• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading out on the river tomorrow....

Just curious as to how everyone did this opener? Junky....

Was on the river this weekend with a group of 2 boats. My boat caught over 30 eyes on Saturday, the other boat caught 1. Everyone was fishing the same water, using the same weight of jigs and a jig/minnow combo. CRAZY!

Sunday, being it wasn't raining and the sun poked out a few times, wasn't a great day at all. Really had to work for a bite and caught maybe half as many as we got on Saturday.

Crummy weather that's for sure.

Thanks for the report BRK. Sounds like you had a good time.

Fished sunday morning a couple hours near Clough Island and did fair, biggest was 21''. Crawlers on spinners as usual. Avoided the crowds upriver. Didn't catch anything smaller than 18'', so I assume the males are still upriver. Personally, bright days have never been an issue on the river as the water is so dark. On the other hand, I have yet in many years to catch a walleye after the sun goes behind the hill!

Good luck.!

We were up anchored by the 23 bridge, 50 walleyes each morning all between 16"-20". Yes, it is amazing that one boat can catch so many fish, yet the one boat right next to you might only have caught a couple. That's the Louie for ya!

Heck, you can be in the same boat with a guy whos tearing them up and your having a hard time. Even if your both doing the same thing and using the same baits. I know I've been there. I got schooled by the old man on Sat. Thats alright his turns coming laugh.gif

Outdoor, man did you call that right. My Brother spanked me yesterday, and we were using the same setup. The only thing different is, his bottem bouncer was painted yellow and orange. It's tough being in your own boat and have to listen to your Bro give ya crap. Any consilation, he had to clean the fish. Fun time though. Junky.....

Duffman what were you riding in? You werent any of the boats parked in the channel below the bridge blocking traffic were ya? Just kidding. I couldnt believe how many fools park in the only passage up or down the river then glare at ya when you come next to there boat! Just stupid!! The DNR needs to get up there and inforce the traffic laws for a few days. Looked like even they only wanted to play bumper boats for a few ours themselves.

The real madeness will start on Thurs morning when the 23 bridge opens.

My report so far is nothing to brag about compared to usual river openers. Today was my best bite. Got about 30 eyes in a 3 hour period. Besides today the other days were what I see as below average. We chased them all over the place. A couple here a couple there. Me and Lota did find a decent bite Sat night. Biggest eye was 24" and many in the 16-18" range. A few 20-22"s tossed in for fun.

Well Im back off to the river. You guys have fun!

BRK you can call me on the cell if ya want to get a hold of me the 2 ways werent cutting it.

There was alot of people running full speed too close to others again this year, your right northlander, the dnr does need to get up there and start enforcing some laws.

Northlander- I'm back home now. Was hitting my head ( mad.gif) for not remembering to print off the e-mail w/ phone number on it to reach you all weekend. That's why I tried the talkie Saturday morning.

Wish I could be up there later this week when the weather is going to start turning decent.

Glad to hear you caught numbers of fish finally.

Black Max if your in the buoys where boating traffic has to go threw you will get "Buzzed". At times its much better for bigger boats to go threw on plane than 1/4th or 1/2 throttle. I throw a less wake on plane than I do 1/4th throttle.

It can all be avoided if people just stay out of the middle of the buoys. I dont mind a few people within a few feet of buoys but anchoring in them is wrong.

Thats a good point steve, you won't find me in the middle or by the buoys though. When the river gets crowded I stick to the sides of the river, its less crowded and I normally find more fish there also.

A boat on plane makes a smaller wake then one plowing water at 1/4 power true, but there is no reason for people to be going by at 40-50mph shooting through the other boats like a slalom course. But it does happen thats why I stay on the sides when fishing normally. I'll be up on fri. to have a day of eye fishing, has the bite been good for you this week steve?

Then again as I learned this past weekend regardless of my speed, dirty looks were bound to come my way, even with Northlander right behind me grin.gif. Alot of people in the middle of the channel and some unavoidable to get a good wake with me trying to get back to camp. IF anyone out there was one of them I apolagize but then again that is what bumper boats on the river is all about on the opener!

Black Max to tell ya the truth this is the worst opener I can remember. Yes were are catching some fish but nothing close to 100 fish days like in the past. This wind and rain stinks! Supposed to start getting nice in time for the grand slam this weekend. I think the fish will really snap this weekend if we get the weather the guys say we will.

Northlander....

Yea, the grey Lund with three guys catching a lot of walleyes, that was us. grin.gifgrin.gif We have pretty much anchored in the same spot the last three openers, give or take a boat length or two. We've got no problem with boats cutting through both bow and stern, they've gotta get by somehow if they are headed down river or want to fish the 23 bridge area. We reserve the dirty looks for the guy whose anchor won't hold and rams our boat. cool.gif

We haven't been running cranks or spinners downriver for a few years now. No need, got that St. Louie jigging thing down somewhat. Yep, not your usual numbers opener, but we were able to keep ourselves entertained with enough fish, plus watching the river rocks introduce themselves to the river newbies is always worth a chuckle or two. grin.gif

Good luck in the tourney, some of our clan is returning this weekend, we had 7 boats up last weekend. Oh yea, nice Lund, as Bushwac was saying on the river, it's good to see ya step up to a real boat. cool.gif

Wow, just think how many fish I could catch in a real boat.

You guys are talking about dirty looks and getting around people. It seems kind of rude to fly by someone up on plane but yet it is very annoying to slow down to plowing speed and create as big as wake as one can. So if there is such a thing, what is the proper speed? I would rather a guy just got it over with and flew by. Seems best for all to me.

It seemed when I dropped down to about 5-7 mph it was the least wake, still large none the less with a 22 foot boat but less than W.O.T. and way less than just up on Plane. Did however take over a half an hour to get to where I wanted to fish when it normally would be a matter of minutes.

Have agree with Duffman and Hwood. At this time of the year, if you do not want to be bounced around by boat wakes, the river is not the place to fish. I try to stay as far away as I can, but some boaters want to anchor in the channel where it gets narrow, and with only one day off a week my time is to valuable to slow down for every boat that is out there. It does not bother me me if I get rocked by another boat, better jigging action>>>later the load

Randy you gt enough in that boat ya got now. We need to hit alouize REAL soon. E-mail me.

The way I see it if your going to break the law and anchor in a channel you are going to get buzzed. No matter what we say or do and the Sherriff and DNR dont enforce it so the fools still do it. We go buy at safe distances and speed but some people dont undertsand you would rather I run by on plane than slow down and toss everyone a wall of water.

What are the rules about fishing the Channel. I go after muskie so the idea of dropping an anchor does not appeal to me, let alone in the channel. Can you troll or drift it and do you need to stay to a certain side when trolling?

I saw alot of people anchored in the channel on fri when I was there and I have to agree with northlander and the rest that you deserve to get some wake if you are going to anchor in the only safe water to navigate in. There were alot of them in the spirit lake area on fri and I did move by at a good clip, but still tried to maintain a distance from them. Further up the river the problem is not as bad but I did see a few people pull up and anchor right in the middle of your hot drift pattern after they see you go by and hit some fish.

I guess its a free country and all but if you want to get in on the bite then join the group and get your fish, but I hate it when someone just pulls up and anchors and ruins everybodys drift run and makes everyone go around them.

I think it was last year I saw the coast guard going after people anchored in the channel, I was glad to see it. You have to leave a place for people to get by. I slip drift on the edges, I like to cover alot of water.

You can not anchor in the channels nor are you supposed to sit and troll around in them or be drifting in them. There are 3 places that people do this all the time. Above Spirit Lake, Boyscout and Walleye Alleye. The Coast Guard, DNR and Sherriff's Dept need to get out and start inforcing this! Its way out of hand!