• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

There's chirp out today about a 17+# eye caught on Melissa.

Another urban ledgend?

I haven't heard anything like this, but I'm willing to officially be the first to call "BS" on this claim. Are you sure it wasn't a northern? Or maybe a 7 lb eye? Either way, I'm extremely skeptical that a 17 could come out of a lake like Melissa.

I have not heard this one yet.....BUT

I was on South Lida today at about 230pm and caught the biggest walleye of my life..so far. 28 3/4 inch monster. I had no scale but I guess she would have gone near the 10lbs mark. She looked old, grey and eyes as big as quarters. I was not planing on fishing so I didnt have my camera...I FEEL SO STUPID!!!! I was just trying to burn off last years gas when I stopped behind an island and made two casts.........

She was caught on a 1/2 oz Mimmic Minnow in about 15 feet of water. I would give up muskie fishing and focus on walleyes if they were all like that......just had to share the story. cool.gifcool.gifsmile.gif

Awesome Cliffy. Bet that made your day. Biggest walleye I've ever had on was on South Lida too. Shore fishing one fall. No net, couldn't get my hands around it's head. Flopped around and cut the line and away she went. Couple of old buggers froom Kansas were watching and both thought it was better than 11lbs.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago, now I carry a disposable camera in the tackle box. I shoot about two rolls of CPR fish per season now. I'm thinking of upgrading to a small digital.

Cliffy come on no body can give up muskie fishing, until they are either too broke to hit the water or too fed up to lift a rod again.

Anyway on the right waters with the right baits its not too uncommon to catch a couple of eyes over 8 lbs while muskie fishing.

I hear ya....no way am I giving up on muskie fishing.

I get a kick out of my farther and wife..who normally only fish walleyes...they complain if they dont catch a bunch each time they go out....I am use to maybe only having a few follows for days on end when I am muskie fishing.......so when I go out and catch 6 walleyes its like heaven for me. They even laugh when I figure 8 the little walleye crank bait at the boat....I have never had a walleye hit on the eight but I guess I do it out of habit.

Catching that walleye was just so much fun...I just wish my wife and/or dad would have been along to enjoy the moment.

Take care. wink.gif

Fishing eyes is definately fun.

And there are some big ones in the area. My cousin caught a 9 lber last weekend.

And I saw a few pushing ten in the mill a few weeks ago. I recently saw 2 big muskies in there too, 42-44 and 46-47.

Saw a couple young punks trying to snag the muskies. The fish had too hooks stuck in its side.

I told the kids If they didn't leave I was going to feed them to the muskie. Just kiddin. I did tell them to leave though and showed them the sign that was about 10 feet from them that said "NO FISHING"

I too would find it hard to believe....however! This lake is noted for "huge" walleyes and I personally have caught some nice ones and spoke to my old neighboor who fished there a lot and personally witnessed two 31"+ fish released. Granted, I hear ya mentioning this as another fish tale. BUT. Ask yourself two questions.

1. What kind of forage base is in there? Tullibees.

2. How much fishing pressure does this lake get outside of the weedlines? The two big dogs weren't caught along the weedlines and neither have any of my big fish out there.

Go forth and fish!

The walleye bite here in the Fox Valley has been tough with cold water temps. I got 10 last night but only one was bigger than 10 inches!! Owch. Wish I was back in DL!

I grew up a few miles from Melissa and have fished it alot both on ice and open water. I have caught three fish in the 29 1/2 - 31 1/2" range over the years. I have also seen many large walleyes swim below my hole ice fishing. I swear I saw them smile just a little as they swam by my dancing golden shiner. Now....17 lbs??? That's a big....big....fish. But I do know this. First, we would all be a little surprised if we knew how big some eyes get in area lakes. Just because we don't catch them on 3 inch shiners or leeches isn't a good indicator of the fish size in the lake. Second, ANYTIME you have tulibees in the lake; you WILL have some big walleyes in it. Just my two cents guys. I would like to hear any details on this big fish though.

I had a good opener. In three days, my partner and I boated 30 fish, with 10 of them going 23-26 inches.(Released) Water temp was 53 degrees. Could barely get a bite on a shiner. Leeches were poppin' though. 21-26 FOW. Lake south of DL.

• 2 weeks later...

have been fishing Mellisa and Salllie a lot since opener and prior for crappies but have not see any great numbers or size did nail a mosnster pike outside of the slot limit opening night on sallie while pulling for eye's in 30ft of water. Buddies hooked a 48 in muskie by the river channel last week on mellisa