• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do you need?

united jigsticker

$1.49 for a pack of plastic bodies.

$1.99 for a pack of jig heads.

$2.25 for a scoop of minnows.

$4.50 for a spool of line.

$60 for a rod

$50 for a reel.

$18.50 for a fishing license.

$40 for a life jacket

$14,900 for a boat, motor and trailer.

$37,988 for a pick-up truck.

$800 a year for insurance.

$2.05 a gallon for Gas.

$29.99 for a net (if you’re lucky, you’ll need to use it)

Seems kinda spendy to me. But it’s worth it.

But WHY is it worth it?

Is fishing exciting because it is a challenge? Or because you never know what you will catch…or how big it will be. It’s a little mystery every time you get a bite.

Why is pulling on something that is pulling back in sporadic movement such a blast?

And if that’s fun, how come we don’t cast out big ball shaped “practice plugs” with no hooks in them in the backyard, and then fight the dog as we reel it back in?

Wouldn’t that be fun?

Why don’t we just get a spool of yarn, and dangle it over the stairwell, and fight the cat on the other end?

If I didn’t fish, I would live in a mansion.

Why?

Because then I could afford it.

I could still drive a new car, too.

A 2005 Kia.

Cost me $100 a month in payments and gets 42 mpg.

But I pay more then that a month in insurance for all my fishing related toys.

Need a boat.

Need a truck.

Need a 4 wheeler for winter.

Need a snowmobile when there’s too much snow.

Where does it stop?

Some people have a cabin on the lake.

They need a dock, and a boatlift.

And I need…the POWERBALL to continue to afford my only hobbie.

FISHING.

I NEED fishing!

Nice thread grin.gif

I've asked myself the same questions.

I had all the toys new truck, boat, trolling motor, rods and reels, gps, trips here and there. I thought do I need all this? Well, I sold my truck and boat and some toys... You know what? I found that I get the same satisfaction and euphoric feeling plopping my arse on the river bank with a walmart combo, not knowing what I might catch, watching the sun go down.

Hey United, First thing I would do is call around to get better rates on insurance. Yikes I don't pay anything like that for boat and truck combined. Find out how to get off risk and get off. Har Har. All hobbies can get expensive. But really a 29.00 rod and reel combo at walmart a 1.29 pack of hooks and a 2.00 pack of sinkers. And a .33 can of corn per trip will get you some great days on the river catching carp.

So really it's what you want it to cost. Cheap therapy really.

LOL.

i have most of the toys, but my stuff is a little older.( couldn't afford the new!) and the fishing in the back yard for my black lab was a riot!!( now she's to old to play crazy.gif) but i need fishing too. grin.gif

....i guess i really never needed the bigger boats the main stream need to be out on the lakes..i've have always liked the more "remote and simple" way of enjoying being on the waters up here in northern minnesota...some of the boat landings provided are pretty tough to launch a full sized boat trailer(like the pics i have here,tough to launch a trailer at this site near the gold mine camp on the vermilion river)..sure these canoes are small but great for those more remote fishing holes that the mainstream has no access to....these pics were from yesterday(just a day trip)....grey ,windy,rainy but still had a great time(managed a few average walleyes,northerns and couldn't keep the perch off the hook)....and this way of fishing doesn't cost an arm and a leg...i've been doing it for 35 years...and still enjoying it grin.gif

"your's truly" at the small creek side access:

DSCF1945copy.jpg

a pit stop on a pine coverd point.."my canoe"

DSCF1955copy.jpg

my partner in his "sport pal"

DSCF1946copy.jpg

not big but he's still smiling.lol!

DSCF1961copy.jpg

UJ, mind if I quote you? I like that! I know a bunch of other people that will thoroughly enjoy and completely agree with this.

nice pictures u got it right i wouldnt be able to put my boat in there sure wish i had a cannoe.

A $20k truck and a $3500 boat (14.5 foot and 20hp motor) do the trick nicely for me...not gonna get you out on the big water (Mille Lacs, Leech, Winni, OT), but there are plenty of other waters around.

When adding up the costs don't forget: $300 for a portable ice shack, $250 for an auger, and $300 for a Vexilar/MarCum. Fishing is a year-round sport...

I have been fishing for 25 years and most of the toys of the sport. I will admit however that I get great joy simply fishing off the dock at the cabin, shore fishing on a remote lake, or from a kyak or canoe. I think it is the peacefullness and being at one with nature as much as the fishing that I enjoy

*What I need* ?

Bait on occasion, and to replentish the supply of tackle when needed.

I dont need the best of everything.. it saves a lot of money..

$3500 truck... paid for

$1500 boat(rigged like $4000 boat of same age) ... paid for.. old, but they get me there and catch fish the same as new.. without the payments

30+ rods and reels.. nothing generic, a couple spendy ones, most probably average around $110/combo... so $4000?

Tackle .. It looks like a bait shop around here.. $2000.. and I thinned it out last year, then a bunch was stolen right after.

4 wheeler and 3 wheeler.. one was 1/2 inherited and I payed off the balance... $6000 value

Motorhome(old) and popup camper modified to be ice house(hard walled).. inherited.. $3500 value

Misc gear for fishing.. easy $1000

I'm sure theres lots left out.. but for the most part, I am set besides restocking tackle on occasion, buying licenses, and getting these bait tanks going in my house.

A normal fishing outing financial requirement.. $10 bait, $5 gas(local fishing), $2 beverage... or, I can leave the house with $20 and come back with change.

Good day fishing... priceless ... the bad ones cost $20.

My biggest need was $2000 for my 2004 15hp motor to get my dad's old 14 foot Lund on the water. Then of course some basics.. $200 for Finder.. $200 for battery/trolling motor, $150 for 3 rod/reels.. $30 for tackle box.. maybe $200 for a collection of spinnerbaits, rapalas, hooks, plastics etc.. I just have a car.. and certainly don't need a truck for my small boat.. so I did have to fork over $200 for a trailor hitch. That's all! Not too bad actually.

Sometimes I get a little green at the huge SUV's and Triton 225hp boats I see in front of me at the launch... but of course... we don't need that stuff to have fun!

This is how I look at it UJ...

#1 I dont need a big house.

#2 I dont need to be Rich.

#3 I do need to be happy.

So, would I be as happy if I had the $20 walmart combo standing in tennis shoes from shore of the local lake? NO... would I be happy?, probably!... But I work my tail off, to afford the kind of things that make me happy. I have rod reel combos that may value about $350 maybe more maybe less, I dont think about it. Its worth every penny to me!

Many people go fishing to relax. To me fishing is not relaxing. If I fish an 8 hour day, I am dead tired at the end of the day. My relaxation is bow hunting. I go bowhunting to relax!

Deitz,

I couldn't have said it better myself!

My wife always says "everytime you make more money, you spend more money"

It's always on toys for fishing too.

What you say about an 8 hour day on the water is true.

I fish pretty seriously myself as well, and feel it is a source of pride and accomplishment.

Everyone has a "skill" and sometimes I think my only skill is Crappies. And I am not about to complain about that! smile.gif

What I need, Hummmm? Got a boat and afew goodies to go with

it...things that make fishing more of an enjoyment then a labor....but all that stuff can become a labor in itself, hummm?

Got plenty of tackle, don't use 3/4 of it....adequate rods and reels, nothing fancy, nothing expensive, all of them very capable....Hummm?

I've got a fishing licence and a wife that understands that I have to go fishing now and then and even comes with me once in awhile. Hummm?

Got half a dozen buddies that like to fish when they have the time....Hummm?

I've got fair eye sight, can still tie a hook on without my glasses, although I need them to read the lake maps. I'm in excellent health...Hummm?

Augers, fish houses, an ATV soon, hummm, what do I need? Oh, I think I know what I need...why did'nt I think of this before? It just dawned on me...I need golf lessons! Cheez, who would have guessed? Thanks for reminding me! grin.gif

Quote:

What do you need?

I need to retire so I can spend more time to enjoy the things I enjoy with the toys I have.

This working for a living is highly overrated. tongue.gif

I have all kinds of gear and I can't wait until my little kids are ready to go with me!! My oldest boy turned 3 on sunday and I bought him his first real fishing rod. A 4 1/2 foot ultralight. He was so excited! grin.gif

That's what I need!!

Fishing is what you do to enjoy yourself. Everything else you do, you do because you want to be able to go fishing.

I love the sport of fishing so much that I will share with you my list of haves and you can compare them to wants and needs.

1998 Lund Tyee 1850 Gran Sport

Lowrance x102c depth finder (bought last week)

Bottomline 1200 depth finder

2 Fenwick Techna AVG rods and equally expensive reels

2 St. Croix legend rods

2 fenwick HMGs

berkely lightening rod

couple baitcasters and couple more spincasters

FL-18 Vexilar and speed transducer for the Lund

Eskimo Lodge fish house

many ice rods and reels

tons of tackle

2004 Chevy 4x4 ext cab truck

2005 Polaris limited edition 500 HO

And the list goes on..........

Needless to say I pay Joe's sporting good's light bill monthly!

Quote:

Everyone has a "skill" and sometimes I think my only skill is Crappies. And I am not about to complain about that!
smile.gif

It's kind of ironic, but I had this same conversation with my wife a few days ago. My little sister does the casting for CSI Miami and a few other shows; my bro-in-law is a pro skateboarder, dad's a Dr., etc. So...my wife has to question what my skills are. Of course I answer "FISHING!" She says that don't count because I'll never make my million doing that. You know what, I don't care...I'll spend a million doing it and will be just as happy!! grin.gif

Angling, oh angling - How do I love thee - let me count the ways...

14' Alumibeater we traded for an old log-splitter

$450.00 10 horse on the back

We have two tow vehicles that we'd have even if I didn't have a boat

A dozen or so rods - $1500.00

A Vex - $250.00

Assorted terminal tackle & lures - $1000.00

Boat accessories; life vests, rod holders, anchors and lines - $250.00

Accessories and weather gear - $300.00

Ice stuff - $100.00

Watching my kids enjoy fishing, silence for all but an eagle's scream, discovery of someplace new....priceless. smirk.gif

If I didn't have all that stuff I "need" - I'd use a pop bottle with line wrapped around it and $3.00 worth of terminal tackle.

Nice thread.

I was showing my 7 year old daughter how to fish with a plastic pop bottle last summer, and at first she didn't believe that it could be done, but after i pulled in a couple of bluegill she couldn't wait to get a hold of the bottle!!

I have seen several people fishing riverbanks with a tin can wrapped with line hand lining if they got a bite. But I kinda thought it was done so they could flip it into the drink if the dnr came by so they wouldn't get ticketed. But for an honest angler man thats a cheap setup. I personally like a little graphite flex and a reel when Im out fishin' But I guess I invest enough time on the water to justify the monetary investment (though the wife sometimes doesn't get it).