• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I can remember several early summers seeing the wonderful sight of sunfish beds. Have never fished them, but thought it might be an enjoyable afternoon for the wife and I. I have a good idea where to look on several lakes, but can't remember when! <The first sign of old age: THE REMEMBERER FORGETS> Is not the sunny spawn fast approaching? Help me out guys... And thank you for doing that!

When the surface temp hits 68 degrees I start looking by moving over hard and clean sand bottoms. A shallow flat about 3 feet or less that is out of the way for development or boat traffic and out of the wind will hold beds. I wear polarized glasses and stand in the bow, the beds are easy to see. 68 is the magic number though. I don't bother looking before then.

I think most lakes are at least another week and a half away from gill beds right now. On my favorite lake last Monday we had temps pushing 60 (the magic number for crappie), but I know one little lake that had a 64 degree temp last Thursday, and I 'll be checking that one over the weekend.

2D, I thank you! Thought it was about this time of year...Duh? Had high hopes for the Memorial weekend and hitting sunnies or crappies, but it doesn't look too good for us right now. Would prefer a little more sun, a little less rain, a lot less wind, and a lot more temps! Not asking for too much are we? May the fishing gods be with us!

toadlake,

Due to the unusual weather, the sunnies are behind schedule. I am not even seeing beds in the usual places yet. We have been catching some in shallow bays with mud bottom. Sunfish spawn off and on all summer so you will get your chance.

Thank you, Bill. Sure wish I had not believed the Fargo Fool'em as far as the forecast for this holiday weekend. Believe we missed at least two days of pleasant fishing possibilities and one day of not quite as comforable conditions. Hope you and the rest of the anglers that were on the water had some luck. (Mr. & Mrs. Dummy made other plans and are now regretting it!)