• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Come on fella's, I don't see hardly any reports from this last weekend. I am chomping at the bit. 1 month and less than 2 days until the wife and I venture north. Please give me some reports!!!!(good and bad)

If anyone fishes the dam area up near Wolf bay, please let me know as we are staying near there.(Vermilion Dam Lodge)

Good Luck All, I can hardly wait to come up to this beautiful lake.(and hopefully catch some fish!)

Kyle

Sunday got out and tried several spots with limited success and then went to my last choice for the day and wished it would have been my 1st choice. We picked up 3 walleye in half an hour and then had to leave. Caught three small ones in the 1st spot and nothing in the 2nd and third.

Oh Yeah, hooked a huge Musky too!!!

My overall weekend was good.

Plenty of eyes to be had. We fished wind blown points and shorelines with great success. Jig and minnow combination, drop it down let it sit on bottom for a minute and slowly raise and bang, fish on. Most fish we landed came from 32-45-feet of water. I had alot of boats come in and graph the area I was fishing but most guys saw the depth and moved on. Big mistake on their part, But I was not crowded.

Keep in mind the wind is a pain in the but, but its your friend if you wanna catch fish. Alot of guys were tucking in the calm areas to stay out of the wind, with some success, but mostly limited success.

I did pull some good old faithfull # 5 perch rapalas in 3-6 feet of water with some good success!

GOOD LUCK!

We picked up lots of small walleye on a steep shore line break. only one in 3 or 4 were keeper size. they seemed to want leeches in the evening and minnows in the day for us.

Family and I had a fantastic opener. Three walleyes on Saturday, and a nice limit on Sunday. Lindy rigs tipped with a rainbow minnow seemed to work well in 9-12 feet of water in channels.

Were you speed trolling or going at a slow speed? I'll be up Memorial and want to land the big one so any hints would be great!

Hey All,

The walleyes have been snaping pretty good for me

so far. We caught about 40 on Saturday, 25 more on Sunday and limited out today on my first guide trip of the season. Many of those were small fish however, we were able to find plenty of 14 to 17" walleyes for the pan. grin.gif

Jigs and splitshot rigs, tipped with rainbows and fathead minnows, have caught all my fish so far.

Did well in Pike bay Saturday and caught a lot by Cherry Island in 28 to 36ft. We fished Cherry and

the far east end today, and had a 3 man limit by lunch time.

We spent much of the afternoon pounding smallies on jigworms and husky jerks, around some of the islands on the east end of Big Bay. My 2 clients caught several fish in the 3 to 4 lb range and I got one over 20", to round out the day. grin.gif

"Ace" cool.gif "I love fishing"!!!!

limited out off shore saturday, didnt keep anything under 14". Would post a pic, but you know the rules frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

The Mn. Lt. Governor and I caught & released 33 walleyes on the opener.

Her largest fish was 16-1/2 inches! grin.gif

I did not fish Sunday.

Today I had 2 clients out and we caught 45 walleyes and kept our limit of 18 fish. laugh.gif

Most were 14 to 19-1/2 inches.

Got them all on lindy rigs in 29 to 42 feet of water using pike suckers and large rainbows as bait.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

I did not get to fish this weekend, I was trying to get my cabin back in shape for the family to show up next weekend. I did watch my two neighbors fish off the dock in Pike Bay, and they were catching walleye after walleye, a lot of the fish were small, they sorted through them, but the action was consistent it appeared. They had two very nice bags of fish when they were done for the day. We were out of the wind and the fire they had going and sitting around, sure felt good. The cabin is done and now I can let the fishing begin. Good fishing to you all.

Darrell Larson.

Decent opener. We caught numbers deep but better size shallow (10-17'). Evenings were snapping pretty good. Midway we could only find a decent bite deep, Big Bay in 30' or so around Pine Island.

We didn't do too bad, but could have been better. A number of smaller walleyes and a big perch, all on leeches. Evenings at the dock brought in a number of small walleyes but missed quite a few. It would have been nice to drop anchor on Saturday, but there was no way those 18 pound anchor would have held.

Yesterday, we tried slow trolling lindys and spinners with leeches, the spinner setup was the more successful. I wish I hadn't left the rest of the spinners back home.

was up this last weekend with 5 others. we caught in excess of 70 walleye, a few bass and Northerns. mainly dragging rapalas in 5-7 feet water.. no size on them, biggest 'eye was 15". up to mille lacs this weekend to try for size..

The bite has been fantastic here on the west end. Opener Saturday was spectacular with several limits for my guests. I did have one boat with 53 total fish for the day. The bite slowed a little yesterday witht he high sky in the afternoon, but rebounded with a great evening bite. Today was windy but still the fish were cooperating. ALL of our fish are on a jig and minnow combination. 24-29 feet was the order of the day for both Saturday and Sunday. Today the fish were deeper and all the fish in my boat were out of 40 feet. Number one jig color was John Deere Green, #2 blaze orange, #3 Allis/Chalmers orange. Sorry for the tractor pattern, but hey I am a Kansas boy. We did have a 10 pounder on Sunday night, what a beautiful walleye. It does not seem to matter whether we use Rainbows or Fatheads. Fatheads are cheaper. The weather looks ugly for tomorrow---- but it sure beats a poke in the eye with a frozen carrot.

Doug

Don't forget to give us Your Daily Fishing Reports. You guys are my lifeline up there. I'm pretty stoked. I get to come up in less than a month and this morning I got to see my baby for the 1st time!!!(1st ultrasound, 1st baby) It was pretty (Contact US Regarding This Word) cool!!!! Keep the reports coming PLEASE!!!!! I got the fever BAD!!!! - Kyle

All of theses deep water reports are amazing to me. Last weekend I was on vermillion, tried many methods in many different spot and I did not catch a fish until started bobber fishing in 6-8 feet of water, then I hammered them. I will be up again tonight and probably will try everything again.

Ryan

Hey Ely Lake what kind of size did you run into up shallow? I will be up on Vermillion for the first time ever a week from monday. I'll be up there through the following weekend. Looking for any help i can get.

Hey gang, I am noticing something I am not familiar with. I have fished lots of places in Carribean,HI, Mex.all around western Can and US but never here in MN. I do have a trip coming up though. I notice a lot of references to the guides fishing along with the clients. Have never heard of that. In my experience the guide "guides" and the client fishes. Whats the story?

I have never used a guide myself(like to learn lakes on my own) but whenever I have seen guides with people in the boat they do fish but they definetly cater to their guests. I see them landing the fish, baiting hooks, tying rigs etc. I think it would help find the fish and what's working and what's not working if the guide fishes with the client. Just my opinion.

By the way we were out yesterday and we caught fish anywhere from 8 to 38 feet. I will say we got the most consistent bite in 31 to 35 feet of water. Many, many, many short strikes. 3 time I pulled my minnow in and it was gone just behind the head. I tried letting them take it, I tried teasing them a little and I tried smacking them right away not much luck, and no stinger hooks in the tackle box frown.gif Do now tho grin.gif

I'm OK with the guide fishing. He can show you things with a pole in is hand he wouldn't otherwise be able to demonstrate.

I think livebait walleye fishing is one of the most technique-reliant fishing ventures there are, therefore having the guide fish to me is very important. Some clients are skilled enough to hold their own and catch fish without a doubt, but I am sure many guides will tell you other clients cannot be trusted. That's How i feel about it at least..

Second that, the guide really needs to "feel" what's going on down there when the bite is a little tough, and then instruct the client accordingly.

I was out for a bit yesterday and the weather was great and the catching was pretty good. Is any else seeing a rather large amount of small 10 to 12 inch fish??? I did get enough keepers for a meal but the little ones were about 3 or 4 to 1, that has seemed to be the norm for me and anyone else that I have taken out with me. And these are spots that have produced much better numbers of 14 to 17 inch fish in the past.

I was out for most of the weekend, the largies and the smallies were going bonkers. The walleyes like you said that I caught were all 10"-12", with only a few over that. I don't know whats up whith that, but its not a bad thing. All in all, what a great weekend on the Big V.

Fished 3 days over the weekend, caught enough for a meal or two for the family, released a whole bunch more. Deeper and larger profile baits seemed to bring up the Walleyes that were over 12"... all in all a great weekend. 25+ fish in 3 days for me and my daughter, with a bunch more for my brother & his family, including 3 over 20", all of which were released. Should've seen my 3 year old neice when she brought in an 'Eye that big!!! grin.gifcool.gifgrin.gif

Along with my daughter's interest in learning how to clean fish, drive the boat, jig & Lindy rig, it was on one of the best weekends I've had fishing as an adult and parent... cool.gif

17 days until I make the trip up to the Big "V". I can hardly stand it!!!!!!!! Can someone PLEASE keep me up to date with the small mouth action??? I really want to get into some bronze backs. Staying on the north and west side by the the Vermilion River (Vermilion Dam Lodge) I'd also like to hit some gills (if the bulls are in cleaning out beds) and walleyes for the fryer while the wife and I are up there.

Good luck and keep the reports coming!!! See ya in a couple weeks!!! Kyle

This probably will not help you in 17 days but...I caught smallies on Lake Fork Tubes and Yum tubes, Spinner baits, and my biggest on a big ol shiner under a bobber. So just about everything. By the way Vermillion Dam runs a class A resort!

• 2 weeks later...