• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Opener Eve crisis!!!! Help!!!

Green&Gold

Question

I'm just throwing this out there if anyone has experienced similar problems and knows a potential solution. I have a 30 horse Yahama 2 stroke that is about 4 years old with a steering console (not a tiller.) I took it out Wednesday night and it was running fine. However when I was pulling back into the landing, I shifted the throttle back into neutral. The throttle physically moved into neutral but it stayed in gear. The only way I could stop my boat from crashing into the shore was to kill the engine. Then when I started back up, it would be running at a very high RPM...kinda like it was in gear, but the prop wasn't turning and I wasn't moving. Its seems to me that the throttle linkage is stuck. Maybe there's a cable thats not moving or something. Well I took it into a local dealer on Wednesday night. They just called me today and said their mechanic hasn't showed up for work and they probably won't be able to fix it for tomorrow. Now I am really screwed and pretty bummed out about not being able to fish. frown.gif Does anyone out there have experience with this type of problem or know a possible fix? I'll try anything at this point. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

3 answers to this question

I'll tell ya what, I had that same thing happen to me on my old mans runabout. The shifter physically went into neutral but the motor was still in reverse. Of course then we shut off the boat and guess what...it wouldn't start. We ended up getting a tow back to shore. I took apart the shift mechanism and wow....what a mess. Between the balls, plastic disks, and springs, I couldn't really tell if anything was wrong. Now this story probably didn't help at all, but...I took it apart and then put it back together and it worked fine. Something must have just been out of whack. Hope you get her fixed.

Thanks guys, I got her fixed. You can check my post on the pain forum if you want to know what was wrong. JH