• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vadnais Lakes

Not lookin for spots, just comments in general of the lakes. These lakes are pretty much in my back yard. Was thinkin of headin out there this week since my dad has my boat this week. I have seen the DNR stats on the two lakes, but was just seeing if I could get some comments to back up what was shown in their nets.

Thanks Guys,

TommyK

Tommy... fishing is slow on Vadnais right now. It's a part of chain of lakes run by the City of St. Paul that includes I think Sucker and Snail lake.

These lakes receive heavy pressure but the nice thing is no watercraft is legal for use on these lakes. You can't even wade in them. And certain areas are off limits.

Vadnais seems very clean & clear and looks like there is no run offs. Rocky to sandy shores lines and good dept. Problem is you can't see a fish anywhere in sight. Low populations of panfish, crappies, walleyes, pike. The lake is very spotty and fish hold up only in certain areas. Funny thing is the DNR show reports of a small white bass population. Obviously stock by other people.

Until the weather warms up you won't see much action on Vadnais. Try the smaller lakes around it. Snail & Sucker lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out there last night and caught a couple eyes. both eaters 16" and 17" and saw another guy catch another eye... 18inches... pretty slow but if you wanna burn some time it's a nice place just to relax...

When I was younger I used to fish the illegal spots of east Vadnais and it was some of the best fishing anyone could ever imagine. I used to actually fish right off the pump house, and it was very common to catch 6lb bass and 8lb walleyes. It's like 20 feet deep right off the buildings and it was unbelievable. In a couple of hours we'd easily catch 50-100 fish, including small mouths.

I also used fish where sucker creek comes ii, it's not as risky there and there isn't as many fish, but it is still good.

Vadnais is also connected to Pleasant and Charlie in Northoaks which has the best fishing known to man. THere are a ton of everything including muskies, and state record white bass.

A friend of mine lives up by Pleasant, she hasn't gone fishing there, is there public lake access or is it limited because it is attached to Vadnais. Is there a Pier ?

Pleasant is closed to all fishing. I guess thats why it is so good.

I did make it out last weekend. Friday caught 1 bass, Saturday caught 3 walleyes (15",18",19") and a pike. Sunday only caught one bass. Not real fast action, but was nice to hop in the car head down the road and catch some nice eyes.

The action has picked up on Vadnais. I too have caught a few eyes jigging & throwing crank baits. I ran into a school of Crappies, and they were slabs! Yeap you heard me right.. they were slabs. After about 30min the Craps moved on and stopped biting.

Other than that the fishing is still slow...

And about Pleasant don't even get me started... I have never fished pleasant and probably will never get to. But from some anonymous info I have received that Pleasant holds record size Walleyes, Bass, Pike, Muskie, White Bass and Crappies. Someone even reported catching 12lbs+ Eyes and said they were common.

Will this lake ever be opened to the public again??? I think not...

Nope- either the City of St. Paul, or Ramsey Co., uses Pleasant as a drinking water source for the surrounding area. We can dream though, right? 8-Ball.

Many years ago the crappies were spawning on the rocks at the north end of pump road. I'd head out there after work and fish until they kicked us out. I never caught very many but the ones I did catch were slabs. (14 to 17 inchers) shocked.gif To date the biggest crappies I've ever caught. I went out there every spring for a number of years after, but never caught another one.

How are you guys rigging for them eyes? I'm assuming your using minnows?

Metro,

I was throwing nothing but size 08 shallow shad raps in perch pattern. Buddy of mine was using shiners, but nothing. This was a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't much for weeds yet, might be a different story now.

Did you hit those crappies from the east or west lake. I have heard some people get big crappies from the shallow west lake if there hasn't been a winterkill in a while.

fisherman-andy, what were you using for them slabs... I caught one nice slab a couple weeks ago on a minnow... there's also nice sunnies in that lake if you can find them... caught about six 9"-11" about a week ago...

Im not sure how much money I'd give to fish pleasant from a real boat but whatever the price it would be worth it.

I actually had a rod taken away from me by the cops there once.

• 2 months later...

When I was a little kid we snuck into Pleasant and fished. It was on of the best time of my life. I caught smallies that were in the 4-5 lb range, white bass that were in the 2-3 lbs were common. And the northerns and muskies that we caught were in the 30+ inch ranges. Every fish that we caught was BIG.I never caught so many fish in my life. Every lure that I casted out produced a fish. My friends father is a DNR researcher and he told me that the DNR does a lot of stocking and research in that lake. That is the reason why it is closed for fishing.

• 2 months later...

Have the weeds started to thin out yet? Is it even a possibility to get a crank through them? I was tinkin some full moon walleye action!

hey it's me... the guy that caught the 30" walleye. Haven't been there for the longest. Hope everyone's doing good. Just want to say Hi to all Vadnais heights peeps out there that's on here. Rod keep catchin those Norts and Doug keep them walleyes in check and Danny grab them brewskis... see yall soon.... Happy fishing!!!

• 3 months later...

Quote:

When I was a little kid we snuck into Pleasant and fished. It was on of the best time of my life. I caught smallies that were in the 4-5 lb range, white bass that were in the 2-3 lbs were common. And the northerns and muskies that we caught were in the 30+ inch ranges. Every fish that we caught was BIG.I never caught so many fish in my life. Every lure that I casted out produced a fish. My friends father is a DNR researcher and he told me that the DNR does a lot of stocking and research in that lake. That is the reason why it is closed for fishing.

Ummm no, that is not the reason why it is closed for fishing... A long time ago, maybe a hundred years or so, a rich guy owned NOrth Oaks, including the lake, before he passed awaY, he made some kind of will, and gave all of his land including Pleasant lake to the state... But under some conditions, Pleasant lake can never ever be fished, and the land, which is now NOrth Oaks, be made into a town for the rich... In which it is now, a city for the rich.....

This is the reason why the lake is closed.... I worked for the Dnr a while ago, Fisheries department, and we did do a lot of lake surveys of that lake, and thus, i know the history of it...

• 2 months later...

Vadnais just opened today 4-12-06. The Crappie action should heat up fast this week and for the next few of weeks. Then nothing. If you want to hit them SLABS then you better make it out there soon. Sucker Lake has been putting out SLABS also but is super crowded fishing. All thanks to Pleasant.

It's amazing how good a fishery can become when fishermen aren't allowed to harvest. Gee, you think there might be a connection?

Quote:

Vadnais just opened today 4-12-06. The Crappie action should heat up fast this week and for the next few of weeks. Then nothing. If you want to hit them SLABS then you better make it out there soon. Sucker Lake has been putting out SLABS also but is super crowded fishing. All thanks to Pleasant.

hmm... Is the fishing on Lake Vadnais really that great for crappies? I visit that lake often and observe the fishing there... I hardly ever see anybody catch that many crappies from there... Even around this time of year....

Quote:

hmm... Is the fishing on Lake Vadnais really that great for crappies? I visit that lake often and observe the fishing there... I hardly ever see anybody catch that many crappies from there... Even around this time of year....

Ha..ha.. you be surprise. Maybe it's because you only observe instead of fish???

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been out recently? I fished it fri (4/21) for a few hours between classes for the first time since I was about 6. I got a few pike fishing small plastics for crappie. Tried a bunch of different spots but noticed quite the crowd at the end of the road towards evening but didnt see a fish caught. Was it just the cooler weather keeping them out? Have people been getting fish there or is it just the 'community hole'?

Vadnais lake is not known for being a good shore fishing spot for crappies... You will have better luck at lakes like Gervais and Phalen....... Dont believe this crappie hype there..... However, Vadnais is known to be a good pike and walleye fisherie from shore though...

Quote:

Vadnais lake is not known for being a good shore fishing spot for crappies... You will have better luck at lakes like Gervais and Phalen....... Dont believe this crappie hype there..... However, Vadnais is known to be a good pike and walleye fisherie from shore though...

WRONG! Not to be rude but people who say so obviously don't know the lake as well as they think. Vadnais can put out slabs consistently. Gervais & Phalen holds mostly small pannies. You just have to know where to find them. It receives alot of fishing pressure but most anglers that fish Vadnais don't catch anything thus acknowledging your remark. Morning and evening is best for Vadnais Crappies.

Vadnais is a trickly lake to fish and your average angler will do below average fishing at best. Get to know the lake and you will find it's little secrets.

Fished it again a few days ago with somewhat better results. I ended up with a few little crappies, some sunnies and a nice fat bass about 17".

Quote:

Quote:

WRONG! Not to be rude but people who say so obviously don't know the lake as well as they think. Vadnais can put out slabs consistently. Gervais & Phalen holds mostly small pannies. You just have to know where to find them. It receives alot of fishing pressure but most anglers that fish Vadnais don't catch anything thus acknowledging your remark. Morning and evening is best for Vadnais Crappies.

Vadnais is a trickly lake to fish and your average angler will do below average fishing at best. Get to know the lake and you will find it's little secrets.

Gervais and Phalen holding only mostly small pannies?? LOL... I really do question whether or not you know what you are talking about here LOl... Anyways, if most anglers dont catch many crappies consistently at Vadnais, this would imply that it isnt a good lake to fish for crappies.... ENd of STORY!

You claim you catch many big crappies there consistently, well then, I claim i catch sea sharks there as well consistently... LOl.. Early morning and evenings are the best for sharks there... Get to know the lake, and you will know the little secrets on how to catch sharks there consistently LOL... Tip: cloudy and humid days are the best for sharks there! LOL!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gervais and Phalen holding only mostly small pannies?? LOL... I really do question whether or not you know what you are talking about here LOl... Anyways, if most anglers dont catch many crappies consistently at Vadnais, this would imply that it isnt a good lake to fish for crappies.... ENd of STORY!

You claim you catch many big crappies there consistently, well then, I claim i catch sea sharks there as well consistently... LOl.. Early morning and evenings are the best for sharks there... Get to know the lake, and you will know the little secrets on how to catch sharks there consistently LOL... Tip: cloudy and humid days are the best for sharks there! LOL!

Bwah hah ha... Don't make me laugh. Most Crappies that come out of Phalen and Gervais are usually 4-8 inches at best. You might get an occasional 11-14 inch mix in but hardly. End of your story. Your comment on sea sharks was totally lame and in no relation maybe due to inexperience.

Vadnais is feed from several chain of lakes including Pleasant through channels, the sole king of lakes for trophy fish. It is the furthest down. Wonders why Sucker Lake puts out slabs year after year in the early spring?

I am not going to go into details on Vadnais for fisherman who aren't willing to do their own homework except criticizing on how come they aren't catching any. Vadnais has a long history of putting out large crappies and im sure there are anglers on this forum who agree with me. It may not be as good as it use to be but it still does & can put out slabs year after year. You just have to work harder to find them. This means spending alot of hours on the water. Alot, get used to getting skunked, not everyone catches fish.

Summer is not a good time for Vadnais if your targeting Crappies. Early Spring, and Fall as usual are best. Skip the afternoon bites and concentrate on sunrise and sunset. Crappie jigs & minnows are best. Using a correct bobbering technique can be helpful.

Good fishing everyone...

Quote:

Fished it again a few days ago with somewhat better results. I ended up with a few little crappies, some sunnies and a nice fat bass about 17".

If you continue to fish Vadnais alot, you will notice a mix bag of fish but on a unconsistent bite. I have caught a White Bass out if it. Remember to fish both sides of Vadnais lakes. To discourage smaller fish, try slightly larger jigs. Rain days can still produce fish. If a spot doesn't produce fish, come back to it later, this will allow you to explore and cover more area.

Have fun fishing..