• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Root River Bass Questions

Whats the best thing to use for bass at the root river? Spinners,fake worms? anything else?

The other things that I have had luck with on the root are twister tails, floating and countdown raps, rattlin raps, plastic craws, and tube jigs. It vary's day by day what seems to work best and even from one spot to the next, but those are the things that I use.

I've always used Raps and some twister tails. Chartreuse and brown with orange tail just dragged on the bottom. You can even get some eyes and saug dogs. You can get some on buck tails too.

I was on the Root last night and picked up my first smallie of the year on a small brown woolly bugger. he wasn't big, but he was fat (lots of bugs last night). The flows on the Root are up, but the clarity is still decent.

Where can you hook into some eyes and sauger on the root?

most of them on the eastern part of the river like by houston or hokah.

You'd be surprised at how good the smallie fishing can be all over the Root (even west of Chatfield), and on the Zumbro too. You don't have to go all the way to Houston county to find 'em (nothing against Houston county).

Wooly buggers, clousers, and other streamers work very well for us dirty/filthy tree-huggin' hippy fly guys wink.gif...even poppers when water temps get warmer.

I used to catch saugers and eyes under the bridge in Peterson on occasion after dark just dragging twister tails across the bottom.

Ron (obviously not your real name), Are you originally from Peterson? I've done a fair amount of fishing in that area myself and I'm from that area originally. Seeing some of your other posts, I'm wondering if I know you. Are your initials JG? If so, I might have done some wading/fishing/swimming on the mighty Root with you back when we were in high school. My initials are TP.

If you're not from Peterson originially, your initials aren't JG and you don't know what I'm talking about, never mind and sorry for the confusion. cool.gif You sound like a cousin of mine that I sort of lost touch with over the past ten years or so.

Doctor? Yes, JG would be me. "I love lamp."

So, did you figure out who you're talking to? I'm no Doctor, just grabbed the alias of one of my favorite lures, the Big Doctor Spoon. You and I spent a fair amount of time fishing the Root when we were younger(and thinner), and we made a mean two-person b-ball team those summers at the courts in Peterson. Of course the 9 foot hoop helped...

The wife and I fished the Root above Peterson a little on Saturday evening. We had a little action on some smallies but nothing too fantastic. A silver Mepps seemed to be most productive. Someday soon I'll have to get the waders on and hit some of the pockets I wasn't able to from shore.

Also, I know where you are today and I give you my condolences. Its never easy.

Yes Doc I had that figured out with the initials. No fishing this weekend. My weekend was spent camping in the rain in Bluffton and playing a little unlimited arc in Alta Vista IA and the funeral Monday.

Cool. Sometime when the schedules align, we'll have to try to do some fishing on the Root or in the Winona area. I was thinking of trying some catfishing some evening now that the warm weather is here.

Either that or we could meet at TR's in Lewiston and talk about fishing over some refreshments... later.

Who won the unlimited arc tourny in AV days?? We won it the last couple of years, then went to unlimited arc and our big boys couldn't make the adjustment, unable to make it down there this year because of a wedding....otherwise...GGG would have turned some heads

Probably not. DK Wood and the Young Guns were playing when I left. Dk was undefeated at the time. The only thing about GGG is that pretty Steele's that Jerry Chase uses that is actually is TITANIUM and no one has the stones to do anything about. smirk.gif

Right...you must have played this past weekend in fountain on one of the teams we ten-runned...12-2... scoring 2 runs the whole game isn't going to win you very many SLOW-pitch softball games...it's not like our pitcher was throwing fast-pitch...maybe next weekend you will get into a women's tourny.. then maybe you can compete. Jerry is 51 years old and go's 3-3 and you guys are 20's-30's and you can't even hit over .500... how did Jerry do the last game with the freak...still hit one over the fense so i don't think the bat has anything to do with it.. but good try maybe next time you score 2 runs you can place the blame on your own shoulder's instead of someone else's bat...

No we didn't hit at all. It didn't have an impact on the game at all. It could have had an impact on our pitcher though! Three times up the middle with titanium, just not smart. We lost the game all on our own and I'm not denying that. I notice your not denying that the bat is illegal. If you did you'd be lying. Good game otherwise, on your part anyway.

Just one more thing. He just proved he didn't need a cheater bat to hit well in the next game. Good hitter without it!

Jerry plays with us maybe once or twice a year when we are short guys. I don't know if it's legal or not, I've never used a steele's bat nor have I seen any other team around here use one so I couldn't tell you if his is different. He's the only one that uses it, it's not like our whole team was using it. So don't slap that logo on our team..

I'm not. Just saying that everyone knows what that bat is. I didn't figure he played with you guys very often. I've never seen him play with you before.