• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey everyone,

Went out 2 days in a row on the RLR here in Crookston and boy was that a treat. First of all with all the rebar near the old dam we were there for less that 10 minutes and decided to move as all we were doing was getting snags. Hence my namesake LOL. Down by the sandbar was some OK fishing I got one cat about 2-3 pounds and my counterparts had some swings and a miss. The next day out still as cold at the day before but much better fishing. First fish of the day was a walleye. Thrown back but man it would have been a good eater. Then an 8-10 lb cat. then another walleye also thrown back and then 3 more cats 3-6 lbs. Fun day of fishing.

Just a note: if you are down there please bring a garbage bag with you and help me clean it up. I took 2 bags from a small area yesterday and it's still nasty. Sad when we have to clean up after others but it has to be done.

FISH ON!!

IHRS, Rusty, or somebody in the know,

Any smallies being caught up near the dam yet? How about a ways downstream from the dam? Anything shaking? I'd like to take my nephew out there one day pretty soon, but I'll wait if the fish aren't moving yet.

Hey Scoot,

Those were the only times I have been down there so far and I have not heard of anyone catching smallies as of yet. But then again we were using monster sucker heads and tails and such. Not light tackle for smallies. I will let you know though when I hear of people catching them. BTW when does smallie season open this year. I have not looked at the regs yet and i've heard it's different than largemouth.

IHRS

LARGEMOUTH and SMALLMOUTH BASS (either or combined)

May 28, 2005- Feb. 19, 2006. Limit 6, Catch and release only for smallmouth bass from Sept 12 through the end of the season.

However I have seen a lot of folks catching Smallies down there lately.. I have booted several from the river already being they have been fishing for Eyes and Bass...Its amaizing how many people dont understand that they can not even fish for the fish even if they release the fish.. chances are that most of them did not have a license either.

Wiskers, I definitely hear you regarding the season. I am aware of the bass opener. I certainly wouldn't go down there looking to target bass, but I'd probably be fishing walleyes with a jig and plastic and catching a few bass would be inevitible if they're around. Also, just wondering if my nephew would have enough action to keep him preoccupied- a seven year old who needs a few bites to keep interested. But yep, you definitely won't see me down there pitching hula poppers targeting bass.

I do know for sure that the Eyes and bass are hungry.... they have been biting at everything.. I have even been getting them fishing for cats..

Happy fishing..................................

Hey Fellas,

Just wondering if anyone did any fishing on the river over opener? I was not able to get out but saw a few people down there and supposedly the walleye bite was on for only a few hours but in that time there were a few nice ones caught. Didn't see it but heard about it so confirm if you can.

IHRS

A buddy called me the other night (Wed or Thurs) about a huge walleye he had just seen. Over 10 pounds the guy was from Climax and was going to take it to get it mounted. Haven't fished down there since opener maybe tomorrow if weather is good.

Code-Man

Walleyes have been going pretty well according to my bro. He's been getting a few nice ones a night.

He saw the big one too. I thought he told me it was 11 pounds but I'd believe 10 just as well. grin.gif

I'll be back home for Memorial Weekend so maybe you'll see me down there. Will probably fish part of Sunday & Monday down at the dam.

That walleye was 11#, caught by a fella from Crookston.. I gave him pointers on getting into some Eyes. He called me that evening to come down and take some photos of it for him.. It was a real beauty.. I have pics.. but for some reason I can not get pics to show up in here...