• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carver County Lakes

As a fairly new resident of Carver County, I am looking for some info on the Carver lakes. I have a Twin Cities Metro fishing guide that served me well when living in Anoka County, but the book is 12 years old. I have been on most of the lakes in the county, but not fishing. Any tips?

Wow!! another voice heard from the city of Cologne. There must be about 8 or 9 of us from Cologne that frequent this site. Welcome aboard. What species were you after and maybe I can help?

Welcome to Cologne.

P.S. Be careful how much info you believe from WalleyeNutz--the boat is still out on whether or not he knows what he's doing with anything other than them silly walleyes.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Welcome Glockwinger....nice to know that Cologne attracts yet another fisherman. And listen to the valuable advice concerning walleyenutz, and the information he gives. Often times, nutz is all bark and no bite(s), literally, like when he's on the lake. Anyway, post again and lets try to set up a small neighbor get together where we can all share some fishing stories.

Hey Glockwinger!!

Welcome to Cologne and Fishing Minnesota!!!

As it was mentioned earlier, there's a bunch of us Colognites her on the forum. Glad to see another one has joined the ranks! grin.gif To help us narrow the search, what are ya looking to fish for?

A neighborhood get together sounds like a great idea!! AND... I'd bet the ranch the turnout would be better than the last one at Waconia... LOL!!!

And as far as the rumors about Nutz... Can not confirm. However, if he knows his "eyes"... He's okay in my book.

Tonka is my lake of choice, but if you are looking for something smaller here are a few you might like:

Stieger Lake in Victoria-all northerns and bass must go back, but there are alot of them. Very fun to fish on weekend days for bass when the jet-skis are pounding tonka.

Wasserman Parley are also supposed to be decent, but I have not had a chance to try them yet.

Good luck.

There are many good lakes in carver cty. It's just that a lot of them get pounded so you have to get to them early on weekends. What are you looking for, I have fished most lakes in the county. Very few I haven't tossed a line in! Welcome to FM!!!! It's a great site. Have fun.

Rainman

Alright another FMer to the carver county area. Lets see if I can be of some help.

Well everyone knows of Lake Minnetonka, probably the best multi specie choice in the Area.

Also Lake Waconia, a great panfish and Bass lake, Also a great Muskie fisherie, a few walleyes and also a few Northern.

Lake Bavaria is a good choice for panfish and smaller northerns, also great for Bass.

Lake Pearsons is an Excellent Bass lake, also a great Northern and Muskie lake, holds crappies as well but they are harder to come by.

Lake Minnewashta my favorite lake to fish for Bass, I give credit to the DNR for making this a catch and release lake for Bass. Also great Northern and Panfish lake. A few Muskies as well.

Lake Zumbra another excellent choice for Bass and Northerns, Also good for panfish.

Lake Parley is a good bet for Panfish and Walleyes.

Hydes Lake is another good place for Panfish, Northerns, Bass.

Wasserman is a great lake for Muskies, It is small and very milfoil infested. However I have caught 2 45" Muskies from there. Along with numerous Northerns.

Hope this gives you some type of guideline. I'm sure there's ones I'm forgetting. Any other questions or help just ask.

~Matt Jung

I'll second the Steiger recommendation. Skitter-Pop right before dark is a blast!

I am new to the site as well but have lived in Carver Cnty for the last 3 years. I live in Chaska so if I only have a few hours to fish I usually hit Pearsons or Minnewashta because they are close to my house. I like Pearsons for Northerns and Minnewashta for panfish. I like Minnetonka as an all around lake if you want to fish walleye/northerns part of the day and also hit the pan fish as well. The only problem with Minnetonka is most of the public launches only have a few parking spaces.

SouthSider;

Welcome to FM, I see your from Chaska, We'll have to get out fishing sometime.

~Matt Jung

Matt why dont you just tell them every good spot of mine

jk

Matt:

Thanks, I would like that. My wife is from MN but I am not so I am always looking for fishing/hunting buddies. I live is Points West on Cnty Rd 10. Send me an e-mail if you want to go out sometime. I drive by Minnetonka on my way home from work if you wanted to meet up one evening.

[email protected]

Jeff

Jeff;

Ok I will e-mail you about getting together one evening.

And as for Waltinader, all I can say is you wish. LOL

also Andrew I'll see you on Waconia tomorrow.

~Matt Jung

Thank you for all the responses. I made it out to Pearsons on Wednesday (in the rain)I trolled the perimeter with a red and white Doctor's spoon and then cast a Rattle Rap and caught 3 northerns, two big enough for supper that night! I also had a follow from a 24" muskie. I like to fish for all species, usually Bass and Northern for sport, but also panfish for the kids and the occasional northern for supper. Is there a lake that has a consistant panfish bite to keep a 4 year old busy for a while? Doesn't matter if they are potato chip sized. I have never fished Tonka (little intimitated by it's shear size) and havn't fished Waconia even though I have patrolled on it plenty. I generally have days off in the middle of the week if anyone is interested in showing a guy a few good spots durring the day grin.gif Thanks again to all!

Both Zumbra and Bavaria would be lakes that you could take your kids to and keep them busy.

On Zumbra go all the way to the far North side and fish the east shoreline all the way back around the point. Then if you still want lore action fishing that shoreline around the point.

For Bavaria fish the north shorline straight across from the access, also fish the far east/sotheast shoreline.

Hope this helps

~Matt Jung

Hey Glockwinger! This is just too funny and what a small world it is. I was the the other boat out there on Wednesday in the rain and talked to you briefly. I had my ma out with me. We scored on a few bass but were actually prefishing it for eyes. I'd suggest Waconia for your kids and the panfish action. I'd try the bay area where the action should be pretty constant. I've fished quite a few of the lakes that the others have mentioned. All in all, the lakes in the county are good but my favorite especially for big bass remains Stieger in Victoria. Good luck to you in your ventures and I'm sure that I'll be seeing you on the lakes over the season. I know that you are a Cologne person which I won't hold against you smile.gif (jk) but make sure that you watch out for BROKENLINE, he's quit the character smile.gif Just kidding, he's a good guy and very fun to fish and hunt with.

Hey broken line - I'm just trying to picture all of you folks getting together out there in the big city of cologne - what a site smile.gif just kidding - you're good people broken line - great fishing with you

I was out on Lake Susan on Saturday (in Chanhassen). Caught one decent crappie and two small pike. Had a few other bites that seemed like crappies but they just kept stealing my minnows. Wind was a pain, fished from about 9:30 to 1:30. Have to try somewhere else next time. Fishing has to pick up eventually.

Jeff

Hey SouthSider smile.gif Is that the first time that you've fished Lake Susan? There are some nice fish in that lake. The crappies can easily be in excess of 1 pound, nice sunnies, walleyes and bass to boot.

I have fished it a few times in the past. I have caught some decent walleyes and small pike. I have heard about the nice crappies but have never really tied into the "motherload". I like to fish there because it is close to my house and usually not that crowded. If I only have a few hours to fish I can go there and maybe catch a variety of species as you suggested. Anytime you want to go out, let me know.

Have any of you fished Lake Riley lately(Chan/EP border)?

It's been several years for me and I have a few questions, but I want to see if anyone has fished it recently first. Thanks!

Fished Riley last Friday. Pretty slow. Ended up with two small northers while trolling cranks. Hardly marked any fish. My brother was out last Tuesday and caught a 19" eye and he said he was marking a ton of fish.

Thanks T-Rex,

I'm considering fishing Riley this weekend and I know the lake survey shows good #'s of large pike and I would like to switch between eyes, pike, and bass.

Fished lake Riley last Sat and caught a 21" six pound bass by accident. This weekend it won't be by accident. I have the best luck in front of where Riley creek runs unto that lake.

Sounds like a plan Southsider smile.gif Where abouts in town you live or how do you want to get in touch? Sounds like you've done well out there. Looking forward to hearing back from you cool.gif

You can send me an e-mail to [email protected]

I live in Points West subdivision which is on Cnty Rd 10, just west of the new Holiday on 41. I try to get out at least one day every weekend but I am also hoping to fish a few days after work now that it stays light so long.

Jeff