• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Calhoun Dock

Does anyone know why they have not put the 36st dock out yet? its usualy up in April. also are the other Metro docks in like at Harriet or Nokomis confused.gif

I havent been around the lakes lately .. I didnt notice... That sucks for a lot of shore bound anglers. Maybe if you call the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board they might know something.

At Nokomis, the north dock hasn't been set up as of 5-11-05 and the south dock (floating dock) is anchored off the beach on the west side of the lake. What's the hold up??

Manny

I don't know about Calhoun, but they are notoriously late on Nokomis every year. I don't think they have had a Nokomis dock out before opener in about 7 years. Park board needs to get off their rears.

Dock goes out late, but you are lucky to make it 3 minutes after parking hours are over without a ticket... they are quick about some things.

dont tell me they are not putting up some docks like some past years due to lack of money ...........darn it

My friend and I were out this morning and I saw only one dock out - none of the docks on Harriet were. Also, all the snow fences on Lake of the Isles were taken down yet. It's a bit of a shame.

The sailboat dock by the bandshell at Lake Harriet is in.. not supposed to fish off it usually.. but it didnt stop about 6 people this afternoon.. if I were shore bound I would have been casting off it too...

Quote:

The sailboat dock by the bandshell at Lake Harriet is in.. not supposed to fish off it usually.. but it didnt stop about 6 people this afternoon.. if I were shore bound I would have been casting off it too...

We saw that, but we were there in the AM when they were having some sort of regatta, so that was out - we just went to Lake of the Isles, as it seemed to afford some better shore fishing spots.

Guys, sorry about the dock issues. I work for the Park Board but I don't work in the section that puts out the fishing docks. I do know that we ordered new docks this year in some locations and just got them last week. Contrary to popular belief, they do take longer than three minutes to put in but they do go in quick. It is my understanding the goal has always been to put the docks out by Memorial weekend. I'm working on getting that changed so they are out by the opener. In the past we use to build all the sailing docks which took a considerable amount of time. I have ordered new floating docks for all the locations so in the future we hope to speed up the process.

The Nokomis docks are on the scheduled for tomorrow, Harriet 47th street dock should be in today and the other dock is new and being rigged. The Calhoun docks are on the schedule for this week as well. One thing to keep in mind is that if there is any wind we don't try to put them in. They are extremely heavy are hard to manuver in strong winds.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the info. I seen the new docks being put together yesterday, they look nice . that was on Harriet where they said they were going to replace the one on the north east corner with the new and move that one farther over , as for Calhoun would have been up allready but Guy doing the welding repairs cant move to fast. Needs help. should be up by end of week. Stenzel when will long boat dock at calhoun go up. Went down to put boat in yesterday but cant unless I feel like wadeing grin.gif OH yea I know that you said the goal was for Memorial weekend. But the city in the past has been realy good at getting them out usally by late April to early May. But like you said an I have seen New docks.

Dragon Fish... Give me a call.. my boat is ready for the water any time... who needs the boat dock?

Theres a few fish with my name on them out there(Calhoun).. but its best to have 2 people at the launch.. 1 person to watch the boat while the other finds a place to park.

I'll call you sometime today after I fix my truck.. new alternator yesterday that went out last night?? One of those lifetimes....

Stenzel would it be possable to get a real fancy porta potty installed on the brand new dock at Calhoun. But if not would the city be willing to put a normal one by the path. sure would help ease paying for parking,not to mention the blatter. grin.gif

Hey stenzel, maybe you can petition to have the uptown lakes get stocked with more bass and muskies. Too many people keep the fish from those lakes.

Porta Potties are hard to come by at times. It seems we get request to put one at every spot people recreate. You can imagine what the shore line would look like if we did. I'll look into it and see what is close and what the numbers look like.

As for stocking the lake with more Bass and Muskies, we are aware that many of these fish are being taken and consumed. We don't actually stock the lakes, the DNR takes care of that. I do know that they will be studying all the Minneapolis lakes this year through creel samples so don't be surprised to be asked a lot either on the lake or at the docks.

Hey .. how about a reserved parking spot for me near the new replaced dock for the WEST side of Calhoun so many people used to frequent?.. right next to the new porta-potty, and a security outpost to keep deviants from getting into my vehicle? Rod holders, side finders, underwater camera's, and weatherproof recliners would be nice too.. but no material that would get too hot in the sun.

I suppose that might be asking a little too much?

I suppose you want us to send a diver down and snag the fish and put them on the hook for you too. grin.gif Your request are not to far off from some of the ones I do get, only they're serious confused.gif

Stenzel,

I fish Harriet and Calhoun quite a bit and need to share a few pet peaves with the city - If you can respond great, if not this is going to make me feel better. This is all related to the lot by the launch on Harriet.

1)How come the sailboat club can completely shut down a parking lot on lake Harriet on Opener, or anyother time for that matter? I paid for a pass and need to park my boat and trailer in that lot.

2)Can we have a sign to tell people that don't have a trailer to park in front to back of each other? This way if you do have trailer you can still park and the lot is not taken up by a bunch of staggered cars.

3) I was told this year when I purchased my parking pass that it covers my boat and attached trailer - do all the parking patrols understand this? I got a ticket years ago because I paid for my car and not the trailer, made me mad...

Thanks

MN

MN,

I'll try my best to answer some of these questions.

1) I ssued the permit to the Yaht club to hold their event on the lake. I also made them pay for an officer to be on site to assist with the sailors and fishermen. We never give exclusive use of the boat ramp. Because it is opening weekend, anybody can launch a boat at the ramp. As for parking, it's first come first serve and once it's full then street parking is the only thing available. I know it's not the best situation but we do make sure that the access is open for everyone.

2) I could put 100 signs down there and it wouldn't help. What I've noticed is people will park double in the stall but then as people leave it appears that they only single parked. On evenings of the concerts it gets a little tight. With the parkway being a one way it does become a little more challenging to park but it can be done. Keep in mind that the lake is in an urban area and parking is ALWAYS going to be an issue. We try to accomidate the best we can with all the various users. My goal is a new ramp with parking at Calhoun. It may take a few years but we are looking at some spots.

3) You do NOT need an extra sticker for your trailer. About two years ago I got that changed. You probably got a ticket a few years ago when that was a requirement. I had that changed along with the need for a boat and electric trolling motor permit. The lakes are still electric trolling motor only but you can keep your motor on the boat and you don't need a special permit to go out.

MN, hope I answered some of your questions.

Finally a good use for that volleyball course! .. a new parking lot with stalls for vehicles with trailers only, accomidated by a new launch, porta potty, and a small bait shop to cover all of our needs locally.

I can dream cant I? confused.gif

The access where it is at is nice in one way.. its close to the channel to access the other lakes, which becomes an issue on battery life(electric motors only) if a person wants to make it out fishing for more than a few hours and fish the other lakes... downfall... the parking issue.. some days your lucky and its close.. others you are circling the city streets for 30 minutes to find a spot while your boat is unattended if your alone.

There is a little bit of *terrain* on the north side off lake street where the windsurfers tend to hang out.. but a parking lot already exist.. a ramp there wouldnt be bad.. except for the parking, then you would lose the residential street overflow parking(needed with trailer)... maybe SOME of that issue could be taken care of by some vehicle with trailer parking only.. 6 stalls would go A LONG ways on Calhoun.. obviously sailboaters would use them too.. but its a *chance* to get a parking space at the least.

6 trailer parking spots on Calhoun, and 4 at Harriet would add much relief to fishermen on some days.. not always, but like I said earlier.. there would at least be a *chance* to get a spot.. there are not that many vehicles with trailers that use the lake daily.

I wouldnt even mind paying an extra $10/year to be able to park in a designated space for boat trailers.

Whats up with the access at Cedar by the fishing dock? Theres a big grassy area down there that isnt used much that would provide some parking opportunity.. and it would allow fishermen(and other boaters) to access a lake away from the summer traffic away from the most popular lake(Calhoun)... not to mention.. the access is located at the about the busiest part of the lake now on calhoun.. one must be careful to not run people over backing up the boat... that is if they can even turn into the driveway anywhere near rush hour.. it just seems there is a better place.

I dont expect any answers.. these were just some ideas coming from a fisherman who regularly uses the city lakes by boat. I guess I would rather have the opportunity to launch somewhere away from the mayhem, and have to travel further to access some of the fishing areas.. At the same time, if there was an active launch on another lake(Cedar), it would pull some of the fishermen boat traffic away from Calhoun and relieve a little bit of the congestion there. It would be really nice to have a *dedicated* boat launch and boat parking somewhere. It is not in our(boaters) best interest to run people over trying to launch the boat, and its not in pedestrians best interest to have some big, obnoxious truck(with limited view) trying to back across the walk, and bike path when a family is out for a walk or ride with their 3 and 5 year old kid trying to enjoy the lakes.. We all have a right to be there, but it doesnt mean that we are in each others best interest for an outing.

Stenzel,

Thanks for the quick response, I am glad to hear that there is someone on the "inside" looking out for the interest of the urban fisherman.

I drove by the access on Harriet Sat. Am and the Yacht club had the whole lot blocked off with baricades - didn't seem right to me. Also,I have seen trucks parked on the lot with the trailer parked on the grass - can I do that?

I understand that parking is always going to be an issue, I think it sometimes seems that sailers can do things that boaters can't. I like Fisher Dave's idea about dedicated boat and trailer spaces.

Thanks for listening and thinking of us.

MN

MN .. you have probably seen me parked with the trailer on the grass before.. and occasionaly my trailer locked to a tree, or a canoe rack, sign post.. etc.. I doubt its legal, but I havent been bothered about it yet...

Do any of you know if the lake Hiawatha dock is up or will it be put up at all? thanks for any information

MN

If you drove by and saw the ramp closed on Saturday it was not suppose to be. I will look into it and I promise you that next year a fisherman will be able to launch. As for parking on the grass. If they were, they were illegal. I try to be fair with everyone and I don't give privilages to one user group over another. Fisher Dave... I hear no evil wink.gif

hey stenzel since the city lakes done allow electric motors it would be nice to have a launch at cedar lake or at isles. There is a launch at cedar lake but it doesnt seem like your allowed to launch your boat there unless its a canoe. or is it ok for me to hop the curb with my jeep and luanch there anyways? thanks.

Thundercat - I too noticed the launch when I ventured back there a few years ago. I inquired and was told it's the launch for the milfoil machine.

With some small improvements that launch could be used for boats as well and with the excess frontage road on the west side of the lake there would be adequate parking for the few boats that would use the launch. My gut tells me there are some big bass in that lake!

DB

hey doon, wanna give that lake a try one of these days? i got a boat with 55# thrust trolling motor.

Stenzel,

You could get at the access, but they had the lot whole parking lot blocked off.

MN