• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I thought i'd share in my weekend misery's with you all. Saturday I talked myself into going out (being it was opening day and all).

I was unloading my boat at the river and didn't get it pushed all the way off my trailer so I stood on the tongue and tried to push it off. Well I fell into the water. And I don't mean I slipped off the tongue and stepped into the river. I fell flat on my back into the water. Good thing I was wearing my new rain gear and that I have cat like reflexes I was able to stand up fast enough to only get the bottom of my shirt wet and soak my feet. Well that was miserable. So I fished and managed two northerns in two hours. I loaded the boat and soaked my feet and shoes again doing that, pulled the plug and drove home. While I was backing the boat in the driveway I hit my fiancee's car and dented it in pretty good.

Then I decided to go out on sunday (thinking new day, new luck). Got to the bait shop and after bringing everything up to the counter and asking for minnows I realized I forgot my wallet at home. Drove back the 15 minutes to get that. Went to bowstring for the first time of my life and that was interesting to find. The hot spots fishing map has the wrong labeling of the roads for the south side landing and I got all turned around and confused. So I finally found the landing. This time I brought my chest waders (good thinking huh?) well put those on and unloaded the boat, guess what? My chest waders have a hole in one of the legs and my right foot got wet. Thank god my shoes were dry.

So I finally found a spot to park the truck and trailer, got back to the boat that was docked and thought to myself (I said, self....there's alot of water in the boat.) So I decided now would be a good time to put the plug back in the boat. Then I decided I would try running the boat wide open on the lake then pull the plug to drain the water. I've never done it but have seen other people do it so I knew it would work. So I did that. It took forever for my boat to plane being there was so much weight in the back end. I won't even explain how I managed to get the plug back in with the boat now running full speed(only 21mph, but with a big guy like me in a little boat), trust me I probably should be dead.

So I finally get home sunday night and i'm exhausted but releaved that I have lived so far. Like they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Then I had taken Monday off like I usually do for opening weekend but my daycare fell through for monday and had some work to do so i worked instead and had to tell my neighbor that we couldn't go out fishing like we had planned. Beauitful day and didn't fish, to make matters worse for all my troubles this weekend, last night at about 7 my neighbor came over to my house holding a 22 1/2" walleye he caught behind his house. We live on the Mississippi here in Grand Rapids so I can fish down there anytime. After all that crap that happened to me this weekend I shoud have just stayed in my own back yard.

Well that's how it's been for me lately. A good run of bad luck. I certainly things turn around soon, or there might be a boat and equipment up for sale soon. I'll sell it all cheap.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Gary

GJ- its all good. Everyone out there has bad days on the water, off it too! Like my Dad used to say.. remember: a bad day fishing beats a good day working! 8-Ball.

Maybe with all the bad luck you had on opener the rest of the summer will be a breeze.Happy Fishing.

That story really had me laughing. "Cat like reflexes"... too funny.

That boat plug story is probably not unfamiliar to most people. I know I have a couple memorable experiences of trying to drain the boat on the fly too.

we all forget things. I was driving up to Min. ( I live in Indiana) It rained all the way through Ill. and most of Wis. When I got to Duluth,( fuel stop ) I walked around the boat only to find about 12"s of water. Left the plug in. Also have put the boat in the water without taking the tie straps off the back. We all have bad days. But it is funny to look back at them. grin.gif

I've had a few escapades like that, but, one always stands out..We drove all day to get up north and I’m all excited to get the boat in the water. As my father in law is backing the boat down the ramp, I’m in the boat getting it organized. As the boat is being bump off the trailer I realize that I left the boat keys back home. As I’m helplessly drifting away from the pier I discover that we have no paddle either. I had to tie a rope to the boat and jump in the water and swim back to dock in order to get the boat back, which is now about fifty feet away from the pier. D’oh.

I laugh everytime I think of it.