is right or wrong either. According to the DNR if you pose for an out of water picture with a fish out of season it is illegal. The best thing that could have been done was a boatside in water picture of some sort. Hopefully the message isn't missed through the way it was perceived coming across.

[Please read forum Policy - No Bickering or Attacks allowed]

[Please read forum policy - No bickering or attacks allowed]