• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi in Elk River

Fish to Win

Wondering if anyone has put in and fished the Mississippi in Elk River and if it is safe. Looks like you can go south all the way to the to the Coon Rapids dam. Any hot spots on the way?

Any help would be great- I would like to boat some fish and not crack the lower unit up. thanks-

Try the Mississippi north forum, theres lots of info there on previous posts on where its navigable and where its not!

What type boat are you planning to take? There are some very shallow areas (less than 2 feet)between Elk River and Anoka. You need to be very careful. It's best to go up river when you launch so you're able to at least get back to your vehicle.

Thanks RiverRat-

Do you put in in ER and go up stream- Any hot spots- How far north can I go. I have a 18 foot Blue Fin with a Merc 50.

You are extremely limited in your travel area with a boat like that in this area.

I have a 17.5 ft rig, and wouldn't even consider putting it in the Miss in that area. But thats just coming from a guy that has whacked my lower unit on a rock reef on the Miss.......

Completely concur w/ BLB, that size boat is looking to lose at least a prop blade. I broke off a blade on a short shaft 5hp on my 12' jon boat just up from the ER launch. Work the north side of the river north toward ER for walleyes, troll stick baits or weighted spinner rigs. There's a rock wing dam north of the launch up toward ER that you can't see when the water's up that usually holds fish. There are a bunch of great smallie spots north and south. There's one spot that will remain a secret where we never fail to get 3-4 BIG smallies. Work the shorelines both ways with husky jerks or tubes/twister tails on jigs along the shores for smallies. They can be color picky though, we've had days where they wouldn't touch anything but this or that color tube, just have to try different combos. Fish spots you wouldn't think would hold fish, they're there.

I agree. I wouldn't even begin to give someone advice on a boat that big. I banged up my old 20hp Johnson pretty good, got stuck down river a few times, etc. There are spots where you could go, but not very far, and I would hate to be the one who said it was OK to go here or there. You are safe with that boat south of the HWY 169 bridge on normal years. I hear the Dam work there is keeping it lower than normal this year though.

Right now with all the rain the waters up in front of the house, Still down about 4 feet. That's up about a foot and a half up from a couple weeks ago. wink.gif BLB, LGL and HT, Thank's for the heads up, The Lund is gonna stay in the yard a few more day's. smirk.gif

• 3 weeks later...

i live on the mississippi in elk river and yea its safe me and my dad have been fishing since i was 4 or 5. Im 14 now. lots of fish

Safe today, dangerous tomorrow.

The Elk River stretch is extremely dangerous waters on any normal year. Heck, most of the Miss is out of bounds for the average guy with a prop boat.

Please dont post that its safe just because you have fished it since you were 4 or 5. That doesnt mean the river is "safe".

Right now it is, and its WAY out of the norm.

we got a flat bottom john boat and a 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke and u can run fine most of the time in the channel. if it gets really shallow in the middle of the summer then we put on swimming suits and old tennis shoes and wade out to the rocks.

With the high water and drifting along the shoreline one thing to really watch out for that my good buddy fonz reminded me of is watch out for the current above trees leaning in the water. We can bounce off rocks but the current ripping under the tree can be very dangerous if you get hung up on the thing. Sometimes we get so focused on dropping the lure into the perfect spot that we forget we are drifting along at a prety good clip. So be safe out there!

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

i didnt look at the part where its says that you have a 18 footer thats a little big and not safe. If u can get some thing smaller it would be much safer