• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bobber fishing rod

Walleye71

What type of rod do you guys prefer for bobber fishing? I have a variety of different types of rods for lindy rigs, bottom bouncing, trolling and jigging but nothing really specific for bobber fishing. i'm talking about bobber fishing for walleyes, not pan fish. If you have a preference or suggestions on what to get, let me know.

I like 7 1/2 to 8 ft rod. I have 1 St.croix and 1 fenwick that I use mainly for bobber fishing. They are both pretty stiff rods and the added length seem to help when your tring to set the hook at night and are not totally sure where your line is. I seem to get a much better hook set with the longer poles.

Good luck.

I second walldigger's opinion. I like a longer rod so I can get a good hookset and it also helps cast further.

do you guys use two piece rods or do you prefer the one piece rods. also can you get a eight footer in one piece. thanks.

Its amazing how specialized fishing is getting. There is a topic discussing what type of rod to use for bobber fishing! I took a look at my inventory and chuckled when i saw my bobber rods consisted of "cheap" or repaired rods. The only consolation that alleviates the sickness of breaking the tip off of a favorite fishing rod is knowing that the rod is salvagable and will make a good rod for bobber fishing. My opinion is that a good rod for bobber fishing should be sensitive. Like any other type of fishing you want to be able to feel the fish before you set the hook. Slack line results in missing alot of fish. Rod sensitivity will increase your reaction as to when to set the hook. A good backbone is also required. Windy conditions, fish swimming towards the boat, inattention, all result in slack line...a good backbone (med-med hvy) will increase hook sets once youve made the move. Rod length is good for casting distance, but there are some good rigging techniques that will let you cast a bait with a snoopy pole as far as you need. If you are buying a rod for bobber fishing and are considering 7' or 8', buy a two piece. Even my 6 1/2' bobber rods are two piece. They are much easier to store and haul around. The price is alot better for a two piece rod. Also, use a reel with a good drag system and as important as anything, USE SHARP HOOKS.