• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am new to the knife River area and was wondering if there is any one who is familiar with the area and willing to share some fishing info. I have been out 4 times now and haven't had a release. I fished shallow from knife river to the French River average 15-40FOW with bombers and I have tried out in deep water trolling spoons from 50 -125 in 150 to 200 FOW. I have fished lake trout this time of year and they always seem to be shallow. But nothing works for me. Is there any special tricks or techniques that work better in this area. I have herd of quite a few fish being caught and I though someone may be able to point me in the right direction. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As you're most likely aware, most of the warmer water is over on the South Shore now. This is where the smelt have been lately, although most of us weren't able to net any due to the ugly weather we had. A lot of fish have been stacking up on that warmer water. I marked a ton of fish there Saturday. I've never had success up at Knife this time of year, as the water seems really sterile in comparison to what you'd find E and SE of there.

If I were you, I'd hug the shore and use trolling boards to see if you can't snag something. If I were you, I'd get a Wisconsin license. If not, then fish between the Duluth entry, along park point, out to the Superior entry, an move out gradually as the water warms up over the next month or two.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I have been debating to get a Wisconsin license and run across from knife river because that is where I keep my boat. I believe its about 13 or 14 miles but I'm just not sure it would be worth it. I have herd from other people that the fishing on the South shore kind of dies off around the end of May I don't know if that is true or not. I have never fished the South shore but I have fished between the Duluth and superior entries quite a bit in the last couple of years a have done so so, 3 to 4 fish was about the best day I have had. What time of year do the fish move up to the knife river area? Do they mainly fish shallow or deep for them?

I was at the marina this weekend and only a few going out. Just too cold yet. I think the ones getting anything (lake trout) are bouncing the bottom. That's what I heard people talking about anyway. I have never done it, not setup that way.

What people seem to do early in the season, is run down to the water treatment plant then out 4 or 5 miles. Maybe next weekend.

Hope this helps, info from a novice. Al

I was hearing the same thing, that people were bouncing the bottom for lake trout. I have never done that this time of year. It must work but I have no clue how deep and were they go. I was told the first part of June that fish should start moving up into this area and they do good shallow with boards. They also said the fishing is usually good June thru July.

I really hope so, I got a slip at the marina for the season.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thats the downside of renting a slip, you have to fish that area unless your up to running the lake. Things will heat up in your area. Right now your going to be looking for Lakers deep. Why, because thats where their prefered water temps are. When temps aren't optimal Lakers will regualte their internal temps by laying on the bottom. How deep is the question. I'd start looking at 150' and go deeper before I looked shallower. Your going after resident lakers right now, as the water on top warms you'll get into coho and chinooks first then the lakers. These fish will be cruising the top water following the temps. This site will give you water temps on top. http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/superior/s11.html

What your looking for is the warmer water right now. The closer you can fish a warm and cold water break the better your going to do. Later on the top water fishing will die down as the good top water temps make their way up the shore. Your going to follow those temps or start fishing deeper again for Lakers. You won't have to go as deep when this happens at first but eventually and depending on the summer you could be back down to as much as 200'.

Thanks a lot for the info. That site should help, It will give me an idea were to begin. If anything heats up that way I will keep you guys posted.