• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How was the bite?

Walleye71

I got ill this past week and didn't get the boat in the water. How did everyone do? I'm dying to hear some reports.

First opener in 20 yrs I've missed. I was going to go up for just the day than the winds changed my mind. I must be getting old! I'm leaving for Lake of the Woods for a week on Tuesday so I'm not to upset.

my dad and brother-in-law went out on saturday before the winds got too bad and were bobber fishing in 12ft. of water. in a hour and 15 min. they got walleyes biggest was 19" and they each missed 2 or others. then the wind picked up and they headed in. havent been out since. but been hearing reports from people that did make it out during the day and they were all good reports. hopefully it will keep it up.

Fished noon to 7:30pm around Big Point. A rough day but did managed to catch 4 walleyes - 21, 22, 24 and 27 inches in length.

Heard the wind was pretty unbearable in places!! Let's here it.

On the water at 5:30 am Saturday morning. Fished the rock point in front of Garrison for about 2 hours. Caught several perch and one walleye. Walleye was caught in about 20' of water, lindy style with floating orange jig head and leech.

Then we moved up north to the sand. Caught several nice perc 9-12", some males were milking like crazy when brought into the boat. Barely had to touch them and they sprayed all over. Caught one northern about 4 lbs.

Weather: rain, wind, more rain, more wind, then sleet, then much more wind.

Didn't make it out on Saturday because of the weather, but drove up for the day on Sunday, and within 30 minutes of being out, I had caught a 26 inch walleye. Photo and Released) Only fish for the day. 9 1/2 hours on the water. Didn't see many other fish being caught either. Slow day on the water, with the weather the way it has been.

Fished St. Albans Bay and the rocks out from Garrison from 6AM-2:30PM. Managed to catch one walleye while rigging. Only saw two other walleyes caught. Bobber fished Saturday evening on some rocks near WigWam Bay and managed two walleyes with a bonus smallie.

We were rigging sand on Saturday. Ended up with one fish for our group, saw a few fish caught, but not many for the number of boats up there. It was not hot on that part of the lake, but I think a few boats did ok for themselves.

FRIDAY, 12-200 AM, 4 WALLEYES, 18-20", SAT AM 7-12, FISHED SAND, COULD NOT GET ANYTHING TO GO, SAT 7-11 PM, 6 WALLEYES, 16-20", TOSSED BACK 3 SMALL ONES, ALSO BOATED 5 FISH IN THE 21-24" RANGE, TOSSED BACK. ALL OUR FISH CAME OVER ROCK, 3-6' OF H20. 3 GUYS IN A WARRIOR W/3 RED BOBBERS!

SURE BEAT LAST YEARS OPENER.

Launched the boat at Malmo 8pm Friday night, motored over the shack and was taking waves over the bow. Got up at midnight, took a look, went back to bed (I know, I'm a sally). Got out the next morning and fished the sand break from Malmo up to the culvert. 1 big 9-10lb northern trolling, nothing else. Marked LOTS of fish and bait schools, but not a bite drifting shiners and leeches. Tried bare hooks, colored hooks, spinners, no spinners, jigs. Saw a few caught, not many. Finally figured out what they were doing that I wasn't just before I had to pack it in (Wife's birthday on the 14th but she let me go fishing anyway!!) The boats that were getting the few fish were pulling a drift sock or even sometimes 2. Looked like the ticket was slow, slow slow..... 'Course now I have to go out of town this wk on business and can't get out now that the weather is getting civilized!@*#$

3 walleyes in Vineland bay on Saturday 2-18's and 1-21. Ended up using 2 drift socks. Used 3 pairs of gloves to stay warm. The bite on Sunday morning was very light compared to Saturday, hardly saw any fish taken and those that bit you had to give them time to take it, lost several hits that way.

The SE corner by Mac's was very slow. There were some fish being caught but I'll bet only 1-2 fish per hour on average amongst 15-20 boats. SLOW did appear to be the key. It got tiring bucking the wind and rain... The water temp was around 46 degrees.

3 of my friends and I went out of Myr Mar Saturday evening(after we gave up trying to go out of Hunter's Point...too windy) from about 7:30pm to midnight. Caught 15 fish and we were able to keep 7. 4 of the 7 were 19 1/2 inches the other 3 were around 15-17 inches.

We were on rocks in about 8 feet of water with slip floats. The bites were consistant once the sun went down.

The above post was right...you had to let them take it for a while...we missed at least 10 fish. I set the hook on a 22" when the float came back to the surface...weird stuff.

6 guys 4 fish Friday night none Saturday went out for an hor then got blown off South end. Sunday night was the best 15 fish 8 slotes also put back 21,22,23,23,24,24 I think they will go good with some stable weather

be back next weekend.

Lab

Hey Labby its spode, email me [email protected] im heading up too Mille Lacs next saturday, hoping you can give me some info. We did well on Madison. We only fished from midnight-3am and caught 25 eyes, kept 8 nice eaters, we would have done better yet but i had a migraine kick my behind so we had too leave.

Fished north end sand monday. 6a.m.-1p.m. one 23incher, one miss for two guys. Sunny with very little wind and water temps of 46 to 47.

Should get better later in the week.

Jeff S

Started out Saturday on the north end sand drifting in 19-25 ft 1st fish caught was 29 1/2 than a 24 ,22 ,20 1/8 that hurt a 14 and a 17 at least we had supper that night . Moved to the the rocks at 8 pm caught 3 bobbering right away 2 were in the slot and one perch. not a bad first day 18 hours of fishing though. Sunday picked up my Daughter in Isle she's 9 got a late start on the water at noon fished the sand by anglers caught 3 on first drift all in the slot of coarse my daughter caught all 3 next drift one at 24 . nothing the rest of the day . Monday fished 9-5 one fish 26 thats it ..

Put 5 house in on the sand at Malmo. Tried 17' to 19' Had hits at 19'. One on that was too big.

Thanks for the reports guys. i can't wait to get out. It sounds like this summer is going to have a good bite going on.

Only fished 2 hours on Saturday because of the weather. Fished out from the Malmo Bay in 19 to 20 feet. I caught a 19 incher 5 minutes after we started fishing and I thought we were going to fill the boat and than we managed only two 15's and we called it a day. Sunday was much better and managed 8 fish between 14.5 and 19.5 and 6 more between 20.5 and 26. The Creel survey dude said that we had the best catch he had seen for the day. Monday was also OK with the four of us filling out our limits and releasing 5 more. All in all a very good opener and quite pleased considering the water temps. We found a "spot" that produced 75% of our fish. The key was atleast 18-21 feet of water and slow. We were using two drift socks at times. Leeches out produced minnows. I did also manage a couple jumbos and a bonus 33 inch gator that I thought for sure was a pig walleye. Anybody hear a guy swearing on Sunday afternoon on the north end it was me when I saw it was a northern. Use as light of sinker as possible to get you close to the bottom but not dragging. One guy in our group used a 1/4 once sinker the whole time and caught 4 fish between 24 and 26 inches. Good luck to all going up in the near future. I think it is going to be a great year. In comparing this year to last it was no contest. Last year we caught 4 walleyes in 2.5 days of hard fishing.

Sunday- southwest end 3 fish caught 14' 18-21" on the rocks. Monday northeast sand 7 caught 3 more missed. Much better this year.

Action in cove bay in about 10 feet of water. Using slip bobber and leeches with small hook. A number of boats there pulling up small wallys....

I am told Izaty's reef was relatively busy with slip bobber/leech setup as well. Better in evening than during the day...

Has anyone had any luck on Indian Point or in that area?

I'm going out tonight and I'm trying to figure out which area to target. Thinking either the indian point area or maybe Malmo. Any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks

Ole

• 11 months later...