• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NEW I-16 REGULATION

TO ALL F.M. READERS,

I WAS JUST AT A MEETING DISCUSSING THE NEW 1-16 REGULATION. AT THIS MEETING(VISITORS CONVENTION BUREAU)

OUR DIRECTOR IS WRITTING A LETTER TO THE FEDERAL GOVERMENT ABOUT THIS REG., WHICH ACTUALLY IS NOT A NEW LAW, IT HAS BEEN A LAW FOR 12 YEARS, BUT NEVER BEEN ENFORCED.

THE PERMIT CAN BE OBTAINED AT THE CUSTOMS OFFICE. THE COST IS 16.00-32.00 FOR A COUPLE, THEY FINGER PRINT YOU, TAKE YOUR PICTURE, ETC. IT TAKES ABOUT 25 MINUTES.

WE AS A GROUP DIDN'T THINK MUCH OF THE REGULATION, THERE ARE SO MANY VAUGE AREAS. HERE IS HOW IT WORKS, LETS SAY YOU GO BY WATER FISHING IN CANADA, WHEN YOU RETURN, YOU HAVE TO CALL IN TO OUR CUSTOMS OFFICE AND CHECK BACK INTO YOUR OWN COUNTRY. CAN YOU IMAGINE IF 100 PEOPLE TRIED TO CALL IN AT THE SAME TIME, YOU COULD TRY TO GET THRU FOR A HOUR. WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING THE U.S./CANADA LINE & CROSS A LITTLE ON THE CANADIAN SIDE, DO YOU HAVE TO CALL IN. WHAT IF YOUR CAMPING IN A REMOTE AREA, AND FISH CANADIAN WATER, HOW DO YOU CALL IN WITH NO CELL PHONE SERVICE. TO SAY THE LEAST, THE SYSTEM HAS MAJOR FLAWS., SO THERE WILL BE MANY GROUPS, PRIVATE CITIZENS, ETC. WHO WILL TRY AND GET THIS LAW, DROPPED.

HOPE THIS HELPS TO ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

Thanks for the info on reg. 1-16, I agree, too many unanswered questions.

I am heading up this Friday to fish the Bear's Pass Bridge area, can you tell me:

1. how long a wait at the border around 1-2 pm?

2. we are very interested in crappies, how do you fish them this time of year?

Thanks for running the web for Rainy.....

Waypoint

HI WAYPOINT,

WELCOME TO THE RAINY SITE OF FISHING MN.!!! NORMALLY, THE TRAFFIC ACROSS THE BORDER DOESN'T HEAT UP UNTIL THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND, SO I'M GUESSING IT SHOULDN'T BE TO BAD., AS FAR AS THE I-16 PAPER, YOU DO NOT NEED IT IF YOU ARE CROSSING THE BORDER BY VEHICLE. IT IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO GOING BY BOAT, FISHING THE CANADIAN SIDE, THEN RETURNING BY WATER TO U.S. WATER. AS FAR AS CRAPPIES, GUESS WHAT, YOU SHOULD HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NOSE. TRY THE SHALLOWS IN RICE BAY, BLACK STURGEON, GRASSY, SPAWN INLET., AND YOU SHOULD DO VERY WELL.

GOOD LUCK, BE SAFE,

AND HAVE FUN!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

Thanks for the information....do you want a report of our week on Rainy?

HI WAYPOINT,

ALWAYS FUN TO HEAR GOOD HONEST INFO...THANKS,

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

HI F.M.ERS.,

SHOULD SAY 1-68 REG/NOT I-16.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

I just got my papers on Friday and it is quite a process. Photo, finger print the whole nine yards. I asked if once you have this if the next year you can get it via mail or apply online, no dice. Each year you have to do the full deal again. My problem is when you cross over into Canada a cell signal is not a sure thing, then you get stuck paying international rates for a call generating in Canada.

If they just dropped the call that would be a good start, I believe they said the fine for not having the document was 5k, I don't like this but I am not paying that!

Side not we cought about 40 pike in the shallow bays over Fri Sat, 20 in the us and 20 in Canada, 2 20 pounders, lots of fun.

Dasfooter

I went over yesterday to get my RABC. Coming back to US customs fully expecting to pay for the new I-60whatever. The US customs agent told me as long as I call in from a OARS station like the one at Bowman Landing I would not need a I-68. I should of got his name incase it becomes an issue later. But for now I will not be buying one.

Where can a guy find out specifics from a government website on the I-68? I'd like to see it layed out in writing. What about these call in locations, where are they at?

ccarlson

Is this different than the RABC? or is this something I didn't know about and need to take care of? HTB

HI H.B.,

THE I-68 IS OBTAINED AT THE U.S. CUSTOMS & IS REQUIRED WHEN RETURNING BACK BY WATER FROM CANADIAN WATER., THE RBC PERMIT IS OBTAINED AT IMMIGRATION, IN THE CANADIAN CUSTOMS BUILDING.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER