• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any New Reports???????

Are there any new reports for this last week I was just looking for some recent reports from the south end of the lake. Good luck to all this weekend!!!!!

wink.gif

I have been out 3 times this week fishing Muskeg bay spots. Monday, wednesday and yesterday. Very good fishing each time with some very nice size to our fish too. Set up yesterday upwind of waypoint, 1 minute into first drift I boated a 27.5 incher. We could have boxed our limit in 30-40 minutes no problem. Minnows are still geting the most bites but leeches and crawlers are taking fish too, seems the leeches are getting the bigger fish this week.

This year has probably been the best year fishing I remember for this early of a timeframe on the westside of the lake. Fishing will only get better and better over the next few weeks as is the norm for early June.

Visiting anglers over the long weekend should have no problems with the fish, the weather may be a different story though!

Good luck all....fiskyknut

I had the fortune of being able to get out on LOW last evening with Walleyejon on the west side of the lake. It was chilly, but we managed and we boated 3 fish. I caught a very nice 25.5 incher. It was great. We missed a ton of fish and broke off many lines. Thanks again, walleyejon, for taking me with. You're a pretty decent guide, but I wouldn't give up your day job just yet! smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. I would like to order some nice weather for the weekend. Can anyone help with that??

Just wishfull thinking I guess.

Pretty nice today anyhow. Was out Saturday afternoon and it was almost glassy in the late afternoon/evening. Fishing a bit tougher on Saturday compared to during the week. Perhaps due to the mass quantities of boats on the spots?!?!?! A bit of wind would have helped too, still caught plenty of fishes though.

Back out this afternoon for the evening shift.

Regards.....Fisky

Fished Saturday, and like Fisky said, it was almost like glass the whole day. On our way up we stopped at Greenbush and it was pouring rain. Almost turned around and went back home.

We started out East of Elm and picked up a few and then we cut across to Stoney. It was such a nice day that we just couldn't help ourselves. Fishing was slow for us over there. But the weather made up for it, it had to have been 10-15 degrees warmer up there. The water temp was almost 10 degrees warmer than at Elm. Did pick up a couple, one keeper and one 21 1/2" throw-back. After about an 1 1/2 hrs there we headed back south. Stopped at the floatilla of boats at Whiskey Flats and within the hour had our last seven to fill up 3 limits. They were in about 23-25' and there were lots of them. A few smaller saugers, but a mix of nice fish. The wife had a blast, and didn't want to leave. I would have never guessed it would've turned out to be that nice of a day.

Fished from the sandbar north of Springsteel and south on Saturday. Tried to stay out of the pack of boats. No problem catching fish. When the wind quit, I tied on a jig just for giggles, and caught four 13-16", along with a 20, 21, and 26 in about an hour. It was the only jig I had in the boat, so the kids had to stick with their spinners--they got one bite during that stretch. Sunday I stayed to the west of the boats that were fishing around the blinker. Four fish on the first drift, and at least two on every drift after that. Lots of fun, lots of fish. The kids were tired and hungry around 6 pm so we called it a day. I would guess between the two days, we caught all of eighty plus fish. Kept a crawler on one rod the whole time, and managed two fish, with rest taking minnows behind hammerd silver, gold, and chartruse spinners, and 3/8 oz gold jig (when the wind died off). I had to get back early yesterday, but heard the fish were biting again from Elm all the wat to Long Point. Haven't talked to anyone from the far East side, anyone hear anything from over there? I'll be out again this Friday, give me a shout on 6 if you're on the water, I'll give ya a report.

Fished Sunday afternoon and Monday till early afternoon. It was butt ugly coming out of Bostic and crossing 4mile thru the washout---serious debris!! The wind had pushed all the junk washing down the river into the Morris gap area. Besides the trees, logs, pails, etc, the water was dirty. You had to motor slowly across 4 mile and for almost a mile to the west of the washout before the junk ended and the water cleared. A lot of fish in the Zipple area but mostly they were 12-13". I switched to pulling bouncers and crawlers and caught more fish including some 20-21". Didn't catch a single fish in the 15-18" class. A nice couple days of weather finally.

Three of us fished the Zippel area Thursday evening, most of the day Friday, & Saturday morning. We caught a lot of fish (although probably not by LOW standards), most were small. We had two for the trip at 18 1/2" & a few others over 16", caught a lot around 14" all the way on down to 7". I'd say we caught around 75 walleyes with 4-5 saugers, one perch, & one northern. Crawlers & minnows both were working for us, but I'd say 2/3's of the fish or more were on minnows. We took just a few on leeches. We caught them anywhere from 11-23', although most were in the the 16-20' range.

This was the first open water trip for two of us & the other guy had been with someone else on a different part of the lake probably 15 years ago.

I fished this weekend out of the Wheeler's Point/Rainy River area and was going to mention the unbelievable amount of debris in the water. Also the water was really stained due to the amount of silt that the current must be pulling out of the river. Most of the debris due to the wind direction wound up getting pushed into the Morris Point Gap area. Hopefully, this stuff clears out by next weekend.

We did O.K. off of Pine Island on Saturday, but nothing really big. Had a nice fish fry for 5 of us but only 3 had fished for a bit on Saturday. Sunday wasn't very good off of Pine we kept 4 small keepers. Monday the water was horrible off of Pine Island so we ran the gauntlet of debris up to Zippel bay. It tended to clear about 1 to 1 1/2 miles away from Pine or the Gap. You actually couldn't see the fish in your livewell from the water near pine island having so much brown in it. We noticed how big a difference their was when we got over to zippel because suddenly we could see the bottom of the livewell. We wound up keeping some that day to bring home but nothing really decent size. Just eater fish. I only saw one big fish caught and released and that was a 22 incher in another boat.

It seemed like over at Zippel most of the boats were around 20 feet of water. At Pine Island we did best at 12 to 13 feet of water, but caught fish all the way out to 16 feet.

Later, Ryan

My wife and I spent Saturday and Sunday by the

green marker out of the Zipple Bay jetty. Anchored

in 20.5 feet deep water. Caught fish pretty steady

all day both days.

Our self imposed 14 inch minimum limits came at about

5 pm Saturday. I threw back several 13.75 plus Walleyes.

Biggest was 18.5. We used a scoop of chubs and 2 dozen

leeches on Saturday with about 6 minnows left when we quit.

On Sunday we had 5 post fish fry replacements to get. We

ran out of bait at 4:30pm with 2 15.5 inchers and one

14.25 incher. We kept 2 13 inch Saugers and a couple of

Perch to boot.

Nice weekend, we never pulled anchor once we set up.

We caught lots of fish and burned about a gallon of

gas, the weather was more than comfortable. I call it

a very good weekend.

Things have been getting better each day up here as well. Fished the Sunset Channel/Cliff Island area Saturday and consistantly caught 15-18"ers. Not having 100 fish days yet, but 3 of us fishing probably caught and released 70, and kept a limit for a great supper. One lake trout from shore while cleaning up the walleye...like you say Curt, I'd consider it a very good day.

Had a good weekend fishing, had the whole family out in the WingDing on Sat. and caught our limit! Had a colossel fish fry at the lodge on Sat night and Sun went back to the same spot not a single fish, moved to Zipple to fish with the band wagon and caught some more for the freezer. All in all a really nice weekend!

My wife and I, and quite a few others, fished near Elm out of Springsteel Monday. Caught lots of fish. Many small, but a nice limt. Spinners with crawlers or leaches.

Another good weekend on the West side. Friday we started around the blinker, with only a few small ones, and we worked our way west and north, until we found active fish on the sandbar off the South-tip of Buffalo. We had five guys in two boats, and had limits of 'eyes for all, along with a half dozen or so saugers. Released two slot fish (21 & 25 1/2), with the ones in the livewell ranging from 14 to 17 with one just under the slot at 19. Again, when the wind died down, we switched to jigs tipped with minnows, and continued to catch fish. Other boats were having decent luck trolling when the wind let up. We (all the boats out there) definately were catching more fish when the wind was pushing us between .5 and 1 mph.

Saturday, I didn't have to venture past the blinker area to find active fish. It was a catch and release day for me, and didn't have touble catching fish drifting rigs with minnows, and also tried pulling some cranks, which worked about the same as the spinners. All in all, I'ld say there are active pods of fish all over the west side, once you find them, you shouldn't have to move much. I have found that the depth of the active fish may change from one day to the next, and several different depths are holding active fish on the same day. i.e. I caught fish in 14-16 feet in one spot, moved maybe a mile or so, and found them in 9-11 feet. Good luck.

3 of us fished buffalo on sat. and caught alot of fish 14-21' in six feet of water was the best for us. mainly pulled cranks with boards. couldnt seem to find those big fish like the weekend before.

Did anyone have any luck on Sunday? I didn't. Maybe I should ask: was anyone dumb like me and go out on Sunday? I had one of those tougher days on the lake. Ski goggles on the face in the open boat and zero fish. Fished from 8:00 till noon and had enough. I haven't been skunked in a while. I'm blaming it on the weather. smirk.gif

Got out for a few hours after work last night. We headed over to the Elm area, and picked up a few small one along with five in the box. The wind died down, so we started backtrolling our spinners, and picked up a few more, with several "misses", which ran us low on minnows. At that point we switched to cranks, and worked some shallow water rocks, which produced three fish--18, 19, and 23. We had to head in due to darkness, but definately worth the trip. Ended up with three of us cleaning nine fish, with another dozen or so that we released. Fisky and Dirtball were out there as well, and I noticed their net out a couple times. Not sure how they ended up for day.

Fished Elm area Monday from 9:30 until 3:00. Not real fast but did catch plenty of fish. Lots of small ones. Minnows were working best.

I had decent luck on Sunday. Nothing like getting drenched though, but I've got a partial awning and a full windshield so it wasn't to bad when I was driving. We didn't head out till around 1 o'clock and fished until about 6. I went out the Rainy River, and cut through the Morris Point Gap to fish up by Zippel Bay. This area had the most protection from the wind and waves. We didn't catch anything big, but wound up catching some fish. I would never have gone out, but I had a friend up who didn't care if it was raining. Since the wind and waves left me an option of a decent area to fish I went out.

Monday the fish turned into a hard bite on the Southern end. I fished in the afternoon when I could finally get out of the gap, and didn't even get a bite after about 2 hours.

I will say that I did really well on Saturday night fishing a reef. We limited out on some nice fish. I didn't get to kiss a big one though and release her.

I did best on hammered brass gold spinner with gold and red beads using a minnow.

My friend did the best on about the same thing, and some jigs, but he had better luck using worms. He had a couple of tough hours out on the rocks with me catching fish and giving him a hard time before he finally started producing enough fish to save some face at the end.

Later, Ryan