• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Computerized fishing log???

waskawood

Does anyone have any ideas for keeping a fishing log on the computer? Is there something out there already or does one have to use a spreadsheet or database? Which would be better, a DB or a SS? Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick814

• waskawood

• basssmasher*

• Papa Woodie

I use a program called Fishing Log Pro. You can put more information in this thing then you could ever need. I think it runs about $25.

[Note from admin - Closer to $30.00 and we will say buyer look carefully.]

Guys, let me talk to Rick, I have a solution to this if Rick's open to it...

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that I've added dropdowns, etc. to that I use. Have spots for lake name, area of lake, water temp, clarity, weather conditions, lures/bait used, species of fish caught, date, just about anything you want to have. The nice thing about it is that it's completely customizable to fit exactly what you info. you want it to show. cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so this is a little weird.

If you look at my post history, I've posted accurate information about everything from wildlife politics to catching walleyes and bass on pool 4.

Now, I have accurate information on this subject, but there's a problem, I am an officer of the company that owns the product in question here, so I guess it would be advertising if I post the name of it (i.e. like Fishing Log Pro is posted above but I don't think RU is advertising for them).

This is really one of the very few times I feel awkward on this site. I did email FM on it, so I guess we'll let it go at that and I won't name the product.

[Note from Admin: kbj5br did e-mail us and offer it for free and we wanted to take them up on it and make it available to all of you for free. However, they then decided to charge for it. They do indeed now need to be a sponsor]

I did a search on this a while back, and there are quite a few threads...

Seems to come down to the fact that everyone has a different idea of what information is valuable, and how to record it. Since I'm recording the information for my own use, I'm putting together my own database, so I can expand/modify/etc as I learn what works and what doesn't.

I've looked for some commercial software, but haven't found anything I like yet. I'm sure there are a ton out there that I haven't seen.

-rus-

waskawood,

you can e-mail me and I can give you the link to the one I use.

It has a free 30 day trial

rschluet at gac dot edu

Quote:

I use a program called Fishing Log Pro. You can put more information in this thing then you could ever need. I think it runs about $25.

[Note from admin - Closer to $30.00 and we will say buyer look carefully.]

I have been using Fishing Log Pro - am still on the trial version, but will need to pay for the full version soon....So would the "Admin" who posted "look carefully" please elaborate - is there a problem the we FM'er should know about?

On the same topic, I found some software yesterday called

"Fish Insight", but haven't had the chance to play with it yet.

Thanks

UG

Quote:

OK, so this is a little weird.

If you look at my post history, I've posted accurate information about everything from wildlife politics to catching walleyes and bass on pool 4.

Now, I have accurate information on this subject, but there's a problem, I am an officer of the company that owns the product in question here, so I guess it would be advertising if I post the name of it (i.e. like Fishing Log Pro is posted above but I don't think RU is advertising for them).

This is really one of the very few times I feel awkward on this site. I did email FM on it, so I guess we'll let it go at that and I won't name the product.

[Note from Admin: kpj5br did e-mail us and offer it for free and we wanted to take them up on it and make it available to all of you for free. However, they then decided to charge for it. They do indeed now need to be a sponsor]

Not to make an issue out of this at all, but the intention all along was to make this free to FM'ers. Yes, the site itself does charge a very nominal amount ($1.00 per month at the highest rate). I have always been very loyal and appreciative to FM, so I wanted to do this. I sent the email indicating free to FM'ers to FM with a link to the site, they saw that the site has a pay-now button, and said "not interested".

The intention was to give FM'ers a promotional code that FM would distribute that would make the charge $0.00 per month. The reason I wanted to do this was because I have gained so much value from FM'ers over time, I wanted to give something back, and fishermanslog.com is a global site, so giving up the measly $1.00 a month (or less) from the few in Minnesota who actually need a program like this was an extremely small price to pay.

In any case, I would also advise anyone looking to buy a "client" utility (which means something you have to buy and download your PC) to really think twice or even three times. Do a Google search for fishing logs or fishing software or anything like that and you will see Online Fishing Log software that is superior, MUCH cheaper, and you don't have to hassle with downloads, backups, computer crashes losing your data, etc.

[Note from admin: kpj5br - here is the e-mail exchange:

FM said:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005

To: kpj5br

Subject: RE: Fishing log

Hi,

We appreciate the offer. However, if it would have been something to potentially offer free to our visitors that would have been cool.

You replied saying:

No problem, thanks for taking a look!

Uncle Grump - I believe kpj5br does a good job explaining the why pay $30+ for the log]

Slick814

I would like to echo CHM's question - would you care to share your spreadsheet?

UG

Slick

Any chance you would email me a copy of your spread sheet. I use excel a little but am not that smart to set one up. If you choose not too thats fine to.

[email protected]

thanks

Fishing Buddy

Chuck, Buddy, Uncle Grump... I could be persuaded cool.gif...just no actual entries will be on it... a guy can't give up all his spots now.. smirk.gif drop me your email address... especially for a fellow (former here) AF member, Dave

Oh.. and any suggestions/changes you guys think might be needed, please let me know.. I'm open for them... it's a work in progress, after all! grin.gif

[email protected]

Love a copy!

christensen17 at msn dot com

Many thanks!

Would also love to have a copy as I have started my own and since I work on excel all day I could add some upgrade sto it and then resend it out to folks...

scott @ zoomn . com

Sent it out a few minutes ago... hope it works for you guys. grin.gif

Slick could you please send to me also I like to take a look. chrissiegleratgebertdotcom

Thanks Sifty

Hope I've gotten to everyone who wants a copy... if I missed you somehow, sorry about that.. drop me another email and I'll make sure to get it out to you!

laugh.gif

Sent it to Ebiz, DEADhead & Towtruk... cool.gif Let me know what you guys think! laugh.gif

Waskawood.. do you want a copy? I don't think I've sent you one... need an email addy to do it, though...