• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Multi species day on a tiny creek

I am a big fan of small streams, especially if they have a big pool or pond associated with them to hold fish during the winter.

Near my house there is a small spring creek that also acts as the flood control system for the area. (Golden Valley is very wet and has a high water table) This creek ends in Sweeney Lake eventually and has a series of ponds along the way.

While fly fishing this weekend, I caught a half dozen big male green sunfish (great fight in a little fish), a 5 pound pound carp that took me into my backing and a near-slab crappie that appeared to be full of eggs.

The next pond down stream is full of big carp and several 10 pound northerns.

The creek is no more than 10 feet across and six inches deep yet supports these various species. (lots of bullheads in the ponds with no northerns as well)

Go check the ditches near your house, they might just hold some fish. No one except a couple of kids from the neighborhood fish these spots. A private honey hole in the city!

Tony

Yeah, I used to fish a tiny stream when I was younger. I would sit out there all day and catch about every species possible. Everything from walleyes to rainbow trout, it was some great fun. Might have to head back down there again a few times this year. It really is amazing when you put a good eater walleye out of 2 fow.

Creeks are great for that. Minnehah creek in south minneapolis is that way to this day. You'd never guess it by looking at it but I have caught walleye and northern pike in clear view of the joggers and bikers. Many would yell "there aren't any fish in there!" Fine with me, more fishing for me that way.

Tony

There are some nice creeds like that over in cologne, the carp right now are just starting to spawn so its a great time to go out with the bow or spear.

• 2 weeks later...

Carp boy...

Are you talking about Bassett Creek? I grew up near there, fished it all the time. We caught everything from northerns and sunnies to crappies and carp...not to mention lots of fiesty little creek chubs. I don't think it ends in Sweeney Lake though...if I remember correctly, it runs all the way to the mighty Miss...there is an outlet from Sweeney that connects with Bassett near Courage Center.

Actually it is a small spring-fed tributary of Basset. It is un-named but I think a local name for it is King Creek. One of the old topo maps called it South Fork of Basset Creek. It stays open all year so the fish don't die out in the various ponds associated with it.

I fish Basset all the time. It is my favorite stream on this side of town and is almost back to a healthy state of being. (Minnehaha is my favorite stream in town but it is a bit farther for me to go)

CREEK CHUBS! I love those fish. I consider them our local trout. Same size (ok, almost), same habitat, same methods, same fight. I use a 4 wt and nymphs to fish them in Basset. They are often the only species present in long areas of the creek that appear 'dead'. I am looking for a cheap 1 wt to be my chub rod.

I have a Basset Creek Grandslam - Carp, Creek Chubs, Northerns, Bullhead. I have made it once with a fly rod and many times taken three out of four. The bullheads are usually the missing fish, very hard on a fly.

The neighbor tells me that his kids used to catch brook trout out of the creek back in the 50's. I am so glad that we managed to destroy a native brookie stream! God forbid there be good sportfishing 10 minutes from the city. (sorry, no ranting)

Tony

I am having a tough time picturing where this other "branch" is...I almost always fished the stretch downstream of Hwy 100 to just downstream of Noble Avenue...especially the pond just northwest of the intersection of Golden Valley Road and Regent Ave, and a small stretch just upstream of Valley of Peace Church. Many fond memories of growing up in that area...I always try and hit a few stretches of the creek once every couple years. Sweeney Lake was another favorite when I was a kid...

Oh yeah...my dad grew up in that area too. He has told many stories of catching trout in there when he was little (late 50's through early 60's). That would have been fun!

I don't like to post too much detail about the locations of my ponds but it doesn't flow directly into Basset. If you are curious, email me and I'll tell you where they are. It dumps into Sweeney and then Sweeney dumps some water into Basset. I think that is why it had the designation on the topo. I consider it an un-named, secret creek. It often looks like a ditch and that is just fine with me. ;-)

I am trying to picture the spots you mentioned, I need to pull up a map to see where Regent is. It is good to know that there are others out there who apprieciate that creek. THanks for the tips, I'll check them out if I haven't already. (lots of scouting, starting to lose track of what spots I have been to.)

Tony

It is good to know that there were fish in that pond at Regent and Golden Valley road. I keep thinking that it looks really 'fishy' but have never had any evidence that there are fish in there. I'll have to give it some better attention. Although, it looks pretty silted in and that may be why it is not as good now.

On a map, it should be full of spawning carp about now but I have never observed them in there.

Thanks again!

Tony

I certainly understand about posting specifics...I think I can now picture where it is that you are talking about. Thanks for sharing stories about that fun little creek!!! I will keep checking back for more stories/updates

Hey Carpboy & TPro - how deep does Bassett get? I have a pup that I need to introduce to water and have been looking for a small creek to get him to swim across and haven't found much around my place in the Rogers/St. Michael area that isn't flowing heavily right now. Any suggestions on a place where I can wade across so he has to swim and follow...and not be in someone's back yard too?

TPro - you have any suggestions out in our area?

If you can, please email me at mrdba2u at yahoo dot com

Thanks!

Blaze

Blaze,

A creek like Bassett really varies...most places I would guess it to be 3 feet deep or less, usually about 18 inces or less, although I have found some areas near storm runoff inlets that seemed to be closer to 5 feet, maybe more.

I am somewhat new to the area...been in ALbertville for about 3 years, and am not totally familiar with smaller, shallow streams/creeks in the area. Obviously, if the Crow river wasn't so high, that would be a great spot to take a pup swimming, especially in some of the shallower areas, like down towards Hanover. Otherwise, the only other areas I can think of would probably be in the Maple Grove area, maybe Elm Creek or Rush Creek.

when i was a kid i used to fish a creek that ran thru golden valley golf course, dont remember name but wed catch big bass northerns and lots of crappies and sunnies, not to mention bullhead and carp. unfortunately we werent spose to be there so i cant go back now, i think as kids they gave ya some slack but an adult fishing on the course would probably be frowned on.

joefish - That is Basset Creek. I have often tried to come up with a way to fish the golf course part of the creek. They are not so keen on it. There IS a pond directly attached to the creek in the course and this should be legal water as per DNR recreational use regs. I am thinking about kayaking into there some day but the golf balls flying around seems to be a bigger deterrent.

Tony