• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What sort of trolling motor: Riptide versus normal MinnKota

fishingmad

Question

Hi there,

I am gonna buy a new trolling motor. 55lb thrust, 54inch shaft wif Auto Pilot. The normal MinnKota one retails for about $600 but I was offered a refurbished (with warranty) Riptide model for 50 bucks less. Other than the fact that this is a saltwater model and that its white (which may not appeal to some), it seems like a good deal given that the riptides usually cost more.

so should I go for it? I won't be dragging my boat to saltwater but are there folks out there who fish with a riptide in the local MN waters?

thanks!

2 answers to this question

I'm 98% certain the riptide motors are about the same as the standard minnkota models, but with much better corrosion protection... the riptide should outlast the standard models..

sounds like you were at Motor Clinic.. I almost bought one of the riptides also, but settled with a different motor(very recently)... dont go motorguide.. if you want to know why, go to motor clinic and have them show you the brushes from one, then some from a minnkota.

thanks dave for the input

yup, was considering a motor clinic riptide. I think I will prob settle for a normal minnkota as my boat is black. it looks kinda funny to have a white riptide on a shiny black boat!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Bbobber
      I had a great weekend the weather was decent and fishing was good. I caught 5 walleyes 21"-25", 4 northerns largest was 32" and a 17 largemouth opening day. 2 more walleyes, 2 crappies 2 northerns on Sunday all on jig and minnows.
    • DLD24
      We had a good opener as well we could have kept limits opening day, but just kept enough for a fish fry. Then Sunday had our little friendly tourney and everyone had a pretty good day. Pulling cranks and jigs n minnows caught fish.  
    • Kettle
      Water temp today 45-50. Few fish, windy and cold 
    • Tominator692
      Had a great opening weekend. Son and I boated 51 walleye between Saturday and Sunday. Plenty of small stuff but no problem getting some nice keepers. This is a pic of the best weekend fish for us. 
    • fishingstar
      I was on Rice this weekend also. Seen boat lifts with water up to the canopy. I was the only one to catch a fish out of the hole campground It was about a 6" crappie.
    • BWpineisland
      We had a pretty good weekend. There were two couples and we limited out both Saturday and Sunday. The eyes we kept were all 15-17”.  We caught many 10-14” eyes and one 26” which was returned to the water immediately. All on a variety of jigs in 18-35’ of water. As usual the women out fished both of us😀
    • Bloatlord
      Wrong area, sorry.
    • Raven77
      I will second the advice on watching out for floating debris.  We saw a lot of floating logs and deck sections this weekend.  Also, most hazard and navigation buoys were not out yet.  I wonder how many lower units and props were destroyed this weekend?  It would be dicey if you don't know the lake.
    • Raven77
      I will admit it.  Zero walleyes in two days of fishing.  We fished shallow and deep and marked a lot of fish in 16-20' and had a few weak bites.  A friend of mine caught 6 walleyes on Sunday but worked hard for them and he has fished the lake his entire life.  Got a few crappies in Black Bay.  I was shocked at how few boats were out, definitely a reflection of late ice out and how few docks are in because of the high water.  My fishing partner drove back to the TC on Sunday night and traffic was surprisingly light.  I'm guessing late ice out discouraged a lot of fishermen from coming north.  We need some warm dry weather.
    • StillFishin'
      Not the report I wanted to hear for the first one.  At least your honest as a lot of guys may not want to admit it!   Well nothing wrong with crappies.  We’re they shallow?  And what bait were you using?   Stillfishin’    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.