• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Basswood Lake - Wahsington Island Area

I am heading for the Washington Island area for the first weekend in June. My first hope is for Walleye but I would be happy catching just about anything. I can HARDLY WAIT!!!!!!

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,

Duckslayer

The eastern end of Basswood is clear water and can be a little difficult to fish for walleyes early in the year. Especially on clear days. Cloud cover is always preferred.

Look for the walleyes to be relating to shoreline and weeds in the bays. Minnows and leeches should work well this time of year. Spinners, jigs, and lindy rigs can all work well. Also, trolling floating rapalas over the developing weed beds can be very productive.

A tip for clear day walleyes is to use an electric trolling motor and cast to rocky shorelines in the bays with a plain hook and sinker tipped with a leech (islands and points in the bay are most productive). Work the bait slow. Most bites will just be a tick so when in doubt set the hook. This presentation is also very good for big smallmouth this time of year.

As for pike dead cisco's or smelt work best. Again fish in the bays focusing on islands and points. Using quick strike rigs either let the bait lay on the bottom or use a small float.

Good luck fishing!

David Swenson
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

Thanks Dave -

I can hardly wait!!!!

Duckslayer

P.S. - Great WEB sight you have there!

[This message has been edited by duckslayer (edited 05-18-2001).]

I've gone in to Basswood for a few years now during the first week of June. We usually fish the windward sides of the reef and the points with Lindy's w/ minnows to locate the walleyes. Then we see what else they will take. Over the course of a week most any of the popular colors work!