• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bass opener/updates

Was out at O Dowd by 6:30 AM this morning and fished until about 11:30. My dad and i ended up with 8 bass 2.5 lbs being the biggest. But we did have two hogs that snapped the line. We saw both of the fish before the line broke and both were pushing 5 pounds. Guess i am gonna have to put on some new line. Everything we caught was right up against the shore either under fallen trees or around stumps and logs.

Tx for the report! Not enough people post reports.. I am going out for bass/pike on Monday.. not sure where.. either White Bear Lake or Otter Lake.. either way I will certainly report back!

We fished Tonka and did very well in the morning but things slowed in the afternoon. The new X-Rap was hot as well as prop baits over points. Over all we caught about 25-30 fish 12"-19.5" found the bigger fish on the first break of off spawning areas. Nor very crowded on the water but I expect with todays forcasted sun it will get crazy so time to get to the lake. Over all a very good day fishing!!

I fished Turtle yesterday and caught 8 fish between 14" and 18". Also lost 2 other nice ones... Rattlin' cranks worked for me... You've got to love the catch and release regulations on a few of the metro lakes as it has made some decent fisheries in the area.

Was on Tonka in Browns bay from 7:00-10:00 last night and did not do well. I pulled leeches on a live bait rig and tried throwing the x-rap and a blade dancer - niether produced a bite for me. I caught two small bass on a slip bobber/leech combo near spirit island. I am not sure why I wasn't hooking up... I tried both fast and slow retrieves.

Fished Tonka Sunday morning through midafternoon with a total of 5 largemouth ranging from dinky to about 2 pounds.

Mostly mine were in 6-8' of water and relating to cabbage.

Left when the power squadrons came to play with the sunshine.

I did spot several muskies though- 'X' marks the spot!!

CC

Quote:

Was out at O Dowd ... Everything we caught was right up against the shore either under fallen trees or around stumps and logs.

I find that very interesting, I was also there that morning, probably the only other truck at the ramp (I got there about 4:15 a.m.). I find it interesting because I gave up on the stumps/trees after not getting even a nibble no matter what I threw, and ended up being succesful by ran shallow cranks over the tops of weeds.

Fished Tonka and a small lake in Hennepin County this weekend. We did very well. Caught about 2 doz. Largest was a 21.5 incher!!! Also caught a 19.5, 4 lb fish. All the fish were fat. Found them just a few feet from shore. Used Strike King Wild Thing jigs and senko's.

Did pretty good on my small "secret" lake. Biggest was a largemouth that went 4 lbs. The rest were decent smallies in the 2 lb range. Caught about 7 bass for 2 hours fishing. The bass were up shallow, did mostly sight fishing. Some smallies I caught were still spawning. Wasnt surprised though with the weather. Caught all of them on a 1/4 oz black/blue jig with a same color Zoom trailer. Bass fry are everywhere in this lake. See them scurry everywhere when you walk by. should mean a good fishery for years to come.

I fish Orchard this morning from 5-9am. I got 1 16 incher. Pretty slow. Water temp is pushing 65. The lake was a mess this morning. The landing had garbage and cans laying around.

Good Luck!!!!!

Sunday I started out fishing shallow next to fallen trees and docks. The water was so clear and I could see bass moving in and out of those areas. Not a bite. Alot of bait fish where also in the shallows. Tried a minus 1 rap to get em going but nothing. Then went out to about 7 ft throwing shallow raps over coontail. On Fire!! Had a great time. Any clues to why the bass aren't biting shallow. Have a couple theories but I am usually wrong.

Mike

I ran into the same thing on White Bear, saw lots of empty beds and a few fish scurring around shallow we are guessing that they were really spooky with the clear water and traffic. We didnt try fishing for them though.

I got 9 bass on WB. Most came before 11am, after that the sun was high and the boaters were out in full force, slowing the fishing. I also managed a few northerns and a decent crappie fishing the outside weedline with a jig and ringworm.

Also, I must have saw 4 or 5 muskies cruising around and had one bite me off while fishing bass. I want to go back this coming opener, but of course they will have seemingly disapeered by then.

This is not a update but a question, do you guys keep your bass? what do use as a guide line for what to keep or not to keep if there are no regulations all ready in place for the lake that a person is fishing? we caught an ok one, would have been a meal added with a sunny or two, just not certain what is the rules, guidelines. Thanks for the help.

Lynn.

Fished with a buddy on a small lake which i will name later caught 17 on saturday and 14 on sunday, smallest was 14 inches biggest was 20 inches casting power worms into the shorelines it was a blast

Brian, I was out on Orchard on Saturday evening and two of us caught 23 in less than 3hrs. They were on fire. Caught 2 over 3# and 1 over 5#

Lynn -

I ocassionally keep bass for family/friends to eat (I don't eat fish) and a general guideline I use is no bass under 2.5 pounds and no bass over 3.5 pounds. I don't want the bass to be too small, one bass should be able to feed one person for one meal, and I don't want the fish too big, although not always the case bigger is the best way for me to determine older and hence tougher meat and more contaminents.

We were on Minnetonka on Monday and Tuesday and couldn't find anything up shallow. In two days of fishing we only managed two bass and caught them on senkos. We couldn't see any fish up shallow and nothing went after spinnerbaits or cranks. The usual honey holes turned out to be dead zones. We moved out deeper along the outside edge of the weedlines and ran into some notherns but no bass. On Tuesday we watched a bunch of tournament fisherman pitching plastics up along some docks and never saw a fish caught.

I'm hoping that it's just been the screwy weather we had last week and that by the weekend the bite will be in full swing.

I dont keep bass myself, but if I were to keep some I wouldnt keep anything over 2lbs. If you're going to keep bass its better for a lake to take out some little ones rather than the bigger fish.

Buzzin-

It would be better to keep a couple 12-13" than 1 3# bass, it takes several years for a fish to get that big and they are usually some of the best breeders. Small fish taste much better as well. By keepign smaller fish, it makes the lake better for bigger fish wink.gif

You are free to do what you want, but if you talk to people in fisheries, they would advise the same

Hella –

I think you’re partially right. I misspoke a little, I looked at the “weigh your fish with a ruler” section of the MN regulations and I was over estimating my weights/remembering the fish to be heavier than the probably were. Go figure a fisherman overestimate weight. I generally keep bass between 14 and 16 inches which is 2.5 pounds or less, not 3.5 pounds. I think we're probably on the same page just at different parts of that page. Obviously the dilemma when keeping fish is to try and keep something big enough that you get a worth while fillet when killing the fish and yet small enough to not hurt the fishery and young enough to be healthy to eat. If I thought downsizing what I kept would have any significant impact on the quality of fishing I would certainly do it. Maybe I should state here that I probably only keep 2 or 3 bass per year. You mention that the people in the fisheries agree with you. First, from what I’ve read on this site, and my limited experience chatting with DNR officials, it appears just about every different person gets a different answer from the fisheries people. Not to knock the DNR, but I think there are tons of variables to consider in a question like this, for instance, I've heard from several fisheries people that the particular body of water has a lot to do with what size is best to keep. Second, do you have any studies or articles you would recommend that could help persuade me to downsize. I’m truly interested, and not trying to be sarcastic. I love to fish and about the only thing I enjoy more than fishing is catching so if I thought I could help I would, but without anything to support it, I think the precise size of what is best to keep is more a matter of what each person is accustomed/their family traditions. So to end my long-winded response, I’m glad you called me out, I misspoke on the upper end of what I previously stated that I keep.

I just keep fish that I gut hook. If there bleeding I've always heard they'll die anyway. Over the course of the season this is a couple good fish fries.

Once on Tonka I saw a nice bass boat with TN plates. They were showing off a live well full of 3-5# fish they were going to keep. Dang, that ticked me off. I bet they don't hog bass like that in their home lakes.