• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FMers do the Door - Updates!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Best of luck guys and have a safe trip. Take lotsa pics.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lotalota

• OUTDOORNUT

• Tom Linderholm

• Quickstrike

Brian I need to get up your way and do some fishin. Late Aug or Sept would be great with me. I love Fall fishin.

You boys be safe and have fun. I think what Cheffrey meant in his post was dont do anything he WOULD DO! grin.gifblush.gif

Get lots of pics and Lota have a blast at the St.Croix shop.

Hey Steve,

The 'eyes start snapping again real good in Sept. that's when you should come up, I'm free then every other Tues-Thurs. Just let me know when you can make it up and let's do it. I can pull my pop up camper up to one of the campgrounds on Cutfoot and set it up for a few days even if needed.

Brian

Just got back from baily's harbor and I just want to thank Lota and everyone that was able to join us. Our boat did very well and it was a great time with awesome weather and fishing conditions. On friday we were on the water by 4 AM and we managed 11 fish by 9:30 got out that evening and landed 7 more. Sat was much tougher with only 8 fish for the day although we lost a couple pigs, with one fish running out over 500 ft of line on me before popping the hook out. Today the fishing was once again hot with us landing 12 fish in a couple hours before i took off. The highlight of the morning was succesfully landing a double, triple, and yes all madness broke when we landed all 4 fish we had on at 1 time. J plugs and flasher fly combos were the ticket working best on dipsys and the secret weapon rig. Once again thanks again to the guys who made this opportunity possible.

How about them Lake Mighigan Salmon!!!!

It was a great weekend on the water, we weren't having the best luck getting the fish hooked up on our flies (10%), but ended up bring a couple hundred pounds of Salmon home on our first ever run to that amazing fishery. Our best day was Friday putting 12 fish in the freezer with 9 going over 10 lbs. We ened up boatin three that tipped around the 20 lbs mark, so that was very cool. Pounders, Lead Core and SWR was the ticket. Riggers took their share, as did the dipsy's. It seemed that once you found active fish it didn't matter your lure, one day (Friday) we took at least one fish on every lure we had in the spread.

A big thanks to Lota for getting the ball rolling on this trip. Now that the Krinkle's Traing Wheels are off, we are already working on filling the bunker for next years war!

I should be caught up on sleep by then also!!! smile.gif

Nothing like grabing a rod and watching it peel off 200+ feet before you can even think about gaining on them!!

Sounds like you guys had a good trip. Its going to be hard for you to go back to fishin this pond smirk.gif. Any good storys to tell or how about some pics.

Sounds like a great time and I'll bet your leaving the best parts out. grin.gif

Lets see some(forum friendly) pics. wink.gif

I think lota will have a few pics when he gets back, but sadly i forgot my camera although i did get some pretty entertaining video of the trip including me blowing a net job on a HUGE fish that left everyone but me laughing. It's funny how we all talk about how great of a fishery they have out there (which is true) but it is kind of cool when you tell someone one there that you are from duluth, and they instantly refer to how good they heard thed laker fishing is and how unique of a fishery we have (which is also true) Anyways I can't wait to get back out there and do it all over again.

I have a weekend of chasing Mille Lacs walleys with 6 pictures left on my film. Should also be able to post some pics by early next week.

Quick, like they say "home is where the heart is" dosen't matter where we fish or how big of fish we catch else where. Us Lake Superior fishermen always return to her.

Nice Fish!

Just a reminder no meat board photos please.

What an excellent trip!!! At the very top I want to thank Jason (dubbed "RapalaMan" by OutdoorNut) and Kent for making the trip a memorable one. Both these guys are attentive to what's going on in the boat and both were a quick study in where to be when the fishing gets nuts (although I would REALLY like to see a clip of that patented Quickstrike net job). Thanks to OutdoorNut and Harpoon for hauling your rigs and putting guys on fish. Sounds like everybody had a great time. Anyway, my crew is safely back in town and recovering from the week away. Wrapping up the week with a family vacation helped recover from the 5 days in a row of 0300 wake up calls and 2400 bed times. Even considering the heavy eyelids, I'd be heavily in favor of "FMers do the Door" becoming an annual expedition! I'm working on getting some pics on the PC and then I'll post a few.

We couldn't have had a better combination of good crew and great weather to start the trip out. Once I got past the blown tranny in the 'Burb and got the Tahoe rolling everything was fantastic. Quickstrike and I arrived just as OutdoorNut was punching snooze on the alarm in Bailey's Harbor. Troops rallied and in the water we went. We had lines down before the sun started to show in the sky...perfect!!! I don't remember exactly what the body counts were but I DO remember that the SWR was killer and that we had a tough time getting the full core all the way out before it would get popped again. Top producers were the glow green LB J-Plug, blue glow Jewel, green glow NeedleNose, and white Pro-Troll with a glow/iris Carlson fly 22" back. Bailey's was very good to us on the morning runs and, if we'd have stuck with our game plan on the second evening, Gill's would have been just as hot at sunset (skittish captain...stupid, stupid, stupid). As it was, I believe that RapalaMan and Quickstrike left the Door with properly worn out forearms and a nice bruise on the waistline from reefing on the kings as they peeled off line. We had a great time on AND off the water and it made the trip a memorable one. I have officially renamed my full core rig "Kent's Core" since it seemed as though he always drew that rod on his turn. Start 'im out at 400' and watch the run go to 550'...now reel it in and feel the burn!!!

Sunday night and Monday AM were hot as the guys from Marine General traveled east and hopped on board to have a go at the kings. On Tuesday I even was kind enough to give the full core to my Mother-in-Law as a 24lb king went screaming the other way. I am, after all, her best (only) son-in-law. Heavy winds mid-week pulled cold water to the surface and scattered the fish around Bailey's. That, combined with the loss of 4 flasher/fly rigs, 3 dipsys and a few spoons, put the damper on things the last few days. We still managed 6 or so an outing but no more quads on the line...man was that a blast!!!

Thanks to the boys at Marine General for hooking me up with a full core rig and showing me the light on the SWR. Those two lines accounted for well over half the fish for the trip. Also need to thank the guys at Creative Touch Tackle for getting some dodgers done up last minute and JR Tackle for the fast delivery of the "gotta have" flies. And finally, BIG thanks to Rapala Man for bringing along the box full of new toys. We'll have plenty to play with this weekend on Superior!!!

Lota Lota...

Lota, A bunch of Lake Mic. rookies (me included) might be heading to Algoma this weekend. I could really use a crash course in salmon fishing over there. Are you going to be down in Superior at all before Sat? I've been trying to figure out this Secert weapon rig thing. I have never run lead core. Otherwise I'll be running pounders, downriggers, and dipsys. Like to pick your brain if you have time. thanks

Randy

We may be a Loon's Foot Wednesday night. Not sure about that though. Shoot me an email at (esoxesox at hotmail dot com) and we can figure something out.

Lota Lota...