• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coon Rapids Dam advice

blabay

Where is a good spot to catch fish right now at the CRD. My son loves to fish there, but last weekend we got skunked. There isn't any water moving through the smaller dam, which is where we usually catch carp, sheephead, etc. Forgive my ignorance of River terminology. Which "pool" is the CRD part of? What do you call that part of the dam we fish (the smaller dam)?

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to wait out the Dam Construction. The area you are referring to is the Spillway. But since no water is going over the spillway the oxygen level has dropped and few quality fish are in the pond below the spillway. It's going to make this years contest not so good. Sorry I have no good recommandations this area is just off until they finish the Dam work and the gates are closed so the top has a level to pour over the spillway again.

blabay- we fished the Islands and backwaters just north of 252 two weekends ago and had plenty of bites. If you don't have a boat that you can back there with it looks like the paths from the park come down there. cast into any fallen tree where there is some current with either a crawler or some cut bait and you should be able to hook into some cats. any of the fallen trees on the east side or drainage culverts have produced fish for us too. We have pulled some walleyes out of the river south of 252 and if you are fishing with a crawler you never know what is on the other end of the line.

Curious, Are people able to launch on the CR side of the dam and how is the water level between CR and the Champlin Bridge? Thought I'd heard they were going to be dropping the level this year.

You can put in at Champlin or Anoka(I think)Water level has been real eratic. normal at my house but way down by the dam, and high enough upriver that I got to Monti yesterday, no problems. I think the dam launch is closed. They are supposed to start the dam repairs June 10. Only God knows what will happen then.

Thanks for the update,thinking about dumping the boat in and chasing some smallies.

Quote:

since no water is going over the spillway the oxygen level has dropped and few quality fish are in the pond below the spillway. It's going to make this years contest not so good.

Isn't the contest always not so good? Never really see a lot of fish come out of the water anyway. Any recommended areas where to catch the fish for the contests? I'll sit next to you and we'll see who can catch the biggest one. Hehe.