• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite Fly? And why?

CarpBoy

I tend to focus on one or two species at a time. For several years I nearly always had a chartruse/silver/white belly clouser minnow in a moderate size tied on my leader.

At the time I fished mostly smallies, walleye, northerns and crappies. This fly caught all of them and was great at working water at various depths.

Now, since I focus on carp, green sunfish and creek chubs, I nearly always have on a modified size 8-10 wooly bugger w/ bead chain eyes and different body/tail colors. Usually tan/gold speckled body, black tail, grizzly palmered hackle.

I am not against other flies, it just proves to be a catch all kind of fish and needs changing only when there is a hatch of interest going on or I get no action from the go-to fly. (picture posted in the 'any interest in carp on the fly' post)

What are your favorite flies and why?

Do you keep a go-to fly always tied on or does it depend on the conditions as you approach a stream or lake?

Tony

Hey Carpboy,

My past favorite fly was a prince nymph, but I've also historically only targetted trout. I'm probably going to venture out more over this summer to different species on the fly and see what I can get to move. Probably mainly bass, and maybe some pannies if the bass aren't biting.

I say that was my past favorite fly because now I look at conditions, and which fly I think is going to work that day.

How do you make your wooly buggers with the two toned bodies? Is it a weave similiar to making a Bitch Creek bugger?

Thanks for the help.

The Black Wet Fly for the simple fact that it catches trout period. It's a simple tie and can be fished as a nymph, dropper, swung at the end of the drift - anything. It's especially deadly in the summer months (and even now) and in ultra clear water conditions, which can often leave you scratching your head wondering what to use when the fish are spooky and finicky.

I tie lots of buggers and have added tan/black rubber legs to the fly, as well as using a fair share of polar chenille. It's very nice stuff if you haven't tied with it.

When I'm trout fishing, if there's nothing going on at streamside to indicate that I ought to fish a particular fly, I'm likely to have a bead head, soft hackle pheasant tail nymph on my tippet.

If I'm smallmouth fishing, I'm most likely to first try a woolly bugger-like thing that's been altered to presumably look more like a crayfish imitation.

It depends a lot on the time of the year, I guess, but up until now my favorite all-around fly has been an orange scud. Now it's time for the black wet as the "go-to" fly.

My favorite conditional use fly is a caddis dry. I love how trout just attack caddis, it makes my heart flutter every time... grin.gif

I’m with you on the caddis. If I haven’t witnessed a hatch I’ll sometimes still fling the caddis…you never know until you try. I’ve caught fish on caddis when there were no rise rings other than to intercept my dry.

In lakes (warmwater or cold) I like a simple dragonfly nymph with a wooly bugger. Clousers also work great for crappie/northern multi-species action.

Quote:

Hey Carpboy,

How do you make your wooly buggers with the two toned bodies? Is it a weave similiar to making a Bitch Creek bugger?

Thanks for the help.

I buy this stuff that is kind of like chenile that is brown/gold striped and when you wrap it on it makes spots or stripes. It isn't a true wooly bugger but it is close enough that if I claimed it to be an original design people would mock me. grin.gif

I used to tie it with a bend to keep the hook up for better hook-ups but I have stopped doing that and I still catch a ton of fish.

Tony

Thanks for the tips guys (I think it is all guys, should look before making such assumptions)

I like caddis fly and hopper flies as the top half of a hopper dropper combo and use it a lot for panfish and bass as well as the rare trout outing I have these days.

Who ever mentioned the wet black fly, do you have any pictures you could post of it? It sounds like a good carp fly.

Tony

the flies that seem to end up on my tippet the most would have to be a hare's ear nymph below and either an adams parachute or an elk hair caddis above (if conditions and hatches allow) i like the first two because of how versatile they are and like you guys stated previously, there is no more exciting way to start the trout season then with a caddis hatch.

Black over flo. green w/ silver flashabou clouser tied on a #10 sreamer hook. No trout here, just pannies. It has just caught a lot of fish and I like the way it fishes. Have caught sunnies, gills, crappie, and bass (unintentionally). Second would be a small popper. Just started fishing them this weekend, and man, is that fun. Can't wait until the water warms up a little more.

I like that color combo, I have never used black in my clouser minnows. I had to make a dark green/silver/white, very sparse tie last year to fool the pike in a small pond near my house.

Time for a trip to the fly shop for some supplies. Thanks for the tip.

Tony

For me it would definetely be a caddis larvae imitation. Dark greens, light greens, with some sort of segmented body with dubbing/furry foam etc, and a dark head. Size 14 and 16 are good all around sizes.

This is my goto fly if I want to at least catch something, but I usually find the biggest trout down deep and feeding on nymphs. Caddis are very common in most of our rivers and lakes, thats why I believe the EHC is a popular dry fly as well.