• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

opener results

We were out on Alexander at midnight and trolled til about 5 am. The fishing was not the best I have seen it but we ended up getting one really nice keeper and 6 short fish. The fishing seemed to die when the wind did. Look forward to hearing how it went with all of you guys out there on this opener.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

I went out from midnight to 2 a.m. in order to beat the bad weather predicted for Saturday. The wetaher wasn't too terribly bad, very light wind and a crispness to the air.

Looking at the lake today, I think I made the right move by going out at midnight. Conditions look brutal!

Didn't catch any walleyes, but did manage a nice 15" slab crappie at about 12:45 am. Fattest crappie I ever caught.

Water temps are down 10 degres from last weekend.

Good luck everyone!

Early reports were pretty poor overall. Tough conditions! The few good reports we've heard have found some walleyes deep in 25-30 feet on Gull. Lindy rigs and shiners produced some nice fish, 15-18 inchers. A couple of other boats caught some nice walleyes bobber fishing with shiners in shallow water, 8-10 feet along new emergent weeds. The night fishermen caught a few fish trolling Rapalas on Gull, but most fish were running smaller. Most anglers were just having a tough time staying warm and dry. We'll keep you posted as more reports roll in.

Jason Erlandson

Came up to the Crosslake area with my son and two brothers. We had crappie fished on Friday with decent results and stayed up a bit late Friday evening "chewing the fat" and just yucking it up. As a result we hit the water Saturday later than we would have liked. We had a fair number of bites that we missed but we managed to boat 7 keepers between 14 and 23 inches (our personal slot agreement was to release anything 13" and below, and anything 24" and over). Best results were on a chartreuse jighead and medum sized redtail in about 8 - 9 feet of water, working edges of new cabbage beds. Later in the day, fish dropped out to about 15 - 16 feet. We did get a couple on leeches and one on a shiner. Crawlers were a bust. Had 3 walleyes released. I guess not a bad opener for us considering the miserable conditions, but figure next weekend will be very hot.

our guides had ok results--nothing to really write home about but they had some decent action-most were on round lake in 18 to 22 feet running spottail shiners on lindys. We also had some good quantity results from gull but the size was like last years-still small. One of our good customers hit the crappies well on whitefish on the south side in the bays in 4 to 6 ft. he was using crappie minnow and feather jigs. the wind didn't affect him there much and that he figures was the difference in that he could hold on a spot.--more results to come monday!

We were all on Gull Saturday. No biggies, but had some action and thank goodness the weather wasn't to bad. I fished with Bill Sherck (Man About The Woods) and Cy the camera guy from Minnesota Bound. We had a good time and luckily enough the walleyes we caught (6) were caught while the camera was on. Like they say, timing is everything. We caught ours on the north end of Gull in 14-19 feet using shiners. The story should be airing in June, and if you were on the north end of Gull, you might be on the tube!! Bill and Cy are very neat guys and it was a fun opener. Hopefully the fish are a little more hungry tomorrow. I'll be out there somewhere!!

Walleyedan

Fished Alexander from 630 to about 1030 saterday morning and had decent success the first hour or so. Missed a couple nice eyes right next to the boat. Landed a 26 inch walleye at about 700. Everything was biting on green glow jibs and shinners. Nothing on leeches or chubs. We fished anywhere from 2-20 feet of water. Caught the 26 incher in about 6 feet. Most bites were in about 12-14 though.

Went to Fishtrap Saterday afternoon and all Sunday and caught about 15 northerns and 12 largemouth and ONE 21 inch walleye. My dad caught a largemouth that was well over 6 lbs!!!!

All and All it was a pretty bad weekend but it was better then working all tell you that!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!

Brian

Was on Gull Saturday.

My report for saturday. Well the morning was cold crisp as a typical opener. the morning was rather normal, walleyes were being caught up in the hayfield, typically most were out of 20+ feet of water. surface water grin.gifTemps were about 50-52 degrees. With the afternoon storms reaching 20-30 mph winds. hail on occasion.. We marked fish suspended feed on schooled up bait in 48+ feet. Wallidan was correct about the spawn over. walleyes were in post spawn period, scattered. We caught 3 eyes, 1 6lb northern, and 5 jumbo perch. Pretty much watched the sonar, and fished when our eletronics showed signs of life. My tips would be to fish deeper water adjacent to weed flats. 3/4" oz rigs, 6' snells. & spotted shinner from S&W. hey dan isn't it difficult with those logo' s on your boat (keeping people at least 20' from your boat?)

go lite for the bite.

Whiskey,

You do what you gotta do!! I'm glad I wasn't going full throttle when the ice pellets started coming down!!

Talk to you later,

Walleyedan

Got an even later start today than yesterday, brothers and son couldn't drag their dead butts out of bed. Didn't hit the water until almost 10 am but caught 5 'eyes in the first hour and a half, then sun came out and everything shut down. Was marking a lot of fish, lockjaw seemed to have set in. The 4 we kept were between 14 and 17 inches. All caught on chartreuse jigheads and redtails. Fish were adjacent to new cabbage weeds in about 12 feet, sand bottom. If we'd have been there at the crack of dawn, it may have been much better.

fished gull this weekend. 4 boats, 45 walleyes, 26" was the biggest. fished fairly hard. Redtails were the ticket.

Went to whitefish sunday nite. Got a 25 incher 10 min. after we anchored and then a 18 a little later. both on shiners. Water is 48 degrees, dropped almost 10 degrees the last week. Wallys were stacked up on the edges of the dropoff. Put down aqua view, wallys were everywhere but in very neutrel mood. We had a loon terrorizing us, couldnt throw out minnow, it would run after it and grab it, lucky we didnt hook it, what a fight that would be. Should be good towards next weekend if weather holds up.

Fished Round all weekend. Fishing was tough, but there were fish to be caught. Found the fish to be in the 15-20ft range and SCATTERED. Caught most of them riggin with spot tails, and moving VERY slow. No monster walleyes caught, but several over 20 inches. I was really impressed with the average size on round. The landing was a little tough though, so watch out.

Saturday was tough, but they turned on Sunday. We found some on Gull in 11'FOW on a underwater point with some new cabbage weeds. We pulled Lindy Rigs with spottail shiners. We ended up with a 15",17",22" & a 26". Smaller shiners produced the bigger fish.

Opened on Gull. We fished through Monday. It was nice to have Walleye Dan admiring our blue gloves, but he wouldn't spend $5 getting an autograph from Gardy. Now that would have spiced up his film footage. I am surprised to hear all of the glowing reports above. We ended up with a limit of nice eyes, but they were not easy. One here. One there. Over to Round for three or four Sunday evening, then nothing on Monday morning at Round. Caught most of our fish either over the weeds or in the weeds. Floating purple rap over the tops of the weeds caught more fish than any other technique (4). We saw lots of boats, but I bet we didn't see 10 fish caught by any of these other boats.

Really like the ice showers. I was sitting under the big top on Saturday afternoon, and the ice was coming down like ice rods. Not balls, but rods. We especially loved the 20 to 25 mph breeze that would pick up as each storm BLEW through.

As a Cheddarhead, I have a question. Your Governor, Mr. Pawlenty caught and kept 7 walleyes, his wife 5, and someone else in the party 9. Did they fish one day or two. Does Minnesota pay a reward to the TIP hotline? confused.gif

Fished Whitefish and Cross, nothing to write home about except did catch about 20 bass fishing by the docks/downed brush looking for Crappies...they were very hungry, which I thought for sure this cold front would have shut them down big time.

I heard nothing of the governer poaching. rather the news reports Pawlenty caught and released eight walleyes and Mary Pawlenty brought in five.