• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a post to let everyone know that one of the wolf pups brought in last year has died. Apparently, she was killed by the other wolves on Tuesday night. You can read the whole story on the International Wolf Centers web site...Very sad for anyone who has watched the pups grow up from last spring/summer.

thats very sad indeed. my girlfriend helped a lot with those pups since day one, she will be very bummed when she finds out. nyssa was a gorgeous wolf.

Nyssa was the one who had a great fiesty attitude, and was the dominant of the two female pups. She was the nearly black wolf of the pack.

She wasn't killed outright, but wolf care workers found her last Wednesday morning after she'd been attacked, and the vet who was her primary caregiver put her to sleep after realizing she wouldn't survive her wounds. Both females had been spayed a few days earlier, and still bore the sutures from that surgery. They were recovering just fine from those surgeries. The wounds on Nyssa were on her abdomen.

It made a lot of people feel sad (me too), but the wolf curator pointed out that such killings happen occasionally in wild packs, and the pups were added to the pack so the pack's behavoir would more closely resemble a wild pack's social organization so guests could see more accurately how wild wolves behave.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Exactly, wolves kill wolves and the loss of the pup was only natural.

This is the first time I've heard of this wolf center. I checked out there site. How long does a tour last and do you think its something young kids would like? I'm always looking for new things for the family to do.

i forget how long the tour lasts, im sure not too long. and i dont think its very expensive either. kids would ABSOLUTLY love it. my gal was an intern there for a summer a few years ago, so she did a lot of presentations, ect, i got a free personal tour to boot. if she were here right now id get more info from her for ya.

i also know they do other programs too, like taking people out howling at night and something thats called "whats for dinner" where you get to watch them feed. its a stand up place for sure. lots of good people running it. its very educational, you actually get to hear the TRUTH about wolf populations, not just a slanted view from a PO'd rancher or local, or an extreme advocate like peta. the people are very educated and see things holisticly. i highly recommend a visit, especially for the wee-ladd. if ya want more info, let me know and i'll talk to the gal and post back.

I concur with Bruledrifter. I've come to know several of the folks there, and their mission is education, not slant.

It's a great place for kids, with information geared to all ages.

Thanks guys, I talked it over with the wife and were going to go check it out one day this summer.

Ran:

It's either a Friday or a Saturday evening. Can't remember which, but it's the event each week when they feed the wolves. They give them road-killed deer or trapper-killer beaver early in the evening after giving a presentation to the audience about wolf hunting and feeding habits. It should be on their Web site under a "What''s for dinner" heading, if I remember correctly. If you go to that one, you'll be sure to see the wolves, which aren't always out and active during the day, and you'll see a lot of classic wolf social structure behavoir as they work over their "kill." There are giant plate glass windows and built-in benches all along the theater and main area next to it facing the wolf enclosure. You can go for however long you want before they start the event and spend your time watching movies about wolves in the theater or going through the display areas and the kids' area.

There's also a gig where you go out after dark with one of the wolf center interns and howl to see if wolves howl back. We've done that a number of times, and also on our own, with good success.

I believe these are both paid events not included in the daily admission fee. I could be wrong about that. But the prices are reasonable for these things, at any rate. Or you could become a member and get it all for free. When you go in, you should ask the person at the till to total what your admission and events would cost so you can weigh it against a membership fee. My wife and I have been members, and a "pack" membership (family, in other words), is $50 for a year. That also gives you a discount if you plan to buy any wolf center clothing, art, souvenirs or other things in their store.

Not pushing for more wolf center members or anything (though their mission is an important one and they're good at it), just letting you know the options.

Have fun.

If you do decide take one of these little "howling" trips, listen carefully to the response you get.

I was laying out on the dock one night after sauna a couple of years back, enjoying a cold beverage and watching the stars when some zipperheads commence to howling. As their pathetic efforts to trigger a wolf response reached a ridiculous level, I couldn't take it anymore, and answered back.

Omigosh, were they excited!! They howled and howled and howled, frantically answering as I would from time to time take a sip of my beverage and then give a little yodel. My wife commented after a bit that she wondered if they had wet their pants in the excitement.

A neighbor who has one of those e-callers downloaded an MP3 of wolves, and between him and myself we have had a whale of good time with the dolts who think they need to wake people up at night with their howling.

I was there 3 weeks ago. Feedings are on Saturday night at 6:30PM I believe- after normal hours. Cost is around $4. Normal admission is quite a bit more. Lots of activities geared towards kids- it's a great place.

There is also a great place in Blaine called the Wildlife Science Center- awesome, awesome place. All their wolves (and Bobcats, and bears, and whatever else they happen to have) have been injured- and they are either nursng back to health for release, or have been debilitated enough that they could not make it on their own. Check out their website...

That was my only problem with the IWC- they get their wolves from breeders. I hate to see a healthy wild animal in captivity like that- but it is for a good purpose and they do lots of good for the species.