• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spider/Fire line vs. Mono

Just wondering if any else out there has the same problems I do with this new type of line? First I know it doesn't cast as far! Secondly about every 3-4 casts the line gets tangled with the lures hooks. Lastly if it gets tangled it is very difficult to get untangled. Maybe because it was so cold last weekend this tangling issue seemed to bug me the most.

Just one persons opinion!!!

Drives me nutty too, but I keep going back 'cause you can feel EVERYTHING that's going on at the other end. Slip bobber rigs are THE WORST with this stuff! Jigging and lure trolling are where it really makes me happy.

Try some other braids. I use Power Pro mostly but have spooled up some Stren to test out this summer. No problems with the Power Pro tangling and I can cast it just as far as I need to.

I use 8lb fireline for all my rods.. never tangles (expect yes.. slip bobber).. casts like silk to me..? Of course we are talking summer fishing with large spinners, rapalas, and plastics for bass you name it.. but yeah.. early season pans etc.. I do switch one rod to mono.

I've gotten so used to the zero stretch feel that I can't really find any sort of touch with mono - even the low stretch stuff. Maybe I need advice on a mono that transmits 'feel' like the Fireline. Is there such a line? I can't imagine fishing 30' deep with an 1/8 oz. jig on mono. Another thing I've noticed - with the Fireline I have to set the drag extra light so the hooks don't straighten on bigger fish, and I have to cut the line back a few feet every so often to get rid of this wierd frayed look. It doesn't seem to weaken but it bugs me.

Switched 6 walleye rods over to Power Pro at the recommendation of a sporting goods shop owner in Victoria who is a friend of mine. Mainly because of its shape and the coating the line has on it. I am sold on it. I think it beats the rest of them hands down. It is easier on the guides and casts great. I use the 20 pound power pro on my rods that I cast and troll cranks with and the 15 pound power pro on the rods that I jig and pull lindy's with. As for the slip bobber's, I feel mono is still the only line that works. On my two panfish rods I am running 4 lb vanish fluorocarbon. Also, on my walleye setups. I like to run about a 4-5 foot leader of 8 lb vanish fluorocarbon. I don't like the braided lines running all the way down to my bait. Don't like the risk of the fish seeing that line attached to my lure. The downside to this is loosing lures to the northerns. Small price to pay to catch walleyes. Just my opinion, I don't like telling other people what to do. I don't know if you read the walleye insider, but I have adapted a lot of my techniques over the last couple few seasons and I feel that I have gone from an average walleye fisherman to a point where I am on my way for being a contender with some of the guys I have been reading about in this forum. Good luck on the line issues. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you switch over to power pro.

Thanks for the feed back. I have never seen the "Power Pro" yet, but may have to check it out. As for the feeling they say comes with the braided line, well last weekend the bite was slow(1 eye and 3 northerns), so I am still waiting to truely feel it. I also may have to read the Walleye Insider...

Pikeguy is dead on. I use either Pline flouro or Vanish for panfish. Flourocarbon is very low stretch with plenty of "feel". Just need to stretch it a bit when new to keep it from spooling off the reel. I use flourocarbon leaders with Power Pro. 17lb test is my preference - helps with the northern biteoffs and it's still very hard for fish to detect.

Yea dude if you havent used power pro you don't know what your missing. If you wanna see the difference. You rig 2 reels, 1 with mono or whatever and the other with power pro. Make a couple casts with each and you know what im talking about. I had no idea there was THAT much stretch. Also remember to use backing when using this stuff. I use the rubberbands that they use to hold broccli together at the grocery store. Cut it just enuf for it to circle that thing once.

Mark, thanks for the tip on the northern bite offs. I didn't think I could get away with using that heavy duty of a fluorocarbon leader on the walleye rigs. I am going to give it a shot. Maybe I won't lose as many northland mimic minnows this year! I am going to give that a try, Thanks again!

I know 17lb works in moderately clear water like Tonka. I go to 14lb for clear water (FYI I also use 17 lb for my spinner rigs). Wonder if we could go up to 30 lb?? Salt water guys use heavier test as leaders and their water is really clear. Hard to test this on Tonka. Need a lake with lots of biters to do a side by side test. Hmmm sounds like a reason to head up to Kab or Rainy.

Mark, I took your advice and bumped up my fluorocarbon leader, and I had a buddy of mine that was with me do the same. Luckily for my buddy it really paid off, with a beautiful 28 inch walleye. I tried talking him into putting it back, and getting a graphite replica made, but his personal choice was to take it to the taxidermist. As for myself I only had one hit, and I landed a nice 15 inch eater. Thanks again, Pikeguy.

Congrats. And while I would CPR the 28" fish and go the replica route I can understand your friend's position. Helps that Minnetonka has little natural reproduction but on the other hand that fish could grow and be caught by someone else. Tonka Boy and I caught quite a few 28 and 29" eyes last fall but we didn't get over 30". I am thinking it is a year class issue not a growth limit and if we release these fish Minnetonka will be putting out some 14 to 15lb eyes very soon. Thanks for posting. You are helping the rest of us survive this messed up period. I am still getting shut out but that will change tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

if you want the next best thing from power pro try the stren super braid, it is a little cheaper but not much but it seems to be a great line. I have the same problems with fireline as well.

I use Power Pro. It's more expensive then most if not all, but I like it because it's lighter. I don't find casting distance a problem for me. From my experience, the line will get tangled during a cast if the line is spooled loosely on your reel. So just keep an eye on your reel before you cast. If it's loose, fix it before casting.