• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks to Rogers Campground

HoleHopper

Thanks to Rogers for there hospitality and a good cup of coffie in the morning. They made my stay at Upper Red a good one. Great camp sights, and good peaple!

All the peaple up there were very nice and helpfull even to a rookie like me. grin.gif I know I will be back!

And the fishing????? What a blast !!!! grin.gif Dispite the rain...

Good to hear HoleHopper. Sounds like your trip was fun.

My pa & I might head up to Roger's in the morning. We need to check the fish house and take some dimensions to help out my summer fish house projects- cabinets & the like.

We'll be bringing the little boat so hopefully the wind stays down and we can get some fishing in.

Might want to give em a call befor you leave. I know they have gotton a lot of rain and have standing water all over the place. I know that rogers was talking about haveing to turn back peaple after about 30 boats becouse of lack of parking from the rain. But dont quote me on that. I think it would be best to check out his web sight for current info. You can also see the pike I CPRed on his fishing report.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chris,

It shouldn't be a problem. The place really cleared out yesterday. We didn't leave until around 6:30 pm and there were maybe a dozen rigs left at the ramp.

It was weird this year with a massive fish fly hatch. All the crappies we caught were packed with the little bugs. Fishing was slow with scattered fish caught in 3-10 fow. Most in that 4-6 foot range.

Most of the sites are usable again with the lighterr rains and actually some sun. laugh.gif Shotley River....I mean brook... tongue.gif Is starting to get back to normal. But it has a ways to go.

The pike are also being caught. My wife caught a 39" brute on a small crappie jig and 6lb mono. She CPRed it so it's still there.

We saw several folks out of a 12 foot boats with one being a row boat so you should be ok unless the wind howls.

Good Luck Chris!

Borch-

We didn't make it. With the scattered showers & undecided wind speed, we decided to stay at home and fish the Red Lake River. Ended up with a nice 17" walleye for the pan and a variety pack of river fish (goldeye, sheepshead, carp, small pike, suckers, and rock bass). The eater sized cats didn't cooperate for me either.

Borch,

How did you guys do? We fished out of Mort's Saturday evening & Sunday morning various places along the South shore & didn't have much luck. 3 crappies for 3 guys, about 25 sheepshead, & 15 walleyes. The crappies we did catch were in 6-8' all roughly a mile or less East of Rogers.

Morts was really a wet mess after all that rain.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

My wife and I filled out on crappies after 3 days of hard fishing. The key for us was to keep drifting. The fish were scattered and if you were lucky you'd pick up 2-3 in one general area. Then it was all walleyes and sheephead. We went through three very large scoops of fatheads and crappie minnows during that time. Most were fed to walleyes and sheephead.

BTW, the walleyes a numerous and in very good shape for the most part. Most were 18-22". It shouldn't take folks too long to get theie 2 walleyes starting next spring. There were plenty below 17" as well. There were also several large pike caught in the area. All that I heard able were released after a couple pictures.

The key for me was to set my depth at least 2 ft. off bottom in about 6 ft. of water. and (I know you have heard it befor) stay away from the crowds. Doing these two simple things worked for me. I cought and reliesed a lot more than some of the other peaple I seen up there. Good luck. Wish I could go back frown.gif