• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys....2 of us are heading up to the BWCA the last week in May...we are hoping to catch some fish while we are there.
We are going into Lake One on May 28th and would love any information on catching any kind of fish...never been there, don't know what is available to catch...or how...or where.....Any information would be great....
I think spring is finally here!
birddog

Years ago, my wife and I camped on the north end of Lake One. Did not find the walleyes, but kept 3 HUGE bluegills in the lilly pads at the first portage into Lake Two. Those fillets were eunough for the both of us for dinner. That was the only time I spent on One. I have been to Three and Four about a dozen times over the years. Had the best luck in late May early June in Lake Three. We camped at the island just to the left of the channel between Two and Three and caught a lot of walleyes off of the east end of the island. we started fishing at 7PM and quit around midnight. Every night we were there it was the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Rob

birddog-

Don't waste your time in Lake One, work
a little more and go to lake three and/or
lake 4, it will be worth it. In lake 3 and 4
you might see Moose. I believe the fishing is
better also. I grew up going through those
lakes into Hudson & Insula. I would suggest
using jigs with live bait, slip bobbers, and
crankbaits.

Great info...so far....we are willling to do some traveling and willing to work....the number one thing we are after is just getting away and enjoying the critters and scenery....fishing is a bonus
We are going in for a week and plan to go a ways in....
Any word on Clearwater lake which by the map looks w/sw of Lake 3?
If you have any advice...or info...I am listening and appreciative.
Thanks

If you go into clearwater, drag jointed rapalas behind a 4 foot leader and a 5/8 bead chain keel sinker as you go around the rockier shorelines. Vary your lengths from shore until you find the depth for fish. Have fun.
Finn

Great, still looking for more advice! Anyone know a website to find the kinds of fish in the different lakes?
Looking at the lone campsite on Rifle? Also think we are going to try clearwater....any others?

Check out the Lake Finder feature in the DNR's website. You can access types of fish caught in test nets and traps, how a particular lake stacks up against others, and even depth maps.
Years ago some of the resorts had boats stored on Clearwater, and apparently the walleye fishing was fairly good. The earlier suggestions are all worthy - but I would add that if you are serious about being effective, bring depth maps and a depth finder - and don't be afraid to experiment a bit. Caught a heck of a bunch of walleyes up on Insula one day totally by accident - hot and windy day in late July, and we drifted into the shallows (real rocky bar extending off a small island). Looking down, I saw all kinds of white "dots" around the rocks - turned out to be the white tips on the walleyes tails. We backed off, anchored, and cast floating Rapalas into the rocks (less than 4 feet of water). Caught fish til our arms got tired.
Rapalas, jigs, a few Beetle Spins, and plenty of live bait rigs. A few bobbers never hurt.

We enter Lake One next week 5/17/2001. Planning to fish Lake 3 and 4 and also try Clearwater then Bald Eagle. We fish walleye and smalleees. I will drop you a note about our luck when we return. This is my first time in, I can not wait. Have a great time on your trip. Dave

Lake One through Four is not so well known for its walleyes but it has some monster northern pike in the early season.

Our customers have been using the heavy sucker bait and doing well so far. Some people have been using dead (frozen) ciscos also. Try some trolling, that works well too. Lakes 3 & 4 are more known for better fishing than 1 & 2.

The southern side of Lake Three has a couple nice walleye holes near the smaller islands and also some nice panfish.

Clearwater is primarily northerns and Pietro is walleye and smallies.

Lynn

------------------
John and Lynn O'Kane
Voyageur North Outfitters
Ely, Mn 55731
1-800-848-5530

Thank you all for the advice....only 1 week before we leave...any other advice? Has anyone ever tried for lakers along any of the routes we could take....We are still playing it be ear as far as where we are going from lake 3.
Smallies, walleyes and pike......beware!
Are there any guides that go into these lakes?

I'm going to actually be on Poplar Lake over the weekend of Memorial day. Any advice for this lake? I'd like to go after some Walleye, large Pike, and some Bass. I will only have access to dock fishing and a canoe though. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

------------------
T-BONE
Saltwater Fisherman Trying to Figure out MN Fishing.

No lake trout in Lakes One through Three. Not unless you go quite a bit farther to the east.

The hot picks for fishing lately are rainbow chubs for walleye and smallies. Some people have been using leeches with success, maybe because of the high water and warm temps. Northerns are biting on just about anything but seem to do very well lately on pike suckers and Rapalas.

Remember to stop in when you come up for your trip next week!

------------------
John and Lynn O'Kane
Voyageur North Outfitters
Ely, Mn 55731
1-800-848-5530

FLFisher,
If only all pike we caught were large pike!! Your frustrations is understandable. Unfortunately, Poplar does not hold much of a walleye population. However, they do have some nice pike. Try using rainbow trout replica lures. Also, a sucker underneath a minnow can also mean fun dock fishing and is usually successful.

Keep in mind, this lake has a nice lake trout population. Check with the local tackle shops for up to date information.

Seabass77

Our party just came in off Lake One, Lake Two, back to Lake One, then down the river onto Garbro, then south along the River out of the BWCA. The wind and storms took us off the lakes. The portages are very wet as it rained very heavy the last 2 days in this area. Only the small pikes were hitting. Best luck on Power grubs with yellow and orange. No luck at all on leeches. We fished very hard to get very few. While fishing the rocks and trees in the water catch your bait and the wind was strong, very hard to hold the canoe. It was an awsome trip. The bugs are really coming out due to the rain. Garbro was very windy, very hard to get into from the river route. If you have any questions send an email to [email protected]. I'll be glad to pass on any tips. By the way, I did have wood ticks on me, and the noseeems are just starting (my arms still iche like crazy), along with the first MayFly hatch. Have a safe trip. Dave

Hello everyone! Sorry about not posting in a while here; been busy working and catching fish.

Lake One you say....I personally wouldn't waste my time with Lake 1 through 4. BUT; if that is all you are going to be in for the fishing; try lake 3. Towards the bottom of that lake there are many islands where walleyes tend to hang out quite frequently. Minnows are the hot bait for this time of year; although I have heard of a few people using leeches and catching fish.

My advise would be to go push into the BWCA further and go to Lake Insula. The lake of many islands. GREAT fishing is only to be had in Insula.

If you need any more information about this area; feel free to e-mail me.

[email protected]

Been to Lake 1 Lodge for past 5 years.. twot years ago we caught four 5lb largemouths on lake 1. We are heading out to lake 3 and 4 this year.

Do we need to 'reserve' spots for camping in the BWCA well in advance or can we get our permits when we arrive...