• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm headed to Nest Lake in a few weeks and was looking for some tips. Not looking for anyone to give away a ton of secrets. Just some good spots to try.... bays, points etc. I'd like to target panfish, norhterns and walleyes if possible.

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to nest lake, but I have had some success out there the past couple of years. If I were to fish panfish, I would go out from the northwest access, once out of the bay, head east just a short ways, and fish the weedlines. Caught some decent sunnies there last year about that time of year. If you would like to catch walleyes, fish around the islands. Keep tight to the weedlines. I use a 1 1/2 ounce bottom bouncer, with a spinner rig (hammered silver, or chartruse orange spinner) with a crawler. Another spot I have had success recently was the point on the southeast end of the lake. (southeast of the 2nd island) I hope this helps out a little. GOODLUCK and let me know how you do. I

Thanks Walleye King. I'll give those spots a try. We'll be there the second weekend in June. I'll let you know how we did.

How is Nest for Bass? We are heading up there in June to give 'er a shot. How about pike? We generally try to fish walley, bass, and pike.

Well I have fished nest lake quite a bit in the past 6 years. This lake can be good for pike, bass and panfish. Also sometimes it is good for eye's but to me they seem to be here and there.

For pike I would either do one of two things. Troll the shoreline around the lake or start casting. Some good casting spots are the shorelines around the west landing, the bays on nest, and around the Girl Scout Camp. For bass, well I don't fish them that much, I normally catch them when I'm fishing for pike. The bays seem to be a pretty decent area for them. Panfish aren't to hard to come by. Normally if you fish the outside weedlines in like 10' of water you can do good in about mid June and mid July. Now they are just starting to leave the shallows.

For walleyes around the islands are a good spot to start, also in front of North Shore Resort and sometimes around the west side of the lake.

Hope that helps you out some.

I fished nest for the last 15 yrs when we kept a camper at Cedar Point resort, saw many a good fisherman, saw many a good fish, (excluding me). I have seen some really nice eyes come out of there. fish the whole SW side from the acess to cedar point, then straight out from c-point. also the small island, then look to the southeast from island to a bouy there is a under water island, good for eyes,sunnies,smallmouth. also the bouy is sitting on and next to under water rock pile, unbeliveable how close you can fish to shore for eyes & smallies, specially smallies. my best fishing was always on the windy side of lake. I think that is was always a tough lake to fish, but one guy that also stayed at resort and now lives there, man could he catch fish, (retired!) Also many people call it a weedy lake, it is for a while but then they all let go of bottom and blow to shore then your hard pressed to find em. Good luck

Hey Renny....you wouldnt happen to be in the old grey trailer on the far end at Cedar Point? My folks had the trailer right next to that one.

nope, when you drove in and took the left fork, we were at the bend in the road in a white/green wildernes camper. there were only 4 campers in our row. i really liked that place, we went every weekend when the kids were little.

Renny,

You were right about the weeds - Sunday was my first time back on Nest in quite a few years and I couldn't believe the weeds for Memorial Day. 9 feet+ and weeds to the top in spots. I'll have to go back again this year and see if they get better or worse. I always fished in the fall before and didn't remember that many weeds.

DD

Great topic that was brought up! I'll be coming to Nest Lake with the rents' and a buddy the weekend of June 11th. With the weeds that thick already, where should I target the LM and SM bass?

Well the weeds get thick in the spring and early summer but by late summer, around middle of July to August the weeds go back down. But for a while it will be really full.

For Largies, once the weeds get to a certain point you can get out the heavy tackle and pitch in the open pockets right in the thick of things with frogs or worms. I have done well doing that. Or you can find some rocks and see if you can get some smallies too.

My favorite lure on Nest is the spinner bait. Casting shoreline and weedline can produce Pike, LM, SM, and Walleye.

I plan to get the plastics out and target Bass in the thick weeds. We'll see. Either way, I use mostly weedless lures on Nest.