• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crosslake Dam

This is my first post, I just signed up. Has anybody been fishing below the Crosslake dam?? Just wondering if they're hitting, and what there hitting on. I plan on fishing for walleyes toward the end of next week and need some info first. Thanks

I did not fish below the dam but I did see a number of people fishing there. It looked to me like the waders positioned themselves so that those fishing from the pier were basically cut off from casting to the better areas. The water level looked somewhat low to me, perhaps favoring an evening bite. I didn't stop and check things out, this was the perception I got as I drove by and rubber-necked... smile.gif

Thanks for the info man, I still plan on giving it a shot. I do plan to fish it at night too. Thanks again.

Prodigy, I was there for the opener. There wasn't anything going on there on Sat. or Sun. There were around 50 people at midnight, and I didn't see but a couple people catch any walleyes. Heard two guys say they were there all night and not a single fish! The water level was definetly up from last year and they opened the dam up more when I was there on Sat. I think the water temps. were a little cool yet which means it might be good this week with the warmer temps forecasted. Good luck!

Thank you too bgmny. I plan to hit it Wednesday night at about 11:30 pm. This will be my first shot at night fishing, but not my first time there. I fished there once last year when the water was extreamly low, and didn't catch any, but saw walleyes stacked up along the edge where that rock apron drops off into the pool. Didn't catch any because I did not have the right tackle to put in front of them. I have fished other times and only caught large mouth and northerns - lot of bass. Thanks again

I wouldn't target those fish by the apron. We go up there every year and I tried for them, when a local told me that they were suckers. Upon closer look, sure enough, suckers. I've had my best luck from the south fishing dock, it can really get interesting when the water is higher, lots of walleyes move up there when they open the dam.

Do you only fish the dam late at night? I am looking for somewhere to shorefish from. Do you need waders to fish here?

If the water is high you probably wouldn't need waders, but I highly recommend using them. Many times guys walk out in front of the docks and cut off the guys fishing from them.

Early in the season, people fish this area at all times of the day.

There are a couple of bridge areas that guys fish as well. One over by The Wharf in the channel from Cross to Rush/Hen and one right in town in the channel from Cross to Daggett.

How exactly do you fish the dam....do you cast or just bobber fish with a minnow or leech?

junior9, I'm not sure if you've been there before, but below the dam is solid boulder rocks with a hole by the fishing pier around 80 feet by 120 feet. I'm not sure of the depth in the hole but it is deeper water than the rest of the area, and you can tell where the hole is by looking down from the pier. There are tons of snake northerns in the hole, as well as a few walleyes. The northerns will take anything offered to them, but the walleyes prefer jigs pulled along the rocks on the bottom. Be prepared to lose some jigs while doing this, there are some weeds there also. Waders are a plus, as you can get to the other side of the hole this way. Hope this helps!

Been there several time, just never fished it.

Thanks for the help...I think I will try it out next weekend...I assume this weekend will be packed around there.