• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morning/evening all. I'll be in the vicinity of Echo Lake (northeast of Buyck) and wondered if it is worth a stop. Can it be fished from shore successfully. Live bait or lures? Thanks as always Mike

Where do you plan on fishing from shore?

The lake has walleyes and crappies. If use a small boat watch for rocks and submerged logs.

Crappies can be caught from the shore by the Forest Service Campground with a slip bobber and minnow or leech. Check out the deadheads all over the lake (logs mostly submerged with just the tip floating above surface.) Most of the deadheads will have crappies stacked from the surface to the bottom. Look out when in a boat heading to the East end of the lake from the access. Just past the point near where the river comes into the lake there is a small rock Island and half way between that and the North shore of the lake there is a large rock just under the surface usually, but not always marked with Jugs. I watched a guy scuba-diving there one day and he must have pulled up about a dozen lower units from various unfortunate boaters.

We'll be staying near Buyck and I won't have a boat to take around to other lakes. I was basically wondering if there were some smaller/shallower lakes that you could fish from shore....northerns, walleyes or smallies mostly I guess...I thought Echo looked like a possibility...any ideas? This will be first trip to this area of the woods. Always stayed closer to Ely.

Mike

Anywhere along the shore of the forest service campground would be find for catching crappies, northerns or smallies but I've never caught walleyes along there. The whole lake is about 7 feet deep with a few small deeper holes. Across the trail is Jeannette Lake and that's good for smallies and walleyes/northerns I hear.

You could rent a canoe at the outfitter located on the left hand side of the road between Buyck and the Echo Trail if you wanted to get out onto the lake.

I think it would be worth at least a drive down towards Jeanette Lake. It is a beautiful lake and the DNR have been stocking the lake for a few years with walleye fingerlings and would be worth a try.

Echo is worth while if you can get a boat and fish the stumps but one needs to be sneaky or you will spook the fish that are near them.

You could try slip bobber fishing from shore or use beetle spins for crappie on Echo.

Thanks for the information. This time next week, I will be catching fish in Minnesota. Well...hopefully....

Mike