• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone catch a tagged fish before?

Just read the Star Trib report about the 7,000 tagged pike on Mille lacs. They are also tagging some walleyes. Just wondering if anyone has caught a tagged fish before, where, what species etc....

I have not caught one, but my supervisor at work her husband caught one, the dnr sent him a letter saying when it was tagged and how many times it was caught. kinda cool.

BDR and I fished Chequamegon Bay this past winter and BDR caught a tagged smallie...

taggedsmallie.jpg

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

P1010003.gif

6 year old female clipped steelhead caught 4/20/05 near the french hatchery. Yellow tag near the dorsal fin

I have not only caught a tagged fish, but I caught the same exact tagged fish twice within 10 minutes.

Even funnier yet, we were fishing near a launch on Mille Lacs, and they had a DNR Fisheries guy on board when I caught it.

So we hollered the numbers over to him, and bingo, I got the same exact fish shortly after.

I kid you not!

Caught a 35" Pike on Buffalo Bay, DNR said it had been tagged at 31" near Warraod area.

I caught a tagged walleye years ago(mid 70's) fishing from shore at the Hoo Doo point camp ground Lake Vermillion.....never caught another tagged one since...

I've caught several tagged fish. I carry notepad with me to record data and then report it to DNR so they can keep accurate data.

I was fishing a Mille Lacs launch a few years ago when I caught a tagged Walleye. It had been caught and tagged earlier that day on the same launch.

I caught 2 tagged lake sturgeon on Four Mile Bay on Lake of the Woods last April. One was 46" and the other was 24".

First walleye on the opener was tagged. 17" Mille lacs. Caught four last year on Mille lacs over the summer. All on the west side. Still waiting for the info from the dnr.

I've caught several walleyes on the St.Louis river that were tagged. And two smallies in Ashland. ( you know were I mean I just can't spell today) crazy.gif

Years ago, I got a 8 1/2 pound Walleye, through the ice, on Lake Koronis, that had some kind of yellow tag jabbed in under it's dorsal fin. I made a report of the catch to the DNR.

Caught a walleye during the summer of 2002 on Mille Lacs that had ben tagged 1 week before I caught it. It was still in the same area that it was in when the DNR did the tagging. They sent me a history of the fish and of course I was the first to catch her since they put her back.

I have caught several tagged Mille Lacs walleyes. I always thought that was the typical way all walleyes were tagged. It is a small tag that is attached on the back with a "T" anchor - kind of like a clothing tag. It is a slick tag that likely doesn't affect the walleye at all.

A couple years ago we ran into a weekend where we caught about a half dozen tagged fish on Woman Lake. This was a real anomaly because the fish had been tagged years earlier. When I talked to the area DNR guy, he said he was really surprised to hear about any of those tagged fish this many years later, let alone a half dozen from the same boat! Only males had been tagged so none of these fish were bigger than 22". What upset me was the method used to tag these fish compared to the nice way I had seen on Mille Lacs. These fish were tagged by running a stainless steel wire (about the thickness of the spiral in a notebook) and creating a loop. The loops were about 6 inches long. They looked like cave men had done the tagging. I commented to the DNR guy something about they can't possibly tag like that anymore and he answered that actually, on occasion they still use that method! On one hand the fish had obviously survived for years with these big metal loops coming out of their backs, but on the other hand every one of them had bad sores where the wires came out. Plus, I asked the DNR guy if it wouldn't be easy for a walleye to become entangled in sunken branches or have the wire catch on other things that could kill them. He answered, that certainly would be possible.

Way back like 20+ years ago I caught a Sturgeon down by Hastings dam that was tagged. I sent in length and girth and location I caught it at. And like the others I got back a little history of the fishes movement based on all the catches. I was a little surprised how many times it was caught. and how slow it grew. This thing was quite old and was only about 30 inches long. Cool little tag on this Yellow stick like thing sticking out with a number and an address on it. Kinda cool to be part of the information flow.

3 of us caught 3 tagged walleyes in one night last Fall on the West shore of Mille Lacs. DNR confirmed that all 3 had been stocked in that same area.

I was fishing on a launch about 3 years ago on Mille Lacs and between about 18 people the same walleye was caught 3 times. He must have been a hungry fella grin.gif It makes you think, do these fish really spook as easily as we think? Just put your bait in the water every chance you get, it's put more then 1 fish on my family's wall grin.gif

I've caught 2, one was a flathead in the minnesota river, it was tagged 9 miles away from where it was caught, it had been tagged only 6 months prior to that. Another one was a lake Mille lacs walleye, never sent in the numbers, couldn't rember them when i got back to shore...

This is fun to read - keep em coming...It looks like the Mille Lacs walleyes earn the most frequent award. It was an interesting post about Woman lake. I was digging through some of my old fishing stuff in storage. I found a lake map of woman lake from a smallie trip I made there with a friend almost 10 years ago. I had never even thought of this lake again since last night - and then here is a post about it today. Kinda weird.

I have caught three Walleye tagged by the USFWS. These fish were caught in the Pigeon River on the Grand Portage Indian Reservation. I heard that at least one of these tagged fish from the Pigeon had been caught up past Thunder Bay, Ont. in one of the river tributaries, indicating a resident population of walleye in Lake Superior, well up past Duluth, that migrate into the rivers to spawn and feed until late summer/fall. During the winter they live in the big lake eating smelt and herring, living long, and growing large.

I caught 1 tagged walleye on Lake Vermilion back in the late eighties, kinda cool to find out the history of these fish!