• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

clousre minnows

Duffer

how do u fish them do u let them sink and then strip or do u strip them and keep striping what is your technieq i am just starting this addicting sport and want to try it on some crappies this weekend??

Quote:

how do u fish them do u let them sink and then strip

Yes

Quote:

or do u strip them and keep striping

And yes

There are a lot of different retrieves you can use. Crappies you may want to wait a little before starting the retrieve just because they tend to be a little deeper in the water column but you never know. Try one technique and if that don't work try another.

Good luck!

I've been fishing them really shallow lately and so haven't been giving them much time at all to sink. Then 4-6 inch strips with equal pauses in between. But if it's deeper, I'll give it up to a 10 to 15 count to sink before stripping. Deffinitely a great fly, probably my favorite. Enjoy it.

Deeky

How long you wait before you begin stripping the fly back is a function of water depth and where in the water column you think the fish want the fly. A properly tied Clouser goes down rapidly, so you can count the fly down to where you want it.

Duffer, welcome to the fly fishing forum! These folks are right on about clouser sink rates for crappies. The only thing I would add is to vary your retrieve until you find what works. When they are finicky you will find that a steady hand-twist retrieve works best. I have outfished spin guys using a clouser and wooly bugger combo with a steady retrieve. The fish will mouth your fly and follow along until you notice the tension and raise your rod tip.

If they are moderately active try slow twelve-inch strips with some pauses. Really active crappies will hit a fast-stripped fly but you are more likely to get slammed by a northern with that kind of retrieve. Can’t complain about that, you might get bit off but if not you’ll have a good fight on your hands!

Where are the crappies in their spawning cycle down there? I assume "down there," what area will you be fishing? Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Tieflyer, interesting to read about the steady hand-twist retrieve - that's a new one to me. Just how do you go about that kind of retrieve? Do you ever use that for trout as well?

Instead of any sort of stripping for your retrive, a hand twist retrieve is almost like crumpling line in your hand. It's a steady retrieve that doesn't called for you making the fly behave erratically - just plain, steady movement and typically very slow.

I'm trying to visualize this but may be getting hung up on the "twist" part, do you twist or wrap the line around your hand or just walk it into your palm with your thumb and finger and let if fall? What works best to get the steady retrieve you are talking about?

Thanks for the great responsis i fish mostly sothern lakes but i will be heading up north in the bemidji area around cass and winni. i mostly fish for crappies when they are in there spawning cycle when they move into the shallows to spawn. i would love to use my new fly rod for one of thoese buggers. thanks for the help im heading out this weekend till monday ill let u know how i did.

Palm - it's amost like you are crumpling up the line in your hand as you retrieve it. Once you get a bunch, then drop it and start over. It's a very slow retrieve because of the pace at which you are retrieving.

My dad just got back from our cabin in Aitkin and the crappies were staging in 5-8 feet of water. He was slip bobbering at 3 feet witha minnow, but also said they were on top in the evening because a hatch came off. The crappie spawn will be full bore if it hasn't already started.

Just my 2 cents.....

I also add one other technique to the clouser minnow.

Let it sink to the bottom and hop it or drag it along like a crayfish or wounded fish. It is great for smallies, northerns and big carp.

Tony

Just like how carpboy fishes them is how I like to fish them as well.

I fish the St. Louis River and Island Lake Res. after smallmouths and its fun on a fly rod and clouser. I usually fish shallow smallmouth and bass structures. Island and the river have lots of fun stuff to fish in and around for smallmouths and lots of fish too.

Remember to let those big ones back, it's takes awhile for the smallmouth to grow 20"+.

Have fun fishing the clouser, one of the best for sure.

Droy, it's difficult to explain in writing but Trico has done as good a job as possible. If you go to a fly shop they'll show you how it goes...or when we fish together I'll show you.

Duffer, good luck this weekend! If the craps are in shallow (<5 fow) I would start with something lighter than a clouser to suspend in the zone longer.

Have a good, safe weekend all!

Duffer,

Tieflyer and Trico gave you great advice, but if you find the hand twist tough to master, there are options. One option is to tuck your rod under your arm and strip the line in hand-over-hand. Resist going to fast and deep the fly moving on a plane at a steady pace. Strip set if you feel a strike. Crappies usually like a slow steady retrieve right above their heads. Try using skinny water Clousers (smaller dumbbell eyes). If you are fishing over a small target, like an individual sunken tree, you can even just pull the fly slowly through the strike zone by slowly swinging your rod to the side. (secret ~ some times a 64 oz. ice jig on weight forward floating line can be even more deadly then the clouser)

guys thanks for the great feed back my weekend was awsome i did great on the clouser worked awsome. the only problem i had was that i tended to loose alot of flyes this could have been becasue the craps where in a reed bed. and i was snaging the reeds often which i think lossend the knot then i tended to loose it in the cast im wondering what knot u guys use. the weekend was great caught more crapies then i have ever caught before not to mention that it was the first time i ever caught a fish on a fly. ill tell u this is one addictive sport the grin on my face when i caught that first fish was so big i never new i could smile that big. thanks for all the tips. just let me know if i am doing somthing wrong that i am loosing so many flys i am using a regulat klinch knot then tryed a trillian knot and still seemed to lose the fly.

I suggest the Pitzen Knot. It is a much stronger knot the the clinch or even the improved clinch knot. It is a very easy knot to learn and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Use this link to see the directions for this knot.

(Hopefully this link is alright to post.)

[No unauthorized links, please read forum policy.]

Mike

Magneto---thanks for that knot, it is easy to tie (for old eyes too). Check out this simple and effective knot--- [No unauthorized links, please read forum policy.]

This is a great site.

chuck

Duffer,

Great to hear your success story. I like to use a loop knot to connect my streamers, including Clousers. It allows the fly to swing more freely and that adds more motion. There are a lot of good loop knots out there ~ try the Homer Rhode loop knot.

Ok no links---do a seach for capt. Mel loop knot. This is a simple easy effective knot used in salt and fresh water.

chuck

Duffer, congrats on catching your first fish on a fly! Sounds like you had fun.

This is an excellent time of year for shallow warmwater opportunities. As the panfish move in to spawn the big predators often raid the shallows to protect beds and pick up an easy meal.

• 2 weeks later...

generaly what size tipit do u use on your clousre minnows???

Duffer

As a rule of thumb tippet size should be hook size divided by 3. So if you are using a size 6 hook 6/3=tippet size 2.