• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tight mouthed fish or fishermen on pool 4?

I have seen several posts asking about pool 4 or pepin..and have seen only one short post on the fishing there.So I figure the bites slow or the fishermen are keeping it quiet....Several of my friends and i are going to the river/lake this week-end..It sounds like the bite is good at the end of the lake at camp Lacopolis(sp?) what about the main lake or closer to the damns? Live bait..rigs? jigs?...any help would be appreciated... Thanks and Everyone have a safe holiday weekend!

I had the occasion to talk with one in the know today and he states that the fish are there and coming to those who troll three ways and live bait.....minnows, leeches seem to be the best producers right now. I would not rule out jigging or trolling some sticks or cranks either.

People are catching fish wherever you consider, but the word is that the lower lake (LaCupolis)tends to see lots of traffic from other fishermen. With this being the first major summer holiday, I'd also look for, and expect, a serious increase in that bottle-neck area. Personally, I wouldn't be anywhere near this portion of Lake Pepin this weekend. I would think the Lake City area would be picking up some action about now...actually it is late for that area to not be jumping.

All of this relates to the walleye/sauger bite.

The bassing has been on and off. Tournaments have hammered the bass this year already and those fishing for those ar generally having to do their homework to stay connected..

I hope this helps you out.

I've been trying to catch crappies in the upper part of the lake to no avail. I know they are near where I am fishing, but the weather has messed with them greatly. So I don't much to report.

lots of nice 11-13" crappies in the lakecity harbor

under the docks.

plastic worked GREAT!! red was the hot color with purple a close second.

we used 1/32oz jigs and a slow swimming retrive with lots of pauses they would hit as soon as the retreve started again. no taps they just killed it!!

Thanks for the tips Crappie Tom

P.S. we also caught a 23" walleye on the lake side befor the wind came up

The trolling bite is doing fine in the lake. Crankbaits trolled in 12 to 17 FOW at about 2.5 MPH. Had a limit today for 2 people in about 5 hours. Also had good results on Saturday and Tuesday, same method but different areas.

Thanks for the advise on the eye's. will be camping out on the beach (the cove if it's there, anyone know if its open or filled in with sand from dredging?) across and just down river from Lacopolis.(Wisconsin side)

If any F.M.ers see a 18 1/2 foot fisher with Our names on the motor... Team "Holst/Voigt" and sponser stickers on the side ...( minkota motors/Harley Davidson) Then stop over for a dog or a brew/pop. Hope to miss the rain but the clouds would be nice to keep some of the skin off the lake.Traffic might get a bit much.. WAIT what am i saying!!!!!!!!!...sun please come out. I just realized that I fish way to much if I hope for clouds/walleyes over sun/bikinis. Anyhow, Hope to hear more reports, I'll post when I get back. Have a safe Weekend and stop by if your down there!

I was out yesterday morning with a guide on upper pool 4. He said the fishing has been very sporadic this May. One day you'll catch them and the next day you won't. Yesterday they weren't biting the best. We fished spots from fisherman's cut all the way up to the dam. Did manage a pike, a whitie, a sauger, a 10-12 pound channel cat, a few sheepies, and had one piggie walleye on that got off. Had numerous other short strikes. I had a blast, learned some new techniques and learned 4 new areas to fish so I'm calling it a success from that standpoint.

gspman

gspman, how many guide trips are you going to take on the river?? smile.gif You'll be the local expert before long...

If I had the money I'd take one every week. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

This is actually the second half of a full day trip that I scheduled in April. The first half was the day after the barge slammed into the dam & messed up the fishing. The guide was nice and said he was out of options so he offered to take me on a half day trip at a later date.

I view the lack of biting fish as a blessing in disguise because I learned a bunch of new techniques and a bunch of new spots for early spring and late spring/summer fishing. Had we pounded the fish on my first outing I'd only know a few early spring spots and a couple different techniques.

I now have a good excuse to get more fishing equipment for all the techniques I learned. laugh.gif I'm not sure the missus would go along with my reasoning though. blush.gif

gspman

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.