• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trailer jack

bucketmouth64

Question

What do you use if you blow a tire on your trailer? I've seen one of those half moon jacks that you put under the axle and roll trailer forward. Do they work? Or do you use a hydraulic jack.

3 answers to this question

I have found that the jack that comes in most foriegn cars works well it is a little sissors jack that does not take up much space Hit a bone yard and they will sell you one cheap !!! Has worked great for me

The half moon jacks don't really work on the torsion style axles very well. There is little or nothing down there to set them on because of the way the spindles drop down. I've used them on standard straight style axles but they wouldnt be my first choice on a loaded trailer. Most, if not all vehicles now come with scissor type jacks that work fine for a trailer. If you wanna be extra prepared, throw in a block or two of 2x6 in the truck or car for a solid base. Go with safe!!!!

If you have a light boat you can try the scissor style, otherwise I always carry a good floor jack.

Main problem is getting your axle high enough to slide it underneath,

drive flat wheel over 1 or 2 2x6 to rais axle from ground a little, then put jack under axle.

Be carerful if you have a flat on busy highways/interstates, just the air blown from a passing semi at 70mph will move your rig a lot, and possibly off the scissor jack.

I personally rather drive flat tire until an exit ramp, most of the times they are shot anyway after a flat.