• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cell Phone Coverage

This is nothing directly to do with fishing, but we are going to Labelle's in June and I was wondering if there was any cell phone coverage north of International Falls. We have Verizon service and it looks like there is service in IF but would like to know how far north it goes.

Hate to think what International Roaming will be if it is even available.

Thanks,

Rick

HI T.N.,

I HAVE NOT TRIED TO USE A CELL PHONE FROM THAT AREA, MINE WORKS GREAT ON RAINY(CELL 2000) AND MY BROTHER HAD A VERIZON AT THE CABIN 2 YEARS AGO & IT WORKED GOOD., BUT BIRCH POINT CAMP, I'M NOT SURE, BUT THERE ARE A NUMBER OF GUYS WHO POST ON HERE WHO FISH THAT AREA, SO I'M CONFIDENT YOU WILL GET A RESPONSE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

Thanks for the reply . . . we're coming up there to 'get away' a little, but still would like to be able to stay in touch to check on business, etc.

We're looking forward to our stay at Hilltop too. We'll see if they'll share their recipe for cooking Walleye!

TN Rick, When I was up last year I did not have a signal at the government dock which is southwest of LaBelles. I did have a signal about ten miles south of the government dock on 613. It wasn't real good because it fadded in and out a bunch. The best reception I had was down in Devlin which is the small town at the intersection of 11 and 613. I had my kids call their mom back in Indiana from here my first trip up last year. When I got the bill there was a charge for international phone calls. It was quite expensive so when I went back up in July they used the payphone at the gas station at the intersection of 11 and 613. I think the name of the place is Devlynns. I am going up on the 8th of June and staying till the 16th. If you see a princecraft pro 176 with 2 screeming kids, a woman in the front reading a book and a guy in the back just trying to fish. That would be me. Please stop by and give me a sanity break. John

hey rick are you ready. i have midwest wirelesss and my works at dales. he also has a payphone go to walmart and get a calling card.you should e-mail me your cell number and i will try it on sat. june 11. did pretty good in march lots of trout. jody&dale fished every day with us.must of been bored.

John:

Thanks for the input. I was in hopes that Verizon coverage would work up there . . .will wait and see. I hav a phone with a PDA and was going to try to at least keep up wit the important email. Maybe I need to just turn it off and fish!

Will keep an eye out for you. I know you'll enjoy the time with the family.

Bob:

Sounds like the payphone may be the answer. I have 800 numbers at the house and the office that works in Canada. Hope you caught lots of trout. We are REALLY looking forward to this trip.

Rick

If you've got 800 numbers to call, then it shouldn't be a problem using the pay phone in the "public" restroom/shower house in the middle of the resort.

We always bring our cell phones up each year. Since we usually have 3 or 4 vehicles that we take up there, we like to call and talk to each other over the phones on the way up (or use our 2-way radios), but when we get to camp, we don't have much of a need to call back home. Too many other things to do like fish, drink, sleep, fish, drink, sleep...you get the idea! smile.gif We do use the pay phone though to call back to our offices to see if everything is going well, and we call our 800 numbers on that phone.

The knowledge that I'm not going up this year is taking it's toll on me! Usually by now I've spent hours upon hours looking at my lake maps trying to find new spots to try, but not this year. Maybe I should just look at them to get my fix, or to find a spot for my folks to try!

Anyway, good luck and give a report how it went when you get back. I'd like to hear how it went and pass your info onto my family members who will be at Dale's the week of July 9 - July 16.

P.S....I'd bring some warmer clothes along. It's been a bit cool this spring. Finally getting a stretch of mid to upper 70's here in southern MN, but up there I know it's usually about 10 degrees cooler.

Have fun and be safe!

Just an FYI - Sprint no longer has coverage in the Falls. At least not on my cell. In fact north or Orr. They had good coverage a couple years ago - from the Falls to the Visitor Center on Rainy at least.

Thanks for the information once again. BC - we'll try to catch a few for you this year. I understand about getting away from it all . . . the alternate reason for the trip . . . the frist reason being to fish! I;m sure we'll be able to get into the eat . . . fish . . . play cards . . . sleep . . . eat . . . fish routine without any trouble!!

Have been studying maps, reading posts hear, listing the baits recommended, the fishing spots, etc.. Have found a Gander Mountain in Madison, WI that we are going to stop at on the way up. Madison is half way and where we will spend the night, so it works out well.

We have two-way radios so we'll all be able to communicate. Like I said earlier, I was just curious about being able to check email.

We'll be sure to let you know how we do when we get back.

Rick

PS - What part of MN are you in?

Little town called Gaylord about 55 miles west/southwest of Minneapolis, or 30 miles south of Hutchinson, or 35 miles north/northwest of Mankto in the southcentral part of the state. If you have a MN map, you follow State Highway 5 from Minneapolis on west about 55 miles or so and you'll run into Gaylord.

I was born in Albert Lea but my family moved to Washington when I was very young. I've liven in the south most of my adult life. We still have family in a number of places throughout MN, but I haven't been back in many years.