• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm planning a hiking trip of the Kekekabic Trail in the month of July. I'm aware that this trail goes directly through the blowdown area.

Can someone tell me if the trail has been totally cleared? Has it impacted the number of bear in the area? Has it impacted fishing along the trail?

I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Hey Tony, there is a club that maintains the Kek Trail, you may want to try them out for specific information, or check with the Forest Service.
As to the number of bears, the blowdown has altered the patterns of lots of animals, since it is nearly impossible for them to move about in some areas. With the wetter weather and army worms up there this year, looks like the varmints will have plenty to eat, and should not be overly pesky.
The blowdown does not appear to have altered the fishing, but the view from the lakes sure has changed! Since I'm assuming you will be fishing from shore, accessing some areas may be a bit of a workout.

Thanks, Pete. You validated part of what I was wondering. I'm prepared for it to be a rough hike. That's part of the challenge.

I'm just hoping the bears aren't using the trails now as navigation routes! They can really slow a guy down! As well, it's going to be tough to hang a pack in some areas. I'm bringing the dog with me, so maybe that will help some.

Have a great summer.

Tony

Hiker,

You sound like you might know your way around the woods fairly well, so don't let me insult your intelligence, but.....

....keep a good eye on your dog while in wolf country. A buddy of mine lost his English Setter to wolves a couple of years ago while out grouse hunting. He even heard the attack, but couldn't get there in time.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case you hadn't thought about it.

Good luck.........

Thanks, Huskminn!

I've thought about the wolf issue... I'll keep the dog close at hand. She's really good on voice command and isn't a "bolt after wildlife" animal. She's more the "protector" type!

Keep the comments coming! I'm still interested in know more specifics of the trail conditions. I'm also monitoring the fire potential.

Thanks A Lot!

Tony

Heed the voice of Huskminn! I've known of several pooches nailed by wolves, including several right by our cabin. I keep pretty close tabs on my lab up there, and he is a very husky brute.
Several years back my old lab took in after a crippled mallard, and the chase led across a beaver pond and into the woods on the far side. Confident that he would return shortly with the duck, I pulled out my Thermos, poured a cup of coffee, and listened, and was soon rewarded to hear the duck squawk in protest, as the dog grabbed him.
About that time, here comes 3 wolves down the shoreline on the other side of the pond, homing in on the dog and the duck. I yell, I whistle, I shoot the shotgun. Wolves look at me, figure "Heck, he's too far to bother us", and continue the mission.
Dog reaches the water again, clutching duck, and is confronted by wolves. Not a darn thing I can do but watch - they are well over 100 yards away, and no way to get there quickly.
Dog puts bird on the ground very carefully, places a large paw on it, hair comes up on the back, and the most Godawful rumbling sound comes out of him.
The wolves try to move around, with one trying to circle, when the old dog rushes at the the nearest 2. They backed off, and the dog grabs the duck, leaps into the water, and continues the mission. I nearly pass out.
That old lab was one ornery cuss, and I doubt many dogs could have pulled that off (certainly not his replacement!).
As to the trails being used as travel corridors, you can bet that they will be, by all kinds of critters. To tell you the truth, I'd much rather run into a bear than a moose - bears are pretty much wimps, and will go out of their way to avoid contact. A moose is much more likely to view the trail as its property.

Wow......that's one hell of a story. I would have liked to have met that dog.

I agree... this is GREAT information and conversation! I'm really excited by it... I mean it!

But hey folks, I'm really interested in the CURRENT state of the Kekekabic Trail. Can ANYONE offer information? Has anyone walked it lately? What about last year? Has anyone been on a lake near it? What affect has the blowdown had?

In July... I'll figure it out on my own while there. I'm doing my best prepare in advance. I've contacted the Kekek Club, but I haven't found anyone who has "actually" been in the are this year.

Help me if you can. Keep the stories coming. But please keep it close to the topic. The Kekekabic Trail conditions is the topic. (Don't get me wrong... I still want all of the advice that you folks are offering. I appreciate the advice and I often learn a LOT! But, I'd really like to hear from a Trail Clearer or a Club Member?)

You guys/gals have a really GREAT website and responsible source of information! PLEASE keep it up!

THANKS FOLKS!

Tony (The Hiker)

One more thing... I'm sorry for the poor grammer in the last message. (I typed it in a moment of passion!) I really think that the internet takes "some words from messages" just to make you feel ignorant!

Tee Hee

Tony

You may want to try the permit issuing station for the Forest Service, located up in Ely in the Wolf Center building. They might have some idea of current conditions.
However - the Kek has never been a heavily used trail, and other than a few hard-core hikers, not many bother with it, which is why I suggested the Kek Trail club. I haven't been on the trail since they changed the starting point to the Snowbank Landing road several years back, but have canoed some of the lakes on the western side of the Trail since the blowdown. Lots of downed trees. Lots.
If the clearing job on the trail was anything like the portages, you may find additional windfalls and branches blocking you - that stuff can change from day to day. Or even in the same day!
Assuming the wet weather holds, you shouldn't be hampered by official restrictions - but I would keep a real close eye on weather and moisture conditions. There are sections of that trail where you are an awful long way from big water should a fire break out, and you wouldn't want to be anywhere near those areas if that happens.
Just a thought.

Yeah... that's kind of what I've expected. I'm worried about fall-downs and traps on the trail. I think that the people who spend time on the lakes can tell me alot! (I haven't received any real news from the Keke Club!)

Again, thanks to all who have "shared". I know this will be an "adventure" for me, and I SINCERELY appreciate the input.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

My dog and sweetie and I made a trip up there over the weekend. We basically walked about 1/2 mile up the Kekekabic Trail, and I'm certain conditions are going to be good on the trail. (At least the part that we saw!)

There were a lot of down trees, but it looks like there has also been a lot of clearing taking place.

Now... here is the fishing question! Does anyone know a reliable way to catch Rainbow's, Browns and Lake Trout by using things found in the woods? Do worms work if presented to the fish the right way?

Thanks Again, and I'll wait on responses.

The Hiker

Hiker,

Sorry for the long delay in a response, but I just got back from my honeymoon....I think I can help you with your Q's about the trout.

What you will mostly find will be splake, brookies, rainbows and maybe lakers....I don't think many BWCAW ponds are stocked with browns, at least I've never run accross them. I can't help you much with the lakers, but every other specie will succumb to to following tackle.

I assume you are looking for minimal tackle to take along and certainly nothing too heavy and I assume that you won't have a fly rod. My assumptions correct so far?

You need a selection of nymphs and wet flies, some split rings, a few casting bubbles, a few small in-line spinners, some split shot and a few small hooks. Everything should fit in three 35mm film cases and will weigh less than four ounces.

If the fish are feeding on insects, you've got that covered. If you find suitable live bait (worms, caterpillars or crickets), you've got the live bait rig....or if they're not doing either, sometimes a spinner will work.

If you are unfamilar with fishing with a fly and bubble (which most people in MN and elswhere are) just let me know and I'll give you the details. I can also recommend some flies, too.

This tackle set up has worked for me on BWCAW backpacking trips and also on pack trips out west. It's small, simple and effective.

Good luck......