• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opening Weekend Reports

Please post your opening weekend report or experiences here.

It was definitely Friday the 13th for me. I took the boat out Friday afternoon to check out a couple things and my trim relays quit on my motor. After I got those fixed, I decided to head out at midnight due to the weather forecasted for Saturday. I only got to fish about 1-1/2 hours before my trolling motor battery died. It had a full charge when I left home, but it was getting old. The winter must have finally did it in.

I wasn't too disappointed to have to leave early though. It was not the nicest of nights! The wind was blowing pretty good already at midnight and there were only two other boats on the lake, one of which left right before I did so I figure he had enough too.

I'll be out this afternoon!

crappy weekend!!! we went camping and tried fishing also. went to marion, caught a few bass on saturday looking for pike, and caught one bass on sunday. too many bass!!! was nice to get out, but nicer to get back to the camper where the thermostat was set at a cozy 67 degrees!!! my sister and brother-in-law tented it all weekend!! good thing they are newlyweds!! all in all, a nice camping trip, but the fishing could have been alot better!!!

Lake Erie Report...

3 of us were out on Erie today. Started at 8:30a.m. and quit at around 2:30p.m. Caught one 16.5" walleye along the weedline with a 1/8oz orange/chartruese combo colored fuzzy grub and fathead minnow (got it at about 9:15a.m.). Weedline was around 10'-11' deep and that's where we got it. Dad used a crawler (that's all he'll ever use) and didn't get a bite. Me and my bro-in-law caught lots of 1/2lb - 1lb largemouths with the biggest being about 3lbs. Bonus fish for fighting, but not all that exciting as we really were looking for walleyes.

Water surface temp when we got there was 50.5 degrees and was 51.8 degrees when we left. Need another 6 - 8 degrees I think before this lake picks up. Walleye was really dark in color, just like a Canadian walleye...leads me to wonder if he had been staging down deep. We kept the walley. I cleaned it. It was pretty slim yet, not much fat at all.

We tried depths from 3' - 28'. Marked a few at 16' - 18', but couldn't get any takers. Didn't see any other boats pull in anything. Talked to another guy and he didn't have any success, although he said the lake was good for him last year.

Heard that there were a few taken off of Belle. Didn't hear of size, depth, etc., etc.

That's about it for the first time out. Looking forward to next weekend as I'll probably hit both Erie and Hook next weekend, weather permitting.

All in all, we caught about a dozen bucketmouths and the one walleye. Not what we hoped for, but still a great time on a COLD day!

basscatcher -

Your report of depths fished and water temperatures is exactly the same as mine on Stella today. Graphed fish in the same range as you also but no takers. Threw the box at them. I don't think an opening weekend front helped matters much either. Like you said, some warmer temps should stir things up soon.

LMITOUT

Definitely. With the walleye being a bit on the skinny side, it leads me to wonder if they're in a post-spawn pattern right now and are close to going on that big bite to fatten back up. Last year when we hit them on that lake they were all FAT. Just a few more degrees and I think we'll be there.

Not much to report on Stella huh? I've fished that lake a few times, but have had limited success. The two bars on the west end and the north/northwest shoreline have been the best areas for us in past years. I guess the point on the north/northeast side has produced a couple in the past, but not as well as the other areas. Oh yeah, I do remember having one BIG fish on the hump that comes up to about 29' in the southcentral part of the lake. Man, that was a big fish, but as the story goes, the big one got away. Wish they would have had the "Rapala prayer commercial" back then 'cause I would have been praying it! smile.gif

Have you ever had decent success and size from that lake? I've always found them on the smallish side.

I fished the crow river got 3 walleys and 2 pike on saturday and 3 walleys and 4 pike today one walleye was 20 inches and 2 of the pike were 5 lbs, so not to bad also saw a man catch a smallmouth has anyone else caught or seen any smalleis caught in the river.

fishinglife, how many hours did you have to put in to get those walleys? What part of the river in hutch were you on?

Where there a lot of other guys getting them as well? I may get out there tommorrow and need a place to start. thanks, ff

fished belle on midnight ,, nothing there,, erie on sat nothing then a lake to be named later and limited out with fish from 2-4 lbs.. great end to a crappy weekend...

So how long do we have to wait for that lake to be named? grin.gif

Hit Erie Sat. morning, nothing but bass, then hit Stella during the afternoon windstorm, 1 Northern there, finished up the day on Washington, managed a 18" walleye there.

Sunday hit Washington, 1 big ol smallmouth, then hit Collinwood in the afternoon, nothin but a big ol bucketmouth.

A buddy of mine caught a 27" er Friday night, dont know which lake.

Must have been a fluke, went back to the same today and nothing.....

i cuaht the fish right below the first bride below the dam i caught several on a jig/twistertail/minnow combo, I also caught somne on a slip sinker/ floating jig get right up below the bridge and cast into the holw right below the birdge there hoding in there

I listened to some of the sweetest "baritone" music I've ever heard (my 11 year old girl) smirk.gif. Thought about all of the "gluttons for punishment" and was just thankful I was where I was. Vacation in a couple of weeks smile.gif!