• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Keeping live fish legal??

I'm thinking about raising some crappies and maybe little bass(when season open) in my fish tank. Is this leagal??

and will it count toward my daily possession?

any help would be great.

Thanks

CrapMan

Yes you can. Yes it counts against your possession limit.

You can NOT take them from a lake, they need to be bought from a pet store. It is illegal to transpot live fish.

technically there is one way of getting around that and that is to have a child under the age of 15 with you while you are transporting the fish. All fish must also be under 10"

Dave - I was wondering if you could point out where in the regs. it mentions that aquarium fish would count towards a limit? I'd be curious as I have had native fish tanks set up at home before and will likely do it again, but obviously don't want to get in trouble with the DNR.

Dave that is incorrect--If you purchase the fish from a pet store they do not count against your possession limit. Your possession limit is derived from fish that you catch in a legal manner of fishing. That is like saying that if you buy walleye fillets from a store that they count against your possession limit. Sorry man, but your wrong on that.

If your child brought home a fish he caught and put in the aquarium that counts towards possession. Any fish bought whether at Lund's or the pet store doesn't. That's how I read it anyway. However, I would be hard pressed to believe a CO is going to count any aquarium fish towards your possession limit. If he is actually in your house you're probably way over the limit anyway.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Dash 1
      First open water fishing this morning. Planed to go to Clearwater but water was 6 inches over docks. Drove over to Sylvia/Twin and access was great. Water very clear, could see bottom in more than 12 ft.  Caught several sunfish and bass. 2 northerns and a crappie. Most went back including a 9.5 in male sunny. Beautiful fish. Most caught in less than 3 ft water.  Temp was 61. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      We are high up on the hill so no worry of water damage, but our electrical box wasn't too far from the rising lake water. I hope that issue doesn't start hitting others as well!
    • Fish Head
      I was up for opening weekend, but only fished Saturday morning. I had a limit by 6:30 so headed back to the cabin to get work done. In about an hour I lost 2 on the way to the boat, boated a 13" that I threw back, and kept a 14, 15, 16, 17. Nice size eaters. Jig and minnow in 15-20 FOW.  Water temps where I was fishing was 41.    I have damage to 2 docks and several trees down. I hope this water level goes down soon! Good luck everyone. 
    • leech~~
      These shirts are pretty nice too! 👌 
    • leech~~
      Welcome to the forum. Buying clothing and gear for outdoor activities is part of the fun! 🙂
    • markwell2003
      I'm willing to buy this white shirt. It will look awesome with the juicewrld pants.
    • Bloatlord
      Opener was decent on Saturday and absolutely on fire Sunday. 9 eyes, three over 25 in, one at 28.5. A bunch of largemouths, some crappie and perch and a TON of bullhead. One of those weekends where your hands start to hurt.       
    • harrylynn64
      I'm quite happy since I'm going fishing with a pal for the first time in a long time. We plan to purchase some clothing for it, such as exclusive hoodies.
    • jparrucci
      The majority of docks can't be put it. Water is over the top of pretty much every permanent dock.  Very few docks are in. 
    • cm012419
      Crappies are all up shallow in the south metro. Caught this one shore fishing with a beetle spin from a more secluded lake without much access. All of the crappies were between 7-9 inches with this 11.5" being the exception

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.