• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Woman Lake Fishing

We are fishing Woman Lake this weekend and were wondering what & where the best times & locations are to get WALLEYE.

Sounds like late evening is best.

I have had good luck on woman lake this time of year. Bungy bay is a good place to fish. The shoreline in front of the cabins. Fish the edge of the weedline. A shinner minnow on a lindy setup is best. Mid morning is a good time if there is some wind. I have had my best luck tying my own lindys. 6 ft snell on 6lb test. Green gamagatsu hook. cant believe i just gave away all my secrets. If you get into them u owe me a walleye dinner!! tongue.gif

WW,

Woman lake is a crystal clear lake. This early in the season I have always had my best luck from Sundown to 2 a.m.

Found the walleyes to be scattered on sat but found active fish were water temp was up a degree or two fish were shallow too much boat traffic spooked the fish caught fish from 12 to 24 inchs, shinners on lindys worked best fish 8 to 14 ft. Sunday fish were deeper bright sun. sum large northerns 26 to 32 inchs also jumbo perch in the mix one walleye was 26 inchs monday found fish shallow still scatterd male fish showed signs of not being vary long off of spawning water temps Mon. 50 to 51 deg.

Anyone that has ever fished Women will agree that it is ultra clear. We have had most of our luck at night as well. Shiners are key this early in the year. But don't be afraid to troll raps in shallow water after dark. Women has tons of structure the key is to not get stuck in one location and find the active fish. Good luck! I will be fishing her in june hopefully she will be good to us like last year.

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I'm going up there for the Memorial weekend and my dad will want to chase walleyes, and I'm a bass guy on bass opener! Some nerve eh? tongue.gif

So it sounds like shiners are working better than leeches. I guess I should get both just incase.

The water is ultra clear in the spring, but later in the summer it gets a greenish tint to it, but it is still clear.

Right now you can see all the rock piles on top of the shallow midlake structure, but come July/August, you can't.

I am by no means a Walleye expert, but have caught walleyes in some strange places and times on Woman Lake.

My personal best, a 29.5 incher came on a Bucktail while I was trying to find one of the few Muskies that roam that lake. I caught it around noon, on a calm sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. It hit my bucktail while I was casting over a rock pile in about 8 feet of water.

Go figure...

ebass, where ya goin to be stayin on woman? i will be stayin at my uncles resort pine ridge resort on girl and fishing woman for eyes and bass. maybe we can meet up sometime during the weekend and share reports and what not. drop me a email at [email protected] if interested.

iceman

E bass: Talk your dad into fishing walleyes during low light and go chase the pig smallies on the shallow rock during the day. You may like your bass opener yet.

I will be up there Memorial Day weekend as well. The shallow water markers are all in place. That is usually done pretty early on Woman Lake.

Of course the weather looks to be colder than normal for this time of year. What else is new?

ebass just watch for the pile heading from the northwest of horshoe island. should be great smallie fishing, got two on lindys walleye opener over 22".

I'm staying at my girlfriend's cabin in Hunter's Bay. My uncle has a cabin on Girl. I have a Army Green 14' Lowe Jon boat with 25H Merc.

I should be all set as far as tackle for bottom bouncers, lindy rigs, night bobbers, jigs, and raps for trolling.

I wouldn't mine meeting some FM'er and comparing notes. I don't know what the whole agenda is for the weekend, but I plan on fishing a lot if the weather is OK.

I like the smallies during the day and walters at night deal. I'll have to see who's gung ho to fish at night or at least the dusk bite on some rock pile.

I know Hunter's bay has a huge rocky point that I pulled a couple of small pike off of last year trolling around.

The smallies are usually still guarding their nests at this time of the year.

I will occasionally catch a couple (to be released of course), but I don't make a habit of it. There are so may resorters out on the lake, that if they see you catching a few Bass, they will be all over the area - and they typically don't let anything go when they do catch them.

It is very had to resist pitching a jig at a smallie on a spawning bed, there are some HUGE bass in that lake. I enjoy seeing them on their nests as much as catching them.

There are some studies out there that show that a percentage of smallies caught on their spawning beds do not return. There are so may Rusty Crawfish in the lake, that a bed of smallie eggs that are not being guarded do not stand a chance and will be devoured in no time at all.

The Smallies that are guarding the nests are extremely aggresive, more than likely due to the Rusty's in the lake.

I just keep looking at the Longville forecast and it makes me shake my head. I can't remember the last time I fished without having to bundle up. Very few days last year... even in July and August. I do a lot of night fishing and I wouldn't know what to do if the lows 'only' went down into the 50's.

Every single bass I catch is released - PERIOD.

I saw a citgo bassmaster where Kevin Van Dam said that there was a study on fishing bedding bass on Lake Champlain (spelling?) in the NE and most of the bass went right back to their beds. He said this as he ripped a largemouth off a bed and put it in the live well for the weigh-in, D'oh!

It will be cold and wet weekend for sure, but it beats being at work.

I was listening to KFAN Outdoors lastnight. It was all about the bass opener and they had some DNR MGR on, any ways, he said that yes fishing bedding bass could cause that bass not to spawn, but it only takes a couple pairs of bass to sucessfully spawn and that replenishs the lake. So the host ask if it's OK, and he said generally speaking yes.

But I hear ya, I wouldn't want to draw attention to have other people have a smallie sandwich for lunch.

I should be dipping my line right around sundown tonight. Hopefully I can get out of town sooner rather than later. Looking forward to it. Speaking of Smallies - I have run into some very large Smallies on Woman Lake while night fishing for walleyes. It seems as though I only see them on bright nights - full moons or near full moons.

Good luck, I just sent thajman an email and gave him my cell along with iceman16. I'll be up late tonight but won't be fishing until tomorrow. Hope to see you guys up there

schnauzer, where ya goin to be fishing tonight i will also be out there tonight cant deside if i wanna fish goverment point or the humps north of the airplane bar

i cant wait to get out there. we skipped opener out there this year cause of our canada trip later this week. havent fished the lake sence last opener. or maybe once in the fall after a morning duck hunt. its goin to be nice to talk to a couple of FMer's out there. will be out in a 16' alumacraft with a 30 merc 4 stroke mostly likely dressed in camo if any of ya see me out there stop by and say hi.

iceman

I am not exactly sure where I will be. I rotate through several spots and might be using bobbers, or the opposite - cranks. During opener, I found myself on turf I don't normally fish because I have a new mapping GPS and it was fun to just pull up and fish - instead of going to old standby spots that I had marked with my old GPS. I may visit Government point, but that would likely be later. Early on it may be humps with bobbers or flats/shallow with cranks. I guess I will have to see what 'moves' me. I will be in a black Lund with a couple yamaha's hanging off the back.

I'm a little bummed because it looks like cloud cover each night. Historically, I have done better with half moon or better light conditions with clear to partly cloudy sky. That is another reason why I don't know exactly what I am going to do. It will probably be better for the day time bite though.

I'm thinking shallow, but the water is so clear I don't know. Plus I'm not a walleye guy either. I hope to see you guys out there. Good luck!

Ebass thats my little secret for when i am in a hot spot no one can see me!! look for a empty boat. i made it up to woman just did alittle work around the resort about to clean up hit the bait store and then spend a wonderful night out on the lake. looks like it startin to clear up but the way up it would rain clear up then rain all the way from the cities. see ya out on the water!!!

iceman

So how did everyone do?

I will be up this weekend to try my luck on Woman Lake Friday night, then it is off to search for Muskie's elsewhere on Saturday and Sunday...

Overall things were pretty slow for me. We did scare up a couple bigger walleyes, including one during the daylight hours on a lindy rig. They were released. So that was nice but overall I struggled. I am seeing a lot more 11-12" walleyes than I usually do so it looks like a big year class might be coming up. During the opener, the first two nights were slow for me and then we did well on the last night. This time, it was slow all three evenings.

I did run into ebass out there. Nice to meet you and put a face with the name. smile.gif