• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well.................?

CrappieJohn

How did the opener come off for all of you? Slow in this guy's corner pretty much, but I only fish a few hours in the morning. I've seen some pics in a couple forums of fair to good luck. Any care to share?

I only went out for about 2 hours... And I left the walleyes alone, I caught quite a few crappie and sunfish on the Micro Shad, and spent about an hour throwing for pike, Nada... nothing, ZIP... and need I say.. brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Was cold and windy but we braved it for a while. My kids and I sat on the shore line of a local lake and caught a few northerns. Nothing huge, but was fun.

our party of 6 caught 5 walleyes all 23" to 23 3/4" three were on sat and 2 were on sun, not bad at all for the lake I fished.

my boat of 5 had everyone catch a northern. i personally caught 7 northern, my older bro caught 3 or 4, eveyone else caught one. no walleyes or crappies. one jumbo perch.

Dietz -

Been looking for the micro shad...where can a guy get some?

YD-Cabelas should have it.. Gander down your way had some too...

Only managed one small walleye Saturday. The bass and northerns were on fire though! I probably caught 12 bass and 10 northens and my dad did about the same. They were stacked up on a weedy break on the windy side of the lake we fished. Fished shallow all day Saturday. Talked to a buddy and they had decent luck fishing deeper water (17-24'), went out with him Sunday night and we got 4 nice eyes and missed quite a few. Beautiful night Sunday. Made me question braving the elements Saturday. Can't wait to get out again!

No walleyes, 3 northern, 2 about 4-5#. 3 crappies & a bass.

North metro lake

Started at 2 am, no fish until day break.

5 bass 10 bullheads and to many walleyes to count.

rain, rain and more rain. Stopped fishing around 10 am

4 guys kept 6 fish for a meal.

All the walleyes were in 15- 20 fow, fished with a jig and a minnow.

Our boat of three guys called it a morning when the clicker hit 50, that's 50 walleyes between 16"-20". After a little lunch break we went out and caught 2 more, I guess it was more of a morning bite. grin.gif

Sunday was more of the same, except the action was more steady, Saturdays bite was fast and furious at sun up with straglers getting hooked now and then after that. Sundays bite was more consistant with a few doubles and even a triple occuring. We were gonna call it a weekend at an even 100, but figured it wouldn't take too long to get a couple more to match our Saturday morning total.

102 walleyes, not to shabby for an opening weekend. Biggest was 21 1/2". We kept three for dinner Sat, and another two for Bushwac's folks yesterday. Oh yea, a couple of us tried for some trout up the north shore on Friday and got a 27" Looper out of it. Despite the weather, opening weekend was a good time.

Well........

The weather was tough, but I found the fish on edges between 8-12" of water. Fished a lake in North Central MN and had luck catching crappies. Two of the fish are posted in the pics show. The one I'm holding is a 14". That one I caught on a homemade lure. Also, had some luck with Crappie Tom's stubgrub paddletail. The other crappie, on the measuring stick, is 13". Note the paddletail right above its head. All fish were releases. Went to Big Sandy the rest of the weekend (by McGregor). Mixed success for walleyes and pike. Had what appeared to be an 8-10lb. walleye on, but it broke me off at the side of the boat while my buddy was trying to net it.

[image]http://www.valhallallc.com/crappies051405[/image]

3 walleyes 18-20 inchers Saturday afternoon all in about a two hour stretch, Remer area. Jig and a crappie minnow, deeper than I would have expected...

Caught a couple of walleyes on Crooked Lake. Cold and rainy, then sunny.....weird day.

I was on leech for the weekend and it was bad 5 foot waves AND NO FISH ALL WEEKEND!

What was the water temp on Leech? I'll be up there on Friday.

We caught alot of bass. I had the same problem last year.

I plan to try the same lake on Thursday and I'll be looking for improvement, I should be the only boat on the lake.

2dalake...where on leech will you be fishing?? I will be around agency bay/walker bay area friday-sunday, will have the 2 ways with also

Our group boated at least 45-50 walleyes all weekend long up in Duluth! Wasn't as fast and furious as last year, but enough excitement to keep us warm and having fun grin.gif

Biggest fish was 22.5" in the boat....my biggest was 21.5"!

Nice to finally be out!

Hey DIETZ I thought you'd for sure be sittin' around the fire place, sippin' on your coffee and LYAO at us.....Now I read you were out?!?!?!?

I'm LMAO on the report you gave compared to what I caught grin.gif

Well, despite the rolling seas, the spontaneous downpours and the hand numbing cold, my dad and I had a very enjoyable opener. We were drifting along in 8-10 feet of water dragging large shiners with the new Angel Eye Jig from Scenic Tackle. If you haven't seen these babies - check them out in the sponsor showcase forum here:

Angel Eye Jigs

We started out at about 9 am on a river bar that extended out into the lake. Before long we had 4 nice eaters in the livewell (16-18") By then we couldn't feel our hands anymore so decided to make an early lunch run. We headed back out to lake after a long warm up session and the wind had decided to really pick up. We chose a new area with some sporadic weeds and gravel that we could drift right along the break with the wind. My dad threw out his Chartruse/orange Angel Eye jig and I got out the camera to take a better look at what lurked on the bottom. Before I even got the camera down my dad had missed two nice fish. I looked on the screen and saw crazy amounts of eyes in all sizes. Before long the net was getting a work out. We toasted all our shiners before the wind picked up to a point where our drift was nearing 2 mph - and yeah, we were getting wet. We both missed some very large fish and definately had enough action to keep us going in the less than desirable conditions. There were many other boats doing the same thing we were doing, but I didn't see nearly the amount of eyes being caught as there was in our boat. I think the Angel Eye jigs gave the fish something a little more noticeable to zone in on with the vibrant colors and the oversize eyes and those sticky sharp hooks certainly did the trick. My dad ended up catching his largest eye to date - a beautiful 27" eye!! I can't even begin to describe what it was like to be able to net that fish for him and see his reaction

(I will have Paul post a pic for me) This will be an opener I will never forget...

clueless.JPG

I'll be with a group of nine in Walker/Steamboat. One of the boats we'll be in has a radio, what do we use on here? Channel 69?

Fished the Whitefish Chain on Sat...couldn't keep the bass off caught at least 20 of them and some northerns...any dock fishing Crappies seemed to have Bass trying to warm up. Sunday afternoon finally found the warmest water of the wknd..55.7 and found lots of Crappies plus a 24 inch wallygator..all in all not terrible except for the weather.

Capt BRK-

Well at least Rick fixed the darn fishing opener count down. Its been off by 2 weeks for the last few months!

THE REAL OPENER IS GETTING NEAR!!!

and fyi, I did turn on the fireplace after I got back from playing in the rain.

Whew~ tough weather this week-end! The fishing on Mille Lacs was fair-if you could brave the waves. Action was a little slow, but I managed to boat four eyes for the week-end. One 23 & 1/2" 5.3 lbs., two just over 20", all 3 released, & one keeper 19 & 3/4". All were very healthy and thick. Some in our party tried night fishing, but didn't have any luck. The wind and rain was nasty, but that's opener. grin.gif

Heres my report. 2 of us fished Vermillion both days around the hoodoo point area, we both limited out on saturday on walleyes. Sunday I kept 5 walleyes and 2 jumbo perch and my buddy caught one walleye too small to keep. The biggest walleye of the weekend was 22 inches with most being the 14-15 inch range.

Also I had one fish on that had to be 10+ pounds but it snapped my line. I have a feeling it was a muskie, but who knows it was BIG.

Ryan

2dalake and wishin, we're heading up tomorrow night. Will be on channel 69. Ask for Captian Plastic Leg or Cornflakes. Maybe we can compare notes!

I hit the alex area with 3 buddys. No Walleye on Sat, 14 keepers on Sunday.

Ole