• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm from the cities heading up to Duluth this weekend for a wedding. Would like to show some Montana relatives what MN fishing is all about. I'm not familiar with fishing around Duluth. Looking at the maps and reports I was thinking of trying Fish Lake Res., Wild Rice Res., Island Lake Res., or Louis River with walleye in mind but catching northern, bass, crappie would also work. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Can't go wrong with the St. Louis river. Should be able to easily put them on some walleyes there.

go to the river, just look for the boats!! troll or drift with a crawler harness

Been on Fish and Island this year. You have to WORK for them. Best bet is St L. River. It is a sure thing this time of year. Good luck! I have quite a few 'WESTERN' relatives myself. Impress 'em good!

PS..Wa__art has a GREAT map of the St Louis River in the Map book of St. Louis County for $19. I would get it... It will help a LOT.

On that note if you make it up river there is a bait shop (can't remember the name of it off hand) that has free copies of the upper St louis in Gary, its below a liquor store about a mile before Boyscout Landing. Good luck and give us a report when you get back! grin.gif

Hey Cheffrey,

Another late night eh?? Good luck in getting that motor rigged back up, I had to laugh to myself when you opened up the door to show him the "motor" smile.gif You had me counting pieces. Hope it runs like a top when you get it back together.

Thanks everybody for the great advice. Hopefully I can put 'em on some walleyes in the river. I will grab a map; what general structure will I find the fish over? I have no idea where to launch, will there be signs off I-35 for boat launches? Thanks again, I'll provide a report after the weekend.

One of the better spots to put in is at Boyscout Landing off Hwy 23 (Grand Avenue). Just follow Grand Ave south until it makes a 90 degree bend to the west... Boyscout landing will be straight down off the end of the curve. If you follow the river a short distance (less than a mile) either direction, you will find groups of boats fishing just off the edge of the channel. Fish in these general areas with brightly colored crawler harnesses (Red, orange, chartreuse), and you should find the fish. Also, be aware that this part of this river sees a lot of traffic at this time of year so dont crowd out into the main channel. Oh and make sure you read the regs for this river as well. Only 2 fish allowed, with a 15 inch minimum.

Good luck!

I would put in under the High Bridge at Rices landing. Some of the better fishing has been down in that area trolling spinners on channel edges and flats. I would also troll the Barkers Island Area. Bottom Bouncers and Bright spinners and Crawlers will catch ya a few fish. Orange/Chart spinners are always good on the river.

fished the st louis on 5/25 out of boy scout. weather was 48 degrees and pouring rain. tried to go up river towards the dam but had never been up there before. if you don't have a boat to follow or a good map i don't reccomend it, it seems hard to find small areas to get through. ended up going down river about a mile - 2 rock bass, other boat we were with got 26 and 18 walleye.both fish in 6-8 feet. we usually fish under the high bridge and barkers island area but thought the fish may have still been up the river further.we are guessing the fish have moved down more because of the rain and weather? we used mostly minnows and breifly crawlers but crawlers may be better because the water has seemed to really warm up. other people fishing the boy scout area said they were catching a few here and there. hope this helps a little. good luck

Here is report as promised. Fished a half day on Saturday and it was slower than I expected. It wasn't just my boat; I didn't see too many others hauling them in. Started out fishing near the 23 bridge with crawlers. Managed two 14 inchers and whacked my prop a few times. Didn't care for the strong current and thought the fish moved downstream. Decided to move down closer to Spirit Lake. Caught a 17" and 21" on jig and minnow. Even though it was slow we still had fun and considered it successful as no one got "skunked". Thanks again for everyone's tips!